LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I may be talking to the big boys now ha ha but I passed my scooter test in 2000 and then I understood that I couldn't ride anything bigger than a 125cc but after reading this thread it might be different, I am not sure until you lot enlighten me...please.
I have the A1 category with a picture of a bike next to it on my licence,with a from and to date next to it, does that mean I can ride a bigger normal bike than a 125cc scooter?
Just curious as I haven't had a bike for 7 years now and wondered if the DVLA has cocked this one up in MY favour?
Trish

Sorry :Sad:
This from the gov site
A1 Light motorcycles with an engine size of up to 125 cc and a power output of up to 11 kW (14.6 bhp)

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We still occasionally watch a helmet cam vid which that former owner took in France, Jaws. Before and after having a broken and jagged screen where he'd come a purler on ice in the Alps !

My Pete used to tell him there must be summat else wrong with the bike too - cos it made this sort of scraping noise every time he went round a tight bend. :ROFLMAO:

Jenny

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We still occasionally watch a helmet cam vid which that former owner took in France, Jaws. Before and after having a broken and jagged screen where he'd come a purler on ice in the Alps !

My Pete used to tell him there must be summat else wrong with the bike too - cos it made this sort of scraping noise every time he went round a tight bend. :ROFLMAO:

Jenny

LOL !!!! I have been trying to convince woman it is just tall stones that we catch on !! ( I do not think she believes me though !!! :ROFLMAO: )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It's curious you couldn't persuade Mo. You're normally soooooooooo convincing about all things Bike. :Doh:

Just remind me, how long have you two been together now? :ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hard luck trish n tez you are only up to 125 etc
i cant go as fast as the rest as my open face helmet and specs distort my vision so much.
i went on a 900cc kwaka years ago in the 70,s at speeds of 150mph . too fast for me leave that sort of speed to you lot. i admit a car pulls out in the distance, christ it comes up quick.i love bikes but not at that speed.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It's curious you couldn't persuade Mo. You're normally soooooooooo convincing about all things Bike. :Doh:

Just remind me, how long have you two been together now? :ROFLMAO:

Errrrr..... 41 years ! ( and it only seems like 61 too :ROFLMAO: )

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Done Aberdeen and back ( from here in Thetford ) in a day on a CX500 once..
Lake Garda in a day.. plus a fair few other odds and sods in the way of runs.
On long runs riding fast is a major no no I reckon.. I just sort of dial in mid 80's and keep on going.. Iron butt helps though !

On long runs its an Airhawk for me everytime, would never have made Beijing without one.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
all I can say is bloody hell they dont half go these days :Eeek:

If you go and buy the fastest road bike every made ( when it came out ) it should not be that much of a surprise.

I'll bet you've not told 'er indoors how much they cost to run. If you are using it something like 25mpg and 2000 miles on £200 tyre isn't it. And your licence, probably better not to mention your licence coz it might not last as long as a back tyre. The good news is porridge is very good for you.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Jan and I were planning London to Cape Town for this summer but we've just bought a building plot and I've promised to build her a new house so that trips on hold. Still planning to drive the m/home to the artic circle.

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
If you go and buy the fastest road bike every made ( when it came out ) it should not be that much of a surprise.

I'll bet you've not told 'er indoors how much they cost to run. If you are using it something like 25mpg and 2000 miles on £200 tyre isn't it. And your licence, probably better not to mention your licence coz it might not last as long as a back tyre. The good news is porridge is very good for you.

Yes I had an idea but the last bike I rode was a Moto Guzzi Calafornia a few years ago so in reality the sheer power which is so useable can be a bit intimidating , I mean it's so fuss free and effortless and as you say the licence could be snatched away in an instant :cry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hard luck trish n tez you are only up to 125 etc
i cant go as fast as the rest as my open face helmet and specs distort my vision so much.
i went on a 900cc kwaka years ago in the 70,s at speeds of 150mph . too fast for me leave that sort of speed to you lot. i admit a car pulls out in the distance, christ it comes up quick.i love bikes but not at that speed.
Agreed Alan......120mph on the back of a GP(Z?) 1100 kwak on A roads scared the shite out of me :Blush:

but then, I'm a nervous pillion :RollEyes:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Jan and I were planning London to Cape Town for this summer but we've just bought a building plot and I've promised to build her a new house so that trips on hold. Still planning to drive the m/home to the artic circle.

