Motorhome Battery

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by dac5, May 2, 2014.

1. dac5

dac5 Read Only Funster

Got up this morning at 6:00 to go to work Ang was going to give me a lift as she wanted the car.
    At 6:15 I asked Are you getting up answer no I feel a bit dopy tablets for her bad back last night.
    OK I'll take the van...
    Would hardly turn over..
    So got the jump starter I got for my birthday in February never charged it..
    would not start van.

Ang called get dressed quick take me to work. arrived at work.

Phoned Mick. Do me a favour get me a Battery for the van drop it ta my house and I will pay you Monday.
    At work today 7 til 7
    Saturday 9 til 6

Think it may be the dab radio as I've been trying to tune in the stations without much success.
    Also radio turns on without ignition being on is this a good thing or should I re wire it.
    thanks
    Dean

2. martin1485

martin1485 Funster

It may be worth your time to charge the battery and have it tested before you go to the expense of a new one? Intelligent battery charger left on whilst van not in use may be a better solution to the same problem in the future?

3. dac5

dac5 Read Only Funster

Last night the battery I removed was a big brute and heavy too. 110 amps
    fitted the new one not quite as big 72 amps,
    Will the amp difference impact on the running of the van?
    The flat battery was caused by me leaving the radio on with the volume turned right down :Doh: as that was the first thing that came on when the new battery was connected.

I took the face plate off the radio so that I won't do that again, I will re wire the radio through the ignition next week.
    thanks
    Dean

4. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

My radio works in the same way so I know just how easy it can be to leave it on.

However, I like to listen to the radio and music whilst parked up so haven't bothered to change it to the ignition.

We just bought all new batteries for this year. Two big leisure batteries and one for the van itself. It wasn't cheap, but at least I know we will be on full power for the next few years - hopefully!

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if the original was 110ah then the replacement should be the same....or very close.
    The battery capacity is determined by electrical load requirements.

72ah may not leave enough in reserve for repeated stop/starts if the need arises.......long traffic jams etc.....as its effectively half flat before you use it.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Rewire the radio to the leisure battery then no problem starting.:thumb:

7. Daifuse

Daifuse

Try re-wiring it to the ACC (accessory) position on the ignition switch - that way it's definitely 'OFF' when you remove the key and the ignition isn't 'ON' in the 'ACC' position.

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the wrong battery is going to cause problems later as not man enough to handle the load of cold starting with glow plugs and then multiple starts.probably lucky to get it to last a year, so not really saving money