Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The best manufacturer in the world could produce a brillantly designed, superbly constructed, totally new motorhome packed with every conceiveable feature and "add on extra" as standard AND sell it for £5000, brand new with a 50 year, unconditional warranty...

... but unless they paid for advertising in MMM, it wouldn't be reviewed nor would it win an award.

Useless magazine... too shiny for the nail on the wall of the loo in the backyard.

JJ :cool:

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Does it matter which MH wins? Because we will all buy the one that suits our pockets and lifestyle, similar to the cars we buy and most other purchases we make. However , I do think that the mmm magazine is probably the one to buy if you have a motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
But it is kinda difficult to tell porkies about a service Eddie..
While a MH or caravan can be viewed with rose tinted glasses and bad bits either ignored or put down to 'character', a service given is either good, bad or indifferent
So an award such as you have won is well earned mate, and is extremely difficult to deny or fiddle in any way

Jaws was awarded best after sales and best mail order two years running by one of the big three mags.. And believe me I never spent a single penny on advertising. It was a consumer vote thing, so yes, it does happen :)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
The best manufacturer in the world could produce a brillantly designed, superbly constructed, totally new motorhome packed with every conceiveable feature and "add on extra" as standard AND sell it for £5000, brand new with a 50 year, unconditional warranty...

... but unless they paid for advertising in MMM, it wouldn't be reviewed nor would it win an award.

Useless magazine... too shiny for the nail on the wall of the loo in the backyard.

JJ :cool:
Totally agree wouldn't read it if they gave it away.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The CC award won by the Autotrail Imala 615 was of course the correct decision. Why? well it's obvious, I own one and the rest of you own shit vans, isn't that how it works:reel: :boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing:;)(y):moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2::moon2:

Let's face it who else would honestly give AT an award :D

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
.. but unless they paid for advertising in MMM, it wouldn't be reviewed nor would it win an award.

I've met the editor of the magazine, and he came across as a nice down to earth guy and I certainly didn't think he was dishonest type, on the contrary. If the quoted statement is true then it would be quite damning and illegal not to disclose it. I don't believe it is true. I rather think the best/most popular motorhomes advertising in the leading industry mag is not unusual so more a coincidence.

Maybe we should start our own awards :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
"Luxury motorhome of the year" Pilote Premium Class LV6.8LF no rear wheel drive IVECO or Merc option, not for me thanks, just goes to show we are all different.

Martin

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Nooooo please don't :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

How to plug a ehu cable in has run to 5 pages and huge disagreements.:doh:
Best Van Award could end in WW3.:wink:

Why bother anyway we all know its Hymer:imoutahere:
Nope RV's would win all the awards lol 10MPG at £0.50 a litre before anyone mentions gas guzzlers :whistle:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A good friend of my used to write the motoring reviews for the local rag, never saw a bad review.
When he wanted to on holiday with his family to France he would ring one of the manufactures press office and borrow a shiny new people carrier & it would be delived to his door.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
120% tax - but then they do have a welfare and publicly funded healthcare system that works...
120%? bow does that work!lol

Whatever it is still working.....had a few Danish girlfriends of my 23 year old son staying with us last month.(chip of the old block.:)) He meet them travelling in south America. One still at uni, all free and they even get a free monthly grant towards living expenses. We treat our young absmally! :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011

Oh, I don't think there will be any argument.....

Award.jpg

So, we're all agreed then?

Paul

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

"I'm going to fit a shelf" thread catching up!:)

I blame the weather myself.....

HarryBasilNigel

Free Member
Mar 23, 2016
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
In 1975 my dear old Dad bought a new Austin Allegro on the strength of car magazine reviews .... Square steering wheel and all.

Jun 18, 2008
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588 PL
Exp
34 Years
Oh, I don't think there will be any argument.....

View attachment 99726

So, we're all agreed then?

Paul

Now you are joking. Ive had new motorhomes for 30 years and the worst one I bought was a Swift. From day one bits kept falling off meaning many trips back to the dealers. In the end the roof leaked.
I wouldnt recommend a Swift to my worst enemy.
Its Hymers for me.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Now you are joking. Ive had new motorhomes for 30 years and the worst one I bought was a Swift. From day one bits kept falling off meaning many trips back to the dealers. In the end the roof leaked.
I wouldnt recommend a Swift to my worst enemy.
Its Hymers for me.

Dunno about this year - but our 2009 one was fine and nothing ever dropped off it.

But what I was going to say was to JAWS - being me I'd have accepted the all expenses paid knees up and jolly, then said, 'Thanks ever so, that was fun. No - I haven't changed my mind, it's still crap!'

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I had a car that made a couple of pimp your car type finals in competition, I lost the last final to a girl ,her mates put the story around that she was going to get her boobs out I'd she won ,so all the blokes voted for her ,not bloody fair I say , the lying bitch did not get em out when she won :)

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Why do these same magazines, which I take every month, not tell the truth about the dealer prices in the UK and the ripoff compared to the EEC market, which we are meant to be part of. The big makers are all in it as well but the mugs over here still insist on buying them and a great increase of price. I suspect that the revenue from the adverts are greater than the amount of integrity they show. I think it is also a case of TREASURE ISLAND again. They will pay so we will charge them. Hymers in Germany all seem to be well loaded with OPTIONS and still a damn sight cheaper than the basic ones here. Is it because the German buyers demand value?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back