Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
How do you work out the maximum weight that you can hang from the rear of your motorhome.
I want to carry a 125 trails bike on the rear, going to make up my own carrier etc.
my 2007 lunar champ has no details in the photocopy!! manual
:whatthe:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi mulaz,
there is a fomular for working it out but i aint got a clue what it is.

i think first job will be to work out the max payload on the REAR axle.

this is where you need the formular as you need top work out the moment arm for a given weight (bike AND carrier)BEHIND the axle.

the bike may weigh 100kg but 4 or 5ft behind the axle and it could be the equivelent of 150kg on the axle.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi the first thing to do is see what you have to play with, so take it to the weighbridge. Don't want to put a damper on the idea but from what people have posted on here, if its 3500kg GVW then very few motorhomes would be able to carry a bike and stay legal.

As its almost unheard off to be weighed by VOSA its up to you whether you then do it or not. :Smile: Drove passed the VOSA weighbridge on the A52 near notts on Tuesday morning, firsttime I have seen it being used, just waved me on, only interested in lorries. Pity I could have had a free weigh. ::bigsmile:

Olley

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Motorbike Carrier

Bob
Re bike carrier it is difficult to get the Van balanced on each axle to stay legal.
I carry a peugot speedfight scooter on the rear of a Compass drifter, but I removed the cab bed and made that area into a storage locker so moving the weight forward onto the front wheels. It took several visits to the weigh bridge to ascertain the correct balance between front and rear axles. If your load is say 100kgs and the distance to the centre of the rear axle is 2 metres, the load on the axle is increased by another 200kgs.
Basically if you have a low profile or an A class Van I believe a bike on the back is not on due to there being no chance of moving the internal load forward due to lack of available storage in the front of the vehicle.
OK, we now don't have a bed in the Luton but that storage area is very valuable for the two of us. Another point is that as a bed its useless, last time we made love in the Luton my wife burnt her backside on the lights.
Over the years we make a point of removing items we haven't use during our 3 months away in so doing we find ourselves with a number of empty lockers, this sometimes is a worry when we think we have left something vital. I say to my wife if we have we buy it.
Cheers Ron W

meggie

Free Member
Jan 12, 2009
milford haven
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8y
How do you work out the maximum weight thawt you can hang from the rear of your motorhome.
I want to carry a 125 trails bike on the rear, going to make up my own carrier etc.
my 2007 lunar champ has no details in the photocopy!! manual
:whatthe:
hi i have lunar roadstar and carry a 250 scooter on the scooter rack which is on the tow bar

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Link to calculation post

Hi Mulaz

I spent ages on this one. Here is a link to a recent post I did for someone who was asking the same thing, it includes a link to the formula you need.

If you can do it, go for it. We love our scooter!!

Link Removed

3rd post down, page2

Cheers
Barry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back