Motorcycle carrier?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by acting_strange, Nov 27, 2011.

1. acting_strange

acting_strange

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Never seen one but he has lots of good comments from users

Peter

3. Newleaf

Newleaf Read Only Funster

Motorcycle Trailer

Was interested in having a look, as like you I don't particularly want to get a trailer for my BMW at 256kilos, but would like to tow it somehow,but unfortunately the url you quote has moved.
    Could you give more details please?
    Thanks

4. acting_strange

acting_strange

5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi. have had a similar version for years . i copied an intertrade version that thev rac used to use . i used mine for towing trikes.
    remember you should only use it for recovery as it becomes a trailer and as it as brakes they are suposed to be working. that said the chain and rear tyre will still get worn.
    its better to have an upright teepost up front to tie the handlebars down to. mine fitted on the hitch but had a plate behind the hitch had a fitting to stop the spec going up or down and left and right. very easy to make 20 quid should see it if you can weld or have a good mate. took mine all over the place still have it . takes two to set it all up . some say one person is ok but with a heavy bike i need two. pm if you need more info. cheers alan.

6. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

He needs to learn to spell legal before threatening with it, also, he states that the conformity is not transferrable???.....rubbish, its the item that conforms, not the owner. There is a hell of a lot of blurb stating that what it confoms to,...but no proof, nor any independant testing certs. Applying for a patent, is no surety of getting one, it would need to be independantly tested to be used professionally by a pro recovery company, i see no evidence of this, so I personally would go for a trailer that is type approved.

7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi you could google intertrade recovery equipment . they have lots of diferent tow devices .
    the ones you mentio can only be for recovery .even trailer under 750kg if haveeing brakes must eork. sounds like he loves gobbldegook. .
    intertrade hav been making recovery and towing gear for years and supply the major recovery boys .

8. Newleaf

Newleaf Read Only Funster

Motorcycle Trailer

The towing kit that you refer to would do the job, but for me its got to be a one man operation. If there was some kind of lever mechanism that would raise and lower the front end I would give it a go, but will have to look elsewhere.
    At the moment series 2 at http://www.trealestrailers.co.uk/motorcycle_trailers.php is winning.
    Frustrating all this searching, would be great if there were a load of trailers at the various motorcycle shows, but they don't appear to go to them.

9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Re the OP .................

Think the bloke must come from Russia or somewhere.. Certainly English is not his first language

It gets better !

The design is an ABSOLUTE copy of a bit of kit that has been made in he US of A for about 20 years...

And...

I would use one to tow something like a Hardley Moving cos you are talking about a bike that does not go round corners too well to start with..
    Personally I use tyres on my bike that I might get say, 5k miles out of.. They will start to square off at about 4k

Now if I am towing the bike with the back wheel on the ground I would say that, even given a 50% reduction in tyre wear for an undriven wheel, I would expect to ruin the tyre after a couple of thousand towed miles
    So to sum up then.........................
    Crappy idea, crappy salesman, direct copy of someone elses work

As you can guess, I aint a fan !

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

welcome newleaf.....try this link

HERE

11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

And I have just reread this advert................

Right at the very bottom where 90% of folk would never see it or perhaps notice it, is the following statement:

THIS DEVISE IS CLASSIFIED AS A RECOVERY DEVICE

All well and good..

I stand to be corrected but suspect Geo will be along to confirm, not anyone can call themselves a recovery company
    You need special insurance and I believe show a flashing orange light on the tow vehicle to conform to the legal requirements in just about every EU country including the UK

12. vwalan

vwalan Funster

nice one jaws i missed that . got fed upreading. i have similar plus the cliponoff type across the back spec, but again takes two to lift anything but a light trials type bike. google intertrade they do a collapsable trailer . their gear is right on

13. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Just to help (or hinder) the OP a bit. On recovery, whenever sent out to a bike, i would always mutter "Oh Sh*t". They are by far the hardest thing to transporrt, and ive done everything else. Apart from that, there is no such thing really, as someone who rides a bike, they are all enthusiast's so watch you like a hawk when loading and unloading.
    Whether on a flatbed (a skill on its own) or in a cradle or on a bike trailer, they were always a nightmare, and a large proportion of the claims against recovery companies were bike related.
    i,m sure you will get helpfull advice off the bikers on here,...probably bets treat ebay with a lot of suspicion.

14. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Please tell me this thread isnt going to degenerate into yet another "750kgs" / "brakes fitted" / "are A frames legal?" / "define recovery" jobbie?

Could be of great interset if it stays with looking at bits of kit available (for my trike).

YES, John: I do need stabilisers!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Phantom Menace

Phantom Menace Read Only Funster

They are ok but you need to check that the gearbox still gets lubricated without the engine running!

16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

See, now for a lot of trikes that thing is a good option

17. vwalan

vwalan Funster

having got all these recovery things at home . i think if i was going to tow my kawasaki drifter behind a m,home for any distance i would go for the m,bike trailer. be safe and look after your bike.
    i look at what i have here and think shall i sell some of it ,but use most of it at least once or twice each year.
    brought a lifan 250 down from northampton earlier this year . could have took the single spec or the bike trailer . but used the cliponoff double spec . took two of us to lift it on . got my neighbour here to help lift it off . not every thing is easy. but having the trailer on would have slowed the speed . if you travel alone and cant get the bike into a garage a trailer might be the answer . putting it across the back does take a fair bit of weight off your payload . the question is a bit like elastic for answers . cheers alan.

18. Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil Read Only Funster

I read an article about the front tyre lifting towing devices.

The came to the conclusion that they were good for short distances only for the following reasons.

1. You cannot reverse, it will jack knife in an instant.

2. Engine lubrication was doubtful ( As previous post also suggests )

3. It wears a lovely tread free band down the centre of the rear tyre in no time .

Imagine you tow down to Greece or the bottom of spain. Thats a lot of constant wear on the centre band of the tyre.

Food for thought

Neil

19. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

AND the wheel bearing AND the gearbox output shaft bearing

As it says atr the bottom of chummies advert , it is a recovery device....

20. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Seems to be John, as long as it's not deemed a "recovery" device.

Just seen your post, John.
    Scrap mine.