Motorbike trailer - decision time (1 Viewer)

May 26, 2012
Bangor, Northern Ireland, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic CLine
Exp
Since 2010
Transverse trailers

I know I'm a bit late on this post, but I thought I would share my experiences. I have had an Armitage transverse trailer for three years with no real problems. I carry a Honda 125 scooter which weighs about 140kg. There is a skill to tying the scooter down and I found the best way is to ensure the rear wheel is not moving too much on the suspension, and using a bumpstop at the front. Loading and unloading is easy and can be done single handed, but I think about 180kg is the maximum bike weight. Its also difficult to load a manual bike as the platform is quite high. Reversing is difficult, but with a reversing camera is a skill that can be picked up quickly. The great advantages are;

Motorhome (Burstner Solano) and trailer fit on most Aire spaces

In difficult reversing situations the trailer is easily detached and very easy to push.

Keeps the weight off the MH axle well

Tyres do me about 6000 miles, but are cheap.

I reckon that platforms on the back of the motorhome will always overload the rear axle unless you have a negligible overhang. There are really no bikes of over 50cc that will work, and in reality small 50cc bikes are dangerous in heavy traffic and should be avoided.

If you have a bigger motorbike go for a longitudinal trailer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back