Dorset Duo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Lunar Norstar
Exp
Just bought one
Newbies who bought a motorhome late in the season we only managed a couple of weekends away before finding storage. We have however booked the last week of November to travel to Cornwall staying at winter opening sites on the way. Whilst OH is really looking forward to it two dogs and the cold is not really doing it for me at the moment although I know we have heating!

Will we be the only winter motorhomers I wonder - anyone have any views other than advice of staying home in the warm?

Sue

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We will use ours any time we both get the same days off throughout the year.. Even if it's for one or two nights. Weather is not a deciding factor at all.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
we love Scotland in the winter if theirs not to much snow
Don't let snow put you off up there Bill.
We went all the way up to Aviemore skiing . The snow was really thick up the Cairngorms . We had no trouble navigating around Scotland , for 2 weeks , no matter how deep the snow.
They know how to deal with it up there. We didn't get stuck once.

THEN , as we were putting the Motorhome back into storage at Castelford , Wakefield , we got stuck fast.
The lazy soandsos at the storage couldn't be ar£ed to clear the snow. It was so compact it was like a toboggan run , on the entrance to the site !
Typical!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Don't let snow put you off up there Bill.
We went all the way up to Aviemore skiing . The snow was really thick up the Cairngorms . We had no trouble navigating around Scotland , for 2 weeks , no matter how deep the snow.
They know how to deal with it up there. We didn't get stuck once.

THEN , as we were putting the Motorhome back into storage at Castelford , Wakefield , we got stuck fast.
The lazy soandsos at the storage couldn't be ar£ed to clear the snow. It was so compact it was like a toboggan run , on the entrance to the site !
Typical!
it dose not faze me its her indoors we were brought up in Scotland must be getting soft in my old age
and I cant believe how my shelf and her indoors have changed be both have camped in the winter under canvas in the carngorms
we both had MLTB winter and summer have climbed most of the uk's highest peeks
I led a group up Mont Blanc way back in 1995
have been to Everest base camp in 1996
cant believe what a softy I have become

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
We're off to Devon and Cornwall soon for a couple of weeks as well. We go away all year round and have always enjoyed ourselves whatever the weather. As long as your van is sorted for cold weather you'll be fine. It's not so much winterising the van for me as winterising the man. I've just prised the electric blanket out of hubby's hands with the promise he wont get cold at night and if he does I'll make him a hot water bottle, failing that I'll get him some fleecy 'jamas, :giggler:

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Most heating systems on vans are up to the job these days aren't they?
I can never quite 'get' this talk of electric blankets, etc.

Even at -20 outside we are in t shirts and have a window open whilst we sleep to avoid overheating under the duvet!

Upvote 0

Vimbus

Free Member
Oct 31, 2014
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Pop Top Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Well it was 5 degrees down here last night and that's about as cold as it gets, unless your really unlucky and it goes down to freezing. I would say you'll be fine, use the heating to take the chill off and that should be it, enjoy your trip :)

Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We're off to the C & CC site at Canterbury next weekend, do a bit of Christmas shopping, then we've got a long weekend booked in Bruges for the Christmas market at the beginning of December - love the winter in the van :clap:

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Snow chill and bright is fantastic. Wind rain mud and solitude is orrible. :)

Upvote 0

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Taking the MH skiing sounds wonderful but driving a front wheel drive and an automatic gearbox fills me with trepidation. Does it work???

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I spent 2 winters full timing in my motorhome. Loved it. Was warmer and far more comfortable and cosy than either staying at home in huge French house or winter I house sat in Scotland and liquid in bottles froze inside the kitchen cupboards....... Give me a motorhome any day.

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Give me portugal in the winter any time, did 6 years in UK winters before we discovered winter warmth.
Our plan is to winter abroad every year now.
The worst one was in Southport 2010, water froze even the toilet froze, had to live from bottled water. Warm inside the van though with electric heater on, just didn't have a winterised van.
We still don't but we don't need it in Portugal now.

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We use our van all year round, in fact we love sitting watching the rain lash down or the snow fall.

So long as you have all your essentials with you and EHU you will have a great time, enjoy.

Paul

site4.jpg

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We do it without hook up. Great thing diesel heating!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back