Motorhome and trailer sailer combinations. (1 Viewer)

DenDastardly

Free Member
Jan 24, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
1 year
Looking to get a Hymer S700 eventually – only found 3 at mo and none with drop down beds - but as a stop-gap an S550 would do to get me through. I would like to get advice on the kind of trailer sailer these particular motorhomes would manage if anyone can help advice-wise. Looking at a bilge keel Hurley 22 like this one ) or is this out of the question...

Am I gonna have to consider another marque such as RMB or? Perhaps someone could suggest some rigs they know of? Thanks in advance folks.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I guess you concern is around towing limits, it looks like the boat and trailer will be 2t plus a bit. The towing limit on any motorhome will depend on the chassis and gearbox combination as some auto's have a lower limit so you would need to check the plate.

The other factor is you license?

I believe the rules are max allowable mass of the vehicle plus max allowable mass on the trailer gives you a "train weight" this must be within your license limits, buying a heavier vehicle can sometimes be counter productive as it can reduce the trailer mass allowed due to the train weight rules.

I think what I am trying to say is that it not exactly straight forward, and a bit more in formation would help.

Martin

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Most motor homes will not tow anywhere near 2 tons if that's what you need, certainly the ones that we have had was something like 1.5 tons and any that have been plated upwards then it's even less.
Panel vans will tow 2.5 tons if kept at the 3.5 ton weight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DenDastardly

Free Member
Jan 24, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
1 year
Thanks for the swift response Martin. I’ve been trawling through forums and have ended up with more questions than answers hence my post.

Was aiming to get manual as it seemed to offer more grunt. License no prob as old bugga. Suspect the S550 chassis is beefy enough to be re-plated higher which would give a greater payload etc but lost track of where I came across that pearl – or mebbe it was another Hymer model...

I know there are folk here who have boats and with luck they’ll chip in... bottom line is I want both motorhome and trailer sailer and so long as the mh is German and the boat Ye Olde English old (Lloyds spec) I am very flexible. Cheers Den

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for the swift response Martin. I’ve been trawling through forums and have ended up with more questions than answers hence my post.

Was aiming to get manual as it seemed to offer more grunt. License no prob as old bugga. Suspect the S550 chassis is beefy enough to be re-plated higher which would give a greater payload etc but lost track of where I came across that pearl – or mebbe it was another Hymer model...

I know there are folk here who have boats and with luck they’ll chip in... bottom line is I want both motorhome and trailer sailer and so long as the mh is German and the boat Ye Olde English old (Lloyds spec) I am very flexible. Cheers Den
Don't forget that if the payload is increased by up plating then the weight you can tow goes down, in other words your train weight stays the same.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Most motor homes will not tow anywhere near 2 tons if that's what you need, certainly the ones that we have had was something like 1.5 tons and any that have been plated upwards then it's even less.
Panel vans will tow 2.5 tons if kept at the 3.5 ton weight.
My 3500kg max wt Auto-Sleeper panel van has a train weight of 6500kg. I'm in the process of uprating the max wt to 4500kg, but that still leaves a decent towing capacity.

OP
OP
D

DenDastardly

Free Member
Jan 24, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
1 year
Thanks ? This is exactly the kind of info I need and I may have to settle for a smaller boat and trailer at the end of the day but getting an idea here of options. Den

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
My 3500kg max wt Auto-Sleeper panel van has a train weight of 6500kg. I'm in the process of uprating the max wt to 4500kg, but that still leaves a decent towing capacity.
My Boxer has a train weight of 6000kg so perhaps you have the Maxi one with 16 in wheels.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ours is on a IVECO daily chassis with 3 litre 6 speed manual, has a MAM of 6000kg and train of 9000kg or 9500kg (can't remember and not important to me) maximum rear axle loading is something like 4000kg and from the factory a payload of 1400kg.

Martin

OP
OP
D

DenDastardly

Free Member
Jan 24, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
1 year
Thanks everyone - reckon the boat needs to be a wee thing as the Hymer comes first - gonna start a new more specific thread ....
I have tried registering with Hymer organisations without any joy - either you have to own one first before you can get advice (thanks a lot!) or the website registration fails or you have to use facebook - not ready for all that.. so I'll continue to post questions here...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back