Motor legal expenses cover-worth it or?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Terry, May 24, 2013.

1. Terry

Terry Funster

worthless ? :Smile:Simple question my ins is due for renewing and added into the quote is M.L.E cover @ just shy of £40 - Now when I asked about my recent court case they told me no cover for court etc but they do recover any thing from anyone whos fault it is after a accident etc, IN OTHER WORDS AMBULANCE chasers -witch to be honest any no win no fee lawyers will do for nothing or a cut :Smile: Now I have just read through all the bumph and guess what it all full of exclusions that to my mind renderit useless so why would I pay for it ? In fact why do any of us pay legal cover when the only time they will help is ifthey are sure they can win ? If they think they cannot win they will not give legal cover although I am paying 40 quid for it :Eeek::Angry:
    A bit like protected no claims -sure they still give you 60% no claims discount but they load the premium because you have had a accident so you end up no better off -
    Are any worth paying for ? your oppinions please ?
    terry

2. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

I always pay for protected no-claims bonus but have never taken out legal expenses cover.

I've never been in a situation where I've needed it and I reckon that I have saved £1000s over the years.

Maybe I'm just lucky :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Terry

Terry Funster

I never pay for either but they usually throw it in for free MLE that is not protected NCB :BigGrin: On the renewal it's there for 40 squid s :Eeek: so no doubt I will be asking for it taken off IF I renew :BigGrin: that is if I cannot find a cheaper quote :Smile:
    Terry

4. ludo

ludo Funster Life Member

Join the CSMA, (Civil Servants Motoring Association), cost £18 per year! :thumb:

Great magazine every month, discounts on many, many things including about 50% on Britannia breakdown service, currency exchange at superb rates, and free legal cover with Liverpool Victoria for all vehicles owned by you and your spouse.
    :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Terry

Terry Funster

I am not a CS :Wink: but what good is free cover if all it covers is ambulance chasing?
    Terry

Last edited: May 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

7. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I always reject the legal cover.

If you ever did need to call on it, and assuming it was for something which was not already excluded in their T&C's (which they never want to tell you about), I hardly imagine that you are going to get the best legal advice and representation available.

it's another money making add on for the Insurance Companies.....

:Smile:

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

worth it if you have to fight an uninsured driver claim in court.

That could cost you thousands in solicitor/barristers fees if the other driver hasn't got a pot to pi$$ in.

I never bothered before but it makes sense....for an extra £30 for me

• Like Like x 1
  9. callumwa

Our vehicle policies now already include full cover against uninsured drivers....

It's not an add on, and I guess it's paid for in the premium already...

:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  10. ludo

ludo Funster Life Member

It does not cover ambulance chasing and you do not need to be a CS to join. Anyone can join and it's a very useful organisation to be involved with, as is Motorhome fun and you don't need to be a motorhome owner to join that either.

If you are hit by an uninsured driver, the chances are that you will be glad to have it!

I have personal experience of this and having suffered a physical attack on a brand new car while my wife and I were in it, I would not be without legal cover. The damage amounted to over £2,000 and, although I had protected bonus, the renewal premium was loaded. The legal cover that I had reversed this and the culprit was charged.

The problem is that no claims bonus is not a no blame bonus and if and when you have to make a claim this will become all to evident, I can assure you!

11. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

one thing to bear in mind..

We have it on the Van but not on the car. You do not need it on every vechile. It's you that becomes insured on it.

And yes I have used it, and it done me well when I was knocked off my bike by a Blind magistrate who never saw me coming at xxx mph (removed for protection). I mean, blind or what!! :RollEyes:

She claimed it was my fault for going to fast, she ended up being charged with DWDCA, I got my body rebuilt and my bike replaced. :thumb:

12. callumwa

I would have opted to have my bike rebuilt and my body replaced..........:RollEyes::RollEyes:

:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

They said my body was such a marvel of genetic engineering that they would be better to repair it.

My bike on the other hand was a Suzuki TL1000s so they replaced it:Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Terry

Terry Funster

Yes but as with all the replys they will only represent you IF there is a chance they can recover the costs --read small print :Wink: If joe blogs has not got the pot to Pee in they will simply say no :Eeek::BigGrin:
    terry

15. busby

busby Funster

Worth every penny when you need it. Recovered my excess plus other expenses from The German who wrote my Autocruise off in 2009. BUSBY:BigGrin:

16. talaris

talaris Read Only Funster

As above worth every envy when you need it. Don't let all your insurers, cr house etc, sell you one as you a single policy will cover for all claims or it should at least. Check the wording. You can buy it without it being sold at the same time too so shop around.

17. callumwa

Now i understand...........:Wink::Wink:

:BigGrin:

18. Terry

Terry Funster

Yet again all examples of where costs can be claimed back so a Ambulance chasing firm would take them on FOC without having the insurance :Smile:
    Do they do a stand alone policy that would cover all vehicles and house type legal expenses? Sort of one covers all
    Terry

19. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

For what it's worth , I always go for it even if I don't strictly need it.

I wouldn't just have cover for a RTA though - no need.

You never know when you might need general cover though.

Losing a big case could ruin your retirement plans::Sad:

20. buttons

buttons Funster

A few years ago my daughter had a difficult claim for which her legal expenses cover first wanted her to except all blame then after much work from myself and her they insisted on knock for knock. Not happy with this and after lots more work on our part and 2 years later she got 100% reimbursement and no loss of NCB. No thanks to the legal team. Do it yourself, there is a lot less stress.:cry: