Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
york
Funster No
MH
peugeot boxer
Exp
march 2014
Got up this morning at 6:00 to go to work Ang was going to give me a lift as she wanted the car.
At 6:15 I asked Are you getting up answer no I feel a bit dopy tablets for her bad back last night.
OK I'll take the van...
Would hardly turn over..
So got the jump starter I got for my birthday in February never charged it..
would not start van.

Ang called get dressed quick take me to work. arrived at work.

Phoned Mick. Do me a favour get me a Battery for the van drop it ta my house and I will pay you Monday.
At work today 7 til 7
Saturday 9 til 6

Think it may be the dab radio as I've been trying to tune in the stations without much success.
Also radio turns on without ignition being on is this a good thing or should I re wire it.
thanks
Dean

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
It may be worth your time to charge the battery and have it tested before you go to the expense of a new one? Intelligent battery charger left on whilst van not in use may be a better solution to the same problem in the future?

OP
OP
dac5

dac5

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
york
Funster No
MH
peugeot boxer
Exp
march 2014
Last night the battery I removed was a big brute and heavy too. 110 amps
fitted the new one not quite as big 72 amps,
Will the amp difference impact on the running of the van?
The flat battery was caused by me leaving the radio on with the volume turned right down :Doh: as that was the first thing that came on when the new battery was connected.

I took the face plate off the radio so that I won't do that again, I will re wire the radio through the ignition next week.
thanks
Dean

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
The flat battery was caused by me leaving the radio on with the volume turned right down :Doh: as that was the first thing that came on when the new battery was connected.

My radio works in the same way so I know just how easy it can be to leave it on.

However, I like to listen to the radio and music whilst parked up so haven't bothered to change it to the ignition.

We just bought all new batteries for this year. Two big leisure batteries and one for the van itself. It wasn't cheap, but at least I know we will be on full power for the next few years - hopefully!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Last night the battery I removed was a big brute and heavy too. 110 amps
fitted the new one not quite as big 72 amps,
Will the amp difference impact on the running of the van?

I took the face plate off the radio so that I won't do that again, I will re wire the radio through the ignition next week.
thanks
Dean

if the original was 110ah then the replacement should be the same....or very close.
The battery capacity is determined by electrical load requirements.

72ah may not leave enough in reserve for repeated stop/starts if the need arises.......long traffic jams etc.....as its effectively half flat before you use it.

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Rewire the radio to the leisure battery then no problem starting.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
Try re-wiring it to the ACC (accessory) position on the ignition switch - that way it's definitely 'OFF' when you remove the key and the ignition isn't 'ON' in the 'ACC' position.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the wrong battery is going to cause problems later as not man enough to handle the load of cold starting with glow plugs and then multiple starts.probably lucky to get it to last a year, so not really saving money

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back