Motorcycle trailer - long or wide? (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Just thought worth mentioning,with a rack substantial enough the plus side is with an auto scooter you can run it up the rack and into the front wheel hoop with for example my PCX at about 130kgs with the motor on tick over or just above.
/QUOTE]

I don't know if there are others but certainly with the MP3 you have to be sat on it before it can be powered. There is a sensor under the seat.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
It's a Honda 300SH (169Kgs) and my towbar is just not up to a rack.

Sorry,when I had a rack it was made by Towtal in Stoke and the rails of the rack ran into two channels that were welded to the chassis and when in place was simply bolted through the channel and rack so easily detachable.Was confident in using that and felt very secure.
Maybe you will be ok,what ever happens I hope it works for you,good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thank you for the warning / advice.. indeed we have liased with AutoTrail about the weight coming off the Chassis.. 200kgs is the most they suggested if coming out 2 metres.. we are well under that on a 130kg Scooter, and taking into consideration the weight of the unit too.. we are just under 3ft from the back of the MH, so the cantilever effect is much reduced.

The guys who are doing this conversion for us have done many over the years, (maybe not on our type of MH but similar others) and have had no issues whatsoever.. I have asked many Dealers for advice on this and all have come back and said that PWS have the engineering pedigree / know how to put one together for us.. after getting a look at the unit being made for us when we went in for a measure up and the quality of the construction, i'm fairly relaxed that these experts are far better knowledgeable on the subject than me..

Thank you for the post nonetheless..
Here is a load calculator by SVTech, one of the leaders in updating motorhome payload.

Simply select your motorhome type, fill in the details accurately and calculate.
Bare in mind, whatever the answer it is the axle loading BEFORE adding any other weight.

http://lda2.svtech.co.uk/vehicle-select

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
i use a combination of everything mentioned in this thread!
Had a discreet type Towbar made up by PWS (they're local to me, and being an engineer myself, love their workshop, real old school stuff and made to do the job properly)
Tow a PCX on an easylifter, did about 4000 miles with it this summer alone.
The easylifter is a great bit of kit, but not without its limitations. any difference in height on the van/trailer can leave it tricky to load and unload as the ramp won't drop low enough. I had read all about this, so wasn't disappointed in the least. i got a ramp made up as others have done, makes it a lot quicker and easier to load the bike, just run it up the ramp on power, job done.
i tend to go a bit over the top with strapping it down, but the best thing i found was one of these Link Removed at the front, makes single handed loading a whole lot easier. i also modified the over the seat bar so i could ratchet strap that down. no way is that lot going to move!
As proved a few weeks ago when i didn't see a speed bump and looked in the rear camera to see the 2 wheels of the trailer just coming back down to earth....
IMG_1566.jpg

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
i use a combination of everything mentioned in this thread!
Had a discreet type Towbar made up by PWS (they're local to me, and being an engineer myself, love their workshop, real old school stuff and made to do the job properly)
Tow a PCX on an easylifter, did about 4000 miles with it this summer alone.
The easylifter is a great bit of kit, but not without its limitations. any difference in height on the van/trailer can leave it tricky to load and unload as the ramp won't drop low enough. I had read all about this, so wasn't disappointed in the least. i got a ramp made up as others have done, makes it a lot quicker and easier to load the bike, just run it up the ramp on power, job done.
i tend to go a bit over the top with strapping it down, but the best thing i found was one of these Link Removed at the front, makes single handed loading a whole lot easier. i also modified the over the seat bar so i could ratchet strap that down. no way is that lot going to move!
As proved a few weeks ago when i didn't see a speed bump and looked in the rear camera to see the 2 wheels of the trailer just coming back down to earth....
View attachment 126685
Looks good!
How far away is your cycle rack from the scooter?

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
can't remember offhand, but even went as far as calculating the shortening effect of the parallelogram over bumps before i bought it, to make sure it would all fit! i can get 2 road bikes on there without any interference, i just turn the scooter mirror 90 deg just to be on the safe side

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
can't remember offhand, but even went as far as calculating the shortening effect of the parallelogram over bumps before i bought it, to make sure it would all fit! i can get 2 road bikes on there without any interference, i just turn the scooter mirror 90 deg just to be on the safe side
Thanks, ours will be a similar set up I think, haven't measured re existing cycle rack & distance from folding arm

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I specifically asked them at the Show if it was a trailer, the answer was no it is a vehicle extension and as such is part of the VEHICLE WEIGHT, a proper trailer is not and that might make a difference as to how you may look at them. not that plod would look twice but a VOSA man might.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I have never seen one of those before but have to say its not for me.. aside of the security risk, unless you had full camera on at all times id be wondering if its still there.

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
We have very recently purchased a Vespa GTS 300 (circa 160kg) to stick on the back of the van with a nearly new Hydratrail, purchased from Zac off this very forum. My KTM 1290SA is just too heavy and complete overkill for our needs whilst away. The van already has a PWS tow bar fitted, so hopefully that will cope with the ask. Candidly, it was the ease of reversing which we found appealing in contrast to a traditional trailer, but we've yet to actually test it out...
We've had our Vespa 300GTS for just over a year and are very happy with it. It fits (just) in our garage so no trailer issues and I've even started taking it to work instead of a "proper" bike some days. It happily keeps up with UK traffic when 2 up and abroad it's even easier as traffic is usually a lot less.

Allan

Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
I've been following this thread with interest as we too want to embark on the scooter/trailer option. Can you wise ones offer the best tie down scheme for our scooter on an erde motorbike trailer and advise on how much tension you put on those straps, given that, in theory, you are tensioning against the scooters suspension?

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Firstly do not pull down any form of strapping on the handlebars too hard,it will eventually damage the suspension or bend the bars on some machines.I learnt from bitter experience!.Just watch the suspension and as soon as you see it start to move,that's enough.Use good quality ratchet straps,really cheap ones are useless and the webbing frays very quickly.
Pipe insulation is quite useful for putting over said webbing to protect bodywork or old tea towels etc.
Always try and triangulate the ratchet straps to get the best purchase.
I had several Erde trailers and the strapping points are generally good and well positioned.For security I always use a lock and covered chain through the front wheel and the front wheel loop for added security.
Hope this helps.

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
Just as an update to our rack fitment by PWS on the back of our AutoTrail. We are booked in on Friday to have it fitted. I'll post up some pic's of before, during and after so people can get an idea of our rack. At least it will add fuel for the debate. I have also asked for some extra tie down points on the rack for easy safe securing..

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Another thing when using straps don't use the "S" hooks that come with the straps as these can unhook if the bike moves and unloads the strap, change them for carabina type clips
Amazon product ASIN B00KS6RUX6

OP
OP
Chaumo

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Decision made. Managed to find a used Armitage side loading trailer. Hardly used for a good price. Picking up next week. Thanks to all those who contributed. I will be hunting out straps and Carabinas now.

PeteS

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
35yrs
I think I saw this carrier on a camper at caravan tech last week. Do you build them for others as I'd be intrested

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
I think I saw this carrier on a camper at caravan tech last week. Do you build them for others as I'd be intrested

Hi Pete,
This was done by PWS in Poole / Bournemouth today.. it's not a standard one, i had to get it measured for my van.. Their website can give you all the information you may need ?

PeteS

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
35yrs
Hi Pete,
This was done by PWS in Poole / Bournemouth today.. it's not a standard one, i had to get it measured for my van.. Their website can give you all the information you may need ?
Must have been another done by them. I'll look them up ta

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back