Motorhome Alarm Or Tracker?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Oriel, May 10, 2015.

1. Oriel

Oriel

We've decided on a MH but it doesn't have an alarm or tracker. We're quite surprised that the alarm isn't standard but obviously it isn't. Anyway, we'd feel happier to have a security system of some sort. Which would you recommend? An alarm or tracker?

2. Sue

Sue Funster

what do your insurance company ask for,? ours wanted immobiliser as a priority

3. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi Oriel

I guess they dont fit alarms as standard as fitted in Germany they would not be Thatcham recognised and your insurance company would not accept it, our Flair came from the factory with the standard fit Niesmann alarm with button to put the awning light on, open just the hab door, open all doors etc etc, But it is disabled and a Sigma has been fitted obviously for insurance.

We now have both alarm and tracker, but I would second what Sue has said about checking with the insurance company to see what their minimum requirements might be.

Martin

4. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

Most if not ALL insurance companies require an alarm a few depending on MH value a tracker.

5. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Assuming this fits with your insurance requirements, I would recommend the Strikeback alarm from Vanbitz (Trade Funster). Specifically designed for motorhomes and Thatcham approved.

• Like Like x 5
  6. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Depends upon your attitude towards risk and what your insurer says. I would go for alarm first, then one of the cheap DIY trackers that are now available.

7. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

It depends whether you want to protect yourself and possessions or the insurance company?

• Like Like x 1
  8. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

Martin the current Cobra that N+B fit is Thatcham CAT 1 approved.

9. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

The unit may be listed on the Thatcham list. For your own peace of mind ensure that you have a valid Thatcham Category One insurance certificate. If you suffered a loss and could produce that you'd be in trouble.

The problem is that each European Country has its own "insurance" lists but different fitment criteria. We struggled to sell Strikeback to a French dealer due to the same issue.

So I always suggest check you've got the certificate.

• Like Like x 1
  10. funflair

Hi Michael

I bow to your superior knowledge, I guess specifically for the UK market.

Now I am going to have to go read all my old brochures and spec sheets.

Martin

11. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

our insurers want either alarm or tracker, I currently still have neither being inherently lazy, I am favouring the Tracker on price and convenience, having said that I have always said that should a car or now MH ever get stolen do I really want it back??

due to the build of our particular MH connecting to the correct wiring seems to be difficult, but maybe the company didn't really want to do it, they seemed to think the dash might need to come out and one of the cupboards, not I fancy letting anybody do that let alone whether they want to or now

Maybe I need a trip to Eddie, provided I don't have to have those monstrous blue LED things, parked next one at a meet, kept us awake :D:D

12. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

Hi Martin,
    Not superior knowledge I am afraid, I originally did not specify the N+B alarm for all the reasons covered in various posts on here however when I was out out at the factory I saw the alarm install and manuals per chance. In it there was reference to Thatcham. So I got model details and approached Cobra in the UK. They sent the email below. I passed this to my insurer and they confirmed that it was satisfactory, and as I have that by email I feel reasonably comfortable. If it turns out that I need to replace it then so be it, if not it has saved me some hassle?

Hi Michael

The alarm G198 is a Thatcham accredited 2-1 alarm system (Thatcham accreditation number: TQA 378).

It has two remote controls, and battery back-up siren.

I have attached the Installation & User Guide for the alarm.

Please let me know if you need any more info.

Best regards

Nigel Grove
    Application Engineering

[​IMG]

UNIT 5 FIVE SIX FIVE

DUTTONS WAY

SHADSWORTH BUSINESS PARK

BLACKBURN

BB1 2PT

13. Oriel

Oriel

Thank you very much for your helpful replies.

I'll talk with the insurance company before deciding.

Just to show how new to all of this I am.... can anyone tell me what the Thatcham list is please?

14. funflair

Thatcham is an independent testing lab for insurance related items, alarms, locks, immobilisers and even apparently accident repair times and procedures.

I think.

Martin

15. GRC

GRC Funster

We have the whole set alarm/tracker with imobliser, we insure with Adrian Flux & it took our policy from £800 to £300 with only £100 excess on upto 7000 miles per year, 3 months allowed in Europe, so very very happy with that.

Ps,
    Every time the wifey accidentally sets the alarm off, the nice man from tracker firm rings me on my mobile for a quick chat, bloody nice bloke. We chat most weeks.

• Like Like x 3
  16. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

Vanbitz Growler with Tracker (y)

Our insurance does not require any protection whatsoever but piece of mind comes at a price & Vanbitz supply the best END so we forked & are glad we did, the alarm system can be used while sleeping securely & I can check the location of the vehicle 24/7 7 when the alrm goes of the whole estate or campsite knows it also the super bright leds light up the street at night.

I will gladly demonstrate if asked :whistle:

• Like Like x 3
  17. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Yes it's sort of independent, its payrolled by these insurance companies.

Insurers Thatcham.png

It was established by the motor insurance industry in 1969 Clearly if the insurance industry can contain or reduce the cost of motor insurance claims, then they are happy bunnies, they are also maintaining safety standards so its a win-win for the insurance company and us.

So, they set a standard of alarm, approve particular alarms as being effective and insist we fit one before they insure us, sounds fair enough. However it's worth remembering that the Thatcham Approved check-mark for alarms is only given to the actual alarm in it's shrink-wrapped cardboard box. While Thatcham do have a non compulsory Approved Installer Scheme, the alarms 'quality assurance' means nothing if it is fitted by a cowboy or a well intentioned but inexperienced fitter.

As for choosing an alarm OR a tracker, that's easy, I'd choose an alarm first, but the cost of trackers has reduced considerably and there is no reason why you should not be armed with both.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We weren't 'told' we had to have either for our new PVC but wanted an alarm anyway because we park in out of the way places, often on our own, so being able to alarm the van whilst sleeping etc is something that is important to us - it only lowered our premium by £18 so we'll never get back the actual 'cost' of it but that's irrelevant. We haven't got a Tracker and have no intention of getting one at this point.

19. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

Tis the beauty of the Vanbitz Tracker a one off payment to fit it & no yearly contract plus I have full controll of it & having looked into the smaller print it turns out to be covered by the biggest tracking company of them all & in the event of a theft all i need to do is call the police get a crime number then call the 24hr number with my crime number & they track it.

its also integrated with the alarm & you can have them installed seperatly if you wish but best done in one

20. rosalan

rosalan Funster

A complete list of approved alarm systems...... https://www.thatcham.org/files/pdf/compliance.pdf

It is a bit long winded but you get there in the end....