Free Member
Mar 22, 2015
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
My 2007 Autotrail Miami insured with Comfort annual mileage 4000 owner only driver fully comp. costs £217.30 with max no claims discount, yet my 2011 Smart 4 tw0 same mileage same no claims and only owner driving and yet costs £217. Comfort say this is ok but I don't think this is right to have such a price difference, what do you think?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume you are unhappy that your MH insurance is the same as your Smart car? I'm not quite sure in which way you are unhappy though so take it that you think your older MH should be cheaper? If that's the case unfortunately it doesn't work like that - insurance for a MH takes into account not only the vehicle cost but the repair costs which can be a lot higher than for a car and a MH can have othe rissues which a car wouldn't, like damp/water ingress, theft of items (more value than in a car).

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Yes, have to admit, I am confused as to what the question is. Are you upset that your MH insurance is too low, or the smarty is too high?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think my smart is too expensive
I'm really sorry but insurance works on the numbers game. A smart car is much more likely to be involved in an accident, therefore the policy reflects this. It may be that your MH cost ten times what you paid for the smart, but the smart is ten times more likely to require a claim. Both your premiums seem reasonable to me.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can't understand the poll - but I vote for ten.

On a more serious note it is all down to risk and I suspect that Smart cars run into other cars more often than eight year old MHs doing minimal mileage a year. The problem isn't the value of the insured vehicle but the claims from third parties. Run into something expensive, crack a few necks and the claim could be tens of thousands. Many times the value of the insured vehicle.

And as an after thought I've seen two Smarts burning themselves to cinders on the side of the road in the last 18 months. No one else involved, just spontaneous combustion.

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
Could it be that your from Aberdeen and your , to put it tactfully , you like to look after the pennies .

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My car costs near £400 against my MH £348 with european wide breakdown&recovery. You've been around long enough to know motorhomes are cheaper to insure than cars so I don't sympathise with your grievance. You got two very good premiums

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My car costs near £400 against my MH £348 with european wide breakdown&recovery. You've been around long enough to know motorhomes are cheaper to insure than cars so I don't sympathise with your grievance. You got two very good premiums
Bit 'tetchy' Andy ... you been at the sherry tonight? :D

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Sorry if that's how it looks no intention to offend I just say it how I see it. I tend not to go for sugar coating :p

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back