motorcycle carrier

Discussion in 'Motorcycles and Motorhomes' started by pigginchilli, Sep 17, 2015.

1. pigginchilli

pigginchilli Read Only Funster

DSCF7605.JPG Hi, picking up our first motorhome this weekend will post a pic of bike rack and hopefully someone will tell me what size bike would be suitable? This is a pic of it. sorry for my ignorance iam bad with computers.

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

well the truth is, thats a complicated question. its not necessarily what the rack can carry, more how much can the back axle take weight wise to stay legal. in reality this often means a 50cc scooter + the rack is even pushing the weight to the limit

3. pigginchilli

that's exactly what I thought, I could do with contacting the previous owner to see what he. her carried on the back, I have a Honda cg125 which we wanted to take with us, hence buying home with carrier fitted, thanks for your reply.

4. barsteward

barsteward Funster

I'll hazard a guess at quite a small one. I'm fairly new to this as well. The one thing I have learned though is nothing is straight forward. As basic as it comes (at least with my small brain) .....You have a maximum weight..... You have to take your clothes, a percentage of water, fuel, passengers, what is left (in max gross weight terms) is (if you have any weight left at all) what you can load on the vehicle??? Simples, no because then you have to take into account maximum axle weight.

So I suppose what I think I'm saying is, everyone and every van is an individual and there is no "one size fits all" but I suppose you have to decide which is the most important item you want to carry. :imoutahere:

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheBig1

when you have the van, its easy to check. on the plate you will have maximum weight of van. maximum including a trailer and maximum for front and rear axles. then just drive onto a public weighbridge to see where you stand. the complication comes with the fact that the load on the rear axle will actually be more than the weight of the bike due to the fulcrum effect.

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You need to get some work done. First find a weighbridge and get total and back axle weights. Then find your weight ticket near the driver's door. Then measure wheelbase and distance from rear axle to bike rack.

Post these and we can help you.

7. pigginchilli

We have a weighbridge on the farm so that's np, sounds like iam gonna have some fun, farmers tend not too worry too much about being overweight. will google the word fulcrum.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  8. pigginchilli

Was planning to go to the iom tt next year with my gsxr1000 on the back. I think that wont be happening. :mad::mad:

9. barsteward

barsteward Funster

from most of what I've seen over the last 9 months neither do motorhomers:LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  10. pigginchilli

jobs a good un then.(y)

11. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

Not unless you like banana shaped chassis. (n)

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheBig1

13. barsteward

barsteward Funster

I have a Blackbird and have been searching every avenue to be able to take her with me.

Option 1..... Fit a hiab so as to be able to lift the Bird on the roof and thus evenly distribute the weight.
    Option 2...... Get a trailer. Option one means Mrs Barsteward will have to stop at home.:whistle:

14. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

Had a rack and assured it was OK for my Honda 125, but with "tail wagging the dog" I knew it could not be right, especially with the "nose up" attitude of the van - so sideways loading trailer it was and I don't regret it for one minute. PS anyone fancy a motorbike rack seeing I've done such a good sell of it?

15. vwalan

vwalan Funster

just get a chinese dax style m,bike . folk laugh at you as you ride along . but you are laughing all the time you are riding it. had mine 15 years . from new even wore a set of tyres out on it . i also ride a 1500cc drifter but the easy rider dax always brings a smile . i did buy them both at the same time . even the reg numbers are consecutive. i think the drifter will go soon but not the easy rider.

16. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

I have just taken my scooter rack off after 4 years ( will be selling soon ) and carried a Honda PCX125 ( 120kg ) without problem. Not sure about OP and as many have stated I would get your back axle take weight checked for total weight. Anyone interested in buying let me know.

17. CherryPirate

CherryPirate Funster

I have a Hope Rack n Roll available if anyone is interested. This rack pivots and has a built in ramp making the loading of the Bike / Scooter very much easier. PM if you would like more detail.

Colin

18. LPB

LPB Funster

Colin,
    Just sent a message re rack,
    Lloyd.

19. FJmike

FJmike Funster

When we first started motorhoming I wanted to take my Yamaha DT125 (100Kg) on the back and I have to say I have never been so frightened in my life. The steering was non existent as well as the brakes. Something I was told is that for every 12inches past the back axle you double the weight of the load :sick::sick::sick:

20. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Well in 4 years and 25,000km later can say never had a problem, however my rack was fitted to chassis and not tow bar mounted as some are. Been checked and weight done by police whilst in UK in 2014 without problem. Moving away from scooter now and getting eBikes.