Motorhome Breakdown Cover vs Car Breakdown Cover

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by The Dude, Sep 22, 2014.

1. The Dude

The Dude Funster

How come Safeguard can insure our motorhome and provide 12 months breakdown cover in Europe for just over £300 p.a. but with the AA it costs anywhere between £233 and £341 p.a. purely for European breakdown cover (no insurance cover) for our car plus £95 UK breakdown cover when the car is worth about 25% of the value of the motorhome? It just doesn't make sense to me or am I being dim??
    Any advice welcome.

2. stcyr

stcyr Funster

While Adac covers ANY vehicle owned or driven, throughout Europe, for under €80 ....................

• Like Like x 1
  3. busby

busby Funster

And ADAC cover MOROCCO .....BUSBY:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Would have liked ADAC cover as I have heard they are very good, but have also read that they are not accepting any new members from outside Germany - something to do with a disagreement they have had with the AA.................... unless anyone knows any different?

5. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Plus all countries bordering the Med .... (y)

6. Lostasusual

Lostasusual

Here's a bit of news that might be of interest concerning UK and European breakdown. I learnt today that, despite incorrectly printed mail shot information, the new Nationwide FlexPlus current account @ £10 per month gives you full coverage for all vehicles you own including motorhomes up to 7.5 ton, up to 8m in length. You also get the worldwide holiday insurance and a number of other extra services. It seems like a pretty good deal to me.
    I'd been struggling with what way to jump having AA membership that didn't seem keen suitable to cover my motorhome at 3.65ton + separate holiday insurance cover.
    Has anyone else made use of the Nationwide account offering as a motorhome breakdown solution?

7. Ninovan

Ninovan Funster

Just looked through the "At a Glance Summary of Features" from my Nationwide Flex Plus Account. UK & Europe breakdown & recovery specifically excludes .... motorcycles, motorhomes, caravanettes, commercial vehicle, etc., etc. (Page 8). Also, vehicles must be less than 7.0 metres in length, 2.3 metres wide, 3 metres high & weigh less than 3.5 tonnes fully loaded.

Think I'll be making a call tomorrow for clarification. :confused:

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

I was told by an AA mechanic that the ADAC cover is no longer valid. ADAC were paying only a small amount of the breakdown recovery cost, making the tie up not financially viable. It wasn't too bad covering German holiday makers on a reciprocal agreement, but when large numbers of Brits signed up it all reached breaking point

Until ADAC can renegotiate the cover or find a new partner, it wont pay them to take on new British customers

That's what I was told anyway

9. busby

busby Funster

Well a mechanic would know...BUSBY...

10. Ninovan

Ninovan Funster

Result! Just rang Nationwide and Lostasusual is spot on. Apparently the underwriters changed their conditions, etc. in the last few weeks. Therefore all motorhomes up to 7.5 tonnes & 8 m long are covered for UK & European breakdown & recovery through FlexPlus. No registration of vehicles needed. (y)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lostasusual

Lostasusual

Ninovan - Re Nationwide cover. Also received confirmation email from them that the breakdown cover applies to your spouse's use of your vehicles. It seemed to be another grey area due to lack of up to date T&C.
    Britannia runs the service.

• Like Like x 2
  12. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I'm struggling with this at the moment as well. Arrival seems the best option but as I'm already an rac member they are being funny about payments (I'm on monthly and they only offer annual for arrival) plus

The nationwide Web site still says motorhomes are excluded and rescuemycar have a height restriction of 2.40

Agggggggggg

13. Debs

Debs Funster

Not 100% sure but I thought you also had to be a member of the c&cc for arrival. Also I seem to remember there was a discussion about this a few weeks ago as to the difference in prices paid (and whether you had european cover or not)

14. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

There was.. I've been searching. As a new customer RAC will do arrival including membership of c&cc but as an existing member they will charge me more money, not include the membership and prevent me from paying monthly as I have for years as an RAC member. One of those I could have put up with but all 3 added together is winding me up.

Although I'm struggling to find an alternative

• Like Like x 1
  15. Debs

Debs Funster

Isn't ADAC plus what you need?, again thought I'd read it on here

16. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Seems to be some confusion about whether they are still doing it for UK customers and I don't like the idea of having the rug pulled because the cover isn't right.

I tried calling the number but realisted meine deutsch was too rusty lol

17. Debs

Debs Funster

No idea if this will work or if it will disappear up it's own whatnot but this was the thread here

• Like Like x 1
  18. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Regarding Adac.. They still use the AA
    Still taking membership.. But I think it's for plus only..
    You have to phone.. The number has been posted on here numerous times.. They do speak English. (most do.. Or just ask)

19. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

After extensive searching I found another company too.. have asked for some more details and will confirm when I talk with them.

20. Lostasusual

Lostasusual

Debs.
    I went for Nationwide FlexPlus to get the motorhome breakdown cover for UK and Europe. Their paperwork is still wrong but, for the cost, I can't see a better option.

• Like Like x 2