Motorcycle trailer - long or wide?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Chaumo, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Chaumo

Chaumo Funster

After all my prevaricating I am hoping to buy a Honda SH300 privately in the next couple of days. So, do I tow it on a conventional trailer or a short widthways one? My main concern is not which is easier to reverse as I know I will be rubbish at that anyway. It is which one will be easier to load or is there no difference? Anyone any experience of both? Thanks

2. PhilG

PhilG Funster

Depends on your trailer size , but straight down the middle is always best.. triiangulation of the straps is key. Bike in centre forwards , strap around bars to front corners . Pulled to front of trailer. Thats it.

If you post a picture of the bike with a strap over the seat , i will find you and beat you to death with it..

• Funny Funny x 5
  3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

"Conventional".. Easier to disconnect and park up..

And useful for carrying other bit`s and bob`s...

ie.... Doors/Boxes and the like from B&Q.. etc (y)

• Useful Useful x 2
  4. Merle

Merle Funster

Hi I found the crossway type more difficult to load (though my scooter was 200kg) but more worrying was the fact that tie points are very limited. Yes the manufacturers put a bar fixing over the saddle but you need to hold the bike in place whilst fitting or removing it, plus I like belt and bracers so good strong rachet straps are a must with somewhere effective to attach them to. In its favour the crossways is smaller to park.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Chaumo

Chaumo Funster

Oh yes. Hadn't thought of that. Using it for other purposes did not cross my mind.

6. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

Easylifter Hydratrail for ease of reversing?

7. Chaumo

Chaumo Funster

Had a look at this but too pricey, would not suit the small area at home where I have to 3 point turn. Also mixed reviews.

8. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

I use both, a covered conventional trailer for the Wing and Hydratrail for the scooter. Whichever way you go make sure that you use multiple tie down points. Yes, handlebar straps are probably the first to get fastened but others are advisable. And before anybody tells you that any more aren't necessary let me tell you that I have had straps break and without extra straps the result could have been catastrophic.
    The lengthways trailer is great for loading, carrying other stuff like awnings etc but the length can be bind in tight roads and when you need to park up. It is a doddle to load.
    The Hydratrail is great for reversing as it is rigid to the towbar and is great for driving in towns and small villages but is not as convenient for loading plus it's not covered so doesn't keep the scooter clean or as secure.
    There will be others who have used Hydratrail and found that for their application it was not suitable, usually because as it does not articulate it damaged the towbar. So far using the Hydratrail with an MP3 scooter I have had no problems, probably because I designed and specced up the towbar to make sure it didn't fail.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Kin 'ell. My GSXR1000 weighs less :rofl:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. amkirman

amkirman Funster

I was thinking of an Hydratrail myself with an MP3 but I have heard that it can twist the tow bar or chassi.

As anyone experienced this?

11. Steve and Kat

Steve and Kat Funster

East Sussex, Nr Bateman's & West Sussex, Horsham
    How heavy is the bike ? It's just that we have spoken with PWS in Bournemouth and they are making us a platform that attaches to our Alko Chassis and protrudes out about a metre and we can carry our scooter on sideways. We didn't want a trailer, so thought this was the best scenario.. PWS make trailers both side and front loading.. there is a weight issue though, hence the initial question.. might be worth looking them up..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Topokita the CG125, lives in the Garage, only weighs 112kg, two turnbuckles to the carrier and it is there . full stop needs a ramp to get out.

13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

During the brief time I had one it did indeed twist the 3" box section tow bar.. I put my 1200gs on it.. Both Richard ( The Scotties ) and myself went to the chap who made us one each specifically for the weight of the BMW's.
    I had real issues getting the bike loaded on it and really did not like the way the bike was held in place on the trailer.
    I returned mine as did Richard.
    BUT
    The units are very well made indeed, the customer service excellent, and for smaller bikes I would say they are very good indeed..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

You need to consider the weight implications of such a system.
    It isn't simply the weight of the scooter and platform, it's also the leverage effect behind the axle....the further back the load, the greater the weight on the rear axle eating into your rear axle payload.
    The rear weight could be 50% more than the scooter and rack combined.
    As an example.....hold a heavy weight (house brick etc) in one hand close to your chest.....now hold it at arms length...that's the leverage effect.

15. wigster

wigster Funster

Bloody hell this has just reminded me ive got a 125 in the garage , @Jaws sold it to me .Mental note to self get the bike out now and again .

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

To the OP! having had many types of racks and trailers over the years,not knowing your age or physical strength,my own experience is as you get older loading becomes more difficult :eek:!
    I have recently bought a three bike Woodford trailer with which I can ride any of my bikes on as it is low enough and has a full width platform so this can be done with feet down.Most single bike trailers are of tubular frame construction which means you have a big hole and a drop where you want to be when putting the bike on.
    Not describing this very well but sure you get the picture.
    I have lost some strength in my right arm due to an accident and this trailer gives far more confidence in loading and unloading.
    I preferred a rear rack but was always very aware of the weight and rear end swing.
    Search and buy carefully and you will be confident in use which is a big bonus if using regularly.
    Good luck with your search.

• Useful Useful x 2
  17. Steve and Kat

Steve and Kat Funster

Thank you for the warning / advice.. indeed we have liased with AutoTrail about the weight coming off the Chassis.. 200kgs is the most they suggested if coming out 2 metres.. we are well under that on a 130kg Scooter, and taking into consideration the weight of the unit too.. we are just under 3ft from the back of the MH, so the cantilever effect is much reduced.

The guys who are doing this conversion for us have done many over the years, (maybe not on our type of MH but similar others) and have had no issues whatsoever.. I have asked many Dealers for advice on this and all have come back and said that PWS have the engineering pedigree / know how to put one together for us.. after getting a look at the unit being made for us when we went in for a measure up and the quality of the construction, i'm fairly relaxed that these experts are far better knowledgeable on the subject than me..

Thank you for the post nonetheless..

18. maison

maison Funster

@Steve and Kat
    Where are PWS?

We are also looking at this issue but an Internet search for PWS has not brought up any engineering type companies. We would like to talk to them.

Thanks.

19. Steve and Kat

Steve and Kat Funster

P W S Engineering Ltd, Poole, BH12 4PE. Richard is the MD, Steve is the full on day to day Engineer.. Telephone Number 01202 746851..

Definitely on the internet...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Chaumo

Chaumo Funster

Our preference was for a rack but even though the van is 4250, taking the advice of other Funsters and SV Tech we have erred on the side of caution and decided a trailer will be best for our situation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1