Long Way (half) Round, then Long Way Down, that rings a bell. There's some pretty unpleasant people that way aren't there.

But Arctic circle, preferably with Northern Lights, cool. Google Maps says about 2000 miles from Calais and you can do it in 1 day 14 hours. You must have impressed them.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
a Moto Guzzi Calafornia a few years ago

To a Busa. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I can imagine you heart rate first time you opened it up, a bit.

I hired an XT250 on holiday and came back bought this FZ750. It was like "warp factor 10 Mr Sulu" and that's a slow old thing compared to a Busa. At least I got 5000 out of the back tyre.

Now I've found a different joy, much lighter bike and keep answering the question "now where does that lane go ?".

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Long Way (half) Round, then Long Way Down, that rings a bell. There's some pretty unpleasant people that way aren't there.

But Arctic circle, preferably with Northern Lights, cool. Google Maps says about 2000 miles from Calais and you can do it in 1 day 14 hours. You must have impressed them.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: thats 52.63mph for a full 38hrs without stopping....or you could go a bit faster maybe......105.26mph for a full 19hrs.....yeah, right !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
First time I've noticed Maps screw up.
Try again Brian......google doesnt seem to like the arctic :Doh:

Calais to Rana (Norway) = 1584mls in 1 day 5 hours.:Eeek:

that's 54.62mph for a full 29hours none stop.

even with a total 9hr rest and fuelling stops you would need to AVERAGE 79.2mph

Crwydryn

Free Member
Jan 5, 2012
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Compass 300
Exp
Try again Brian......google doesnt seem to like the arctic :Doh:

Calais to Rana (Norway) = 1584mls in 1 day 5 hours.:Eeek:

that's 54.62mph for a full 29hours none stop.

even with a total 9hr rest and fuelling stops you would need to AVERAGE 79.2mph

The route i took was Machynlleth-Harwich-Hoek-Hamburg-Puttgarden-Jordby-Malmo-Jonkoping-Lycksele-Mo i Rana.and took me 5 days.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The route i took was Machynlleth-Harwich-Hoek-Hamburg-Puttgarden-Jordby-Malmo-Jonkoping-Lycksele-Mo i Rana.and took me 5 days.
now that is more like it :thumb: a realistic time :thumb:

scarborough to Benicasim, Spain.

straight through the middle of France then follow the med coast......1300mls in 4 days.
driving far enough each day to make a difference but not so far to be tired. :thumb:

Crwydryn

Free Member
Jan 5, 2012
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Compass 300
Exp
now that is more like it :thumb: a realistic time :thumb:

scarborough to Benicasim, Spain.

straight through the middle of France then follow the med coast......1300mls in 4 days.
driving far enough each day to make a difference but not so far to be tired. :thumb:
That's good going in 4 days:thumb:
It was my first tour abroad and on the bike,riding for long hours,sometimes riding 10 hours a day to get to my stops,wasn't getting much sightseeing done only petrol stop stations.:Sad:
Not really the best way to tour but enjoyed it immensely.
That's why i got the camper so i can travel more leisurely and ride the roads that i want to ride and have days off when its raining.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It was my first tour abroad and on the bike,riding for long hours,sometimes riding 10 hours a day to get to my stops

With age come wisdom, I think, I can have as much fun pottering along at 30 enjoying the scenery as galloping miles. Mind you, we did enjoy all those miles, apart from a few.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in the uk i usually use the drifter . 1500cc its a bit of a brute heavy long etc .yet i can just as well jump on the 90cc dax and get similar amounts of pleasure . like a friend once said . people laugh at us on monkey /dax m,bikes . but we have the last laugh ,we are laughing from the minute we get on.and are still laughing for a long time after we get off.
have rode a 180cc monkey bike that managed 100mph ,that was really scary . its owned by a german in his 70,s . hard to believe i know . the mans a nutcase i,m sure . but a good friend.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats the way .there is definately something about a m,bike that makes just about any day a good day.a quick ride to the end of the road is all it takes sometimes to make me feel good. long may it be so good. in fact just thinking about going for a ride brings a smile.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back