Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The thread discussing Axle Loadings is interesting. The biggest problem with mounting a motorcycle/scooter on a rear-mounted rack arises out of the distance of the mounting from the axle, due to the long overhangs of motor homes. Not only does it impose greater effective loading on the rear axle, but also creates greater side forces - or yawing.

Is there any legal reason why a rack should not be positioned on the front of a motorhome?

I knew a chap, once, who had converted a Mercedes Unimog into a motorhome for travelling across Africa. He had mounted a motorcycle on what was, in effect, a hydraulic fork-lift, on the front of the vehicle. Very effective and helped to deal with axle loadings. Given the very short overhang on the front, this would seem to be a possible solution.:Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Seen it many times in France, once or twice over here for some reason always on older Mercedes hippy type self builds
Maybe its not done purely for aesthetic reasons on modern vehicles, maybe because spare front axle capacity is not large enough
I don't know of any legal reasons ,there maybe something under construction and use regs, give Vosa a call
Geo
see here

1. Loads overhanging the front or rear of the vehicle.​
The table below is a summary of the requirements applicable to front and rear overhanging loads set out in
regulation 82(7) of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (C&U), as amended.​
Length of Projection
Action if load projects forwards​
Not exceeding 1 metre​
•​
No requirements specified.

Action if load projects rearwards

•​
No requirements specified.

More than 1 metre, but
not exceeding 2 metres

•​
End must be made clearly visible. (C&U Schedule 12, para
4)

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Given the very short overhang on the front, this would seem to be a possible solution.:Smile:

I've thought about it but spotted some problems for the average FWD MH....

No easy way mount a frame - it's all lightweight round the front.
Dirt.
Drag.
Visibility.

I can see why a big old Merc would be easy to fit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
.I don't know of any legal reasons ,there maybe something under construction and use regs, give Vosa a call
Geo

..............is there nothing re sharp forward projections?

ie removal of the wonderfull Jaguar bonnet mascot?

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Must be considered a danger to pedestrians I would have thought. :Doh:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Some insurance companies won`t offer insurance if you have bull bars on the front.
Can`t see a honda motorcycle hanging off the front end being very popular with the same insurance companies.

Though perfect for me we have a 500kg allowance on the front axle going spare. :Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there doesnt seem to be no reason not todo it .i know quite a few long term travellers that do it. mainly on trucks n buses. one friend as front and back on a leyland bus. cheers alan.

OP
OP
Wintonian

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks for the useful comments. From the Construction and Use regs it would appear to be perfectly legal.

As for pedestrians walking into it, I think that pedestrians owe it to themselves to be as careful as road users to look where they are going and not to crash into things!:RollEyes: The issue of bull bars was dreamed up by the so called "tree-huggers" who never could understand off-road vehicles. (Yet were quite happy with allowing horses to destroy footpaths to a far greater extent than vehicles.) The same people probably hate Motor Homes, too!

The structural problems of mounting at the front are not unsolvable, and a bit of clever engineering could sort them out. If the front is strong enough to take the weight and stresses of a diesel engine and transmission it cannot be that flimsy. Lying on my back and surveying the front underside impressed me very much. Not the same flimsy componentry that is typical of mass-produced cars. Very commercial. Mind you mine is a 1992 Hymer/Ducato, but I doubt if they have reduced the strength in modern ones.

My reasoning for thinking of this is that we are more likely to have spare front axle weight capacity, particularly on A class vehicles. C class owners (and I was one) often store a lot of stuff on the over-cab bed! There is far less space on a stowed A class bed.

A nicely moulded light-weight fairing, designed to cover the bike at the front would solve a lot of the other little niggles.:Smile:

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
afaik theres nothing stopping you fitting a bike rack or snow plough to the front if you want to . as long as your forward vision isnt impared and all your lights , indicators and number plate are visible then theres no problems . well maybe 1 possible problem, engine cooling.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back