ValinFrance

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Here is the old Trundler at the lake in Biscarrosse... lovely aire free of charge, WC but no hookup.... the place (not the campervan) was so pretty that a couple were having their wedding photos taken here while we stayed!

Attachments

• Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 47

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
In France (apart from in winter) we never hook up (unless it's part of a deal on a municipal site). In September we used just over one 11kg Gaslow in three weeks - but that was for all water heating, cooking and the fridge.
Many municipal sites offer very good value and are likely to be quite close to the town so leisure facilities are often available nearby; sometimes they are next to sports centres with swimming pools etc (look for 'loisirs').
We have never worried about reverse polarity - a good earth is more important (but then we have a German van and hardly ever hook-up anyway).
On balance, we use aires far more than campsites and as mentioned earlier, many are in excellent locations. One advantage is that they are often in the town so you feel part of the community. In September we did not use a campsite in the three weeks we were away - our total pitch costs were €15 because we used three aires where there was a €5 per night charge.
If you decide to use aires (and even if you stick with campsites) one of the most useful accessories you need is here:
http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm
It is worth paying the small fee to download the database and store it on your laptop. Also, download the POI file (free) and install it on your satnav. CC Infos is our primary source of pitch locations for France, and indeed for most of Europe.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I could see what Frankie meant; it's the faceless chains of campsites that are the worst really cos you don't know who owns em or where the owners live/company is registered.

Do they even pay their taxes in France? or whatever country you happen to be in at the time.

However, on an aire/locally owned campsite you do know who gets the money.

On a different tack; I had to laugh at the MHF downloadable Checklist. Washing line (actually a hank of guy rope comes in useful for all sorts of things including this one if you can't be bothered to get a washing line) BUT the one thing that wasn't stated was PEGS. How frustrated would you be on a nice windy day to have the line and a suitable pair of thins (trees or whatever) to get that up, do your smalls and then ....... ooops.

And finally I have to say we have never managed such low gas consumption either tent camping or by caravan or motorhome, in UK or abroad.

Normally we use aires, normally wherever we are we don't pay for hook up unless it's pre-included in the price - we have a solar panel, LEDS etc so don't regard it as a pre-requisite and we don't therefore load up with hairdriers, toasters and electric kettles etc. There are only 2 of us, no kids. Also, we don't BBQ. So the fridge is always on obviously. Just goes onto vehicle batt when travelling. So if it's cooked it's gas and of course multiple cuppas but only boil as much water as we need for 2 cuppas or the washing up, or whatever it is. Assuming it's warm so we don't have to have the fire on. Water heater - not every day. Wash ourselves in cold water normally, shower/hairwash = water heater on - approx twice/maybe 3x a week. Alternatively a strip-wash using kettle to supply warm water.

We have 2 x 6kg Gaslows and using like that we will start thinking we need to find somewhere to fill up in the next day or two by about Day 10. By Day 11 things are getting a bit ...... more urgent.

In practice, we just fill up as and when after about a week, and roughly every week - unless we know for a fact where we are, there's defo a nearby outlet. I do tend to get panicky yet quite probably it would easily last a bit longer, I'd rather not go there unless I have to.

(We only landed up with the 6kgs since the 11 kgs (or 13, whatever they are) wouldn't go through the gas locker door! - too wide!)

(Hopefully if we change the van we won't have that trouble and maybe we could flog em on here or ebay and get some dosh towards replacing them with bigger uns, but that will be whenever it will be and not an immediate priority. And possibly anyway, we would have the facility/security blanket in a different van of the option of taking a spare bottle with us, ie the room and payload - as we have both Calor and Camping Gaz bottles and regulators sitting here doing nowt already. )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
E111

Hi most has already been covered on here but just a reminder ,an E111 card (EHIC) for all in your party just in case can be done on line and are free takes roughly 6 weeks to arrive <http://www.nhs-e111-ehic.org.uk/?gclid=CJPslO-s4LQCFWbKtAodNSgA0g>

Have been enjoying the delights of France for many years as the kids grew up did both campsites and wild camp Aires and no Aires .Have always tried to mix with the locals and in most cases have been met with warmth and friendliness kids when young met local kids ,met their parents etc etc .
We now tend to meander wherever the road goes and still finding hidden delights.
As for gas I have propane 13kg which with adapters can be filled at garages(26Ltrs) in the UK or France still on the bottle I filled in March last year Cooker,oven,grill,heating,shower,use van often and two trips away 3w & 2w France/Spain. I don't use EHU as have solar energy.
The only plans we make nowadays is what time is the ferry :Smile:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
One way to save on gas south of Bordeaux is to buy a solar camping shower bag - black PVC, holds 20 litres of water. Half fill it then evacuate all the air and leave it strapped to the roof on sunny days.

Hey presto, by teatime there's more than enough steaming hot water to do the washing up, and maybe enough to do your face later. I've used them to shower with too.

As for Dordogne Aires - I can personally recommend La Roque-Gageac (small - arrive early) and Les Eyzies de Tayac. We're hoping to investigate some more this Easter. Mapped photos of both (and others) on the Aire Gallery link below.

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Re the whole issue of breathalyzers in France. You don't need to carry one until at least March 2013. If they don't scrap the whole idea then you will only need to carry one unless you intend to drink and drive. You do not have to breathalyze yourself before setting off on a journey and the police will use their own equipment to test you if they stop you, so you will still have a kit. The kits have a 1 year shelf life so if you do get them wait till the last opportunity to do so, then if you go to France again they might still be in date.
At present they are not enforcing the law, if you get stopped the fine is 11 euros, 2 kits at the ferry terminal will cost you about 13 quid.
Enjoy France and if you are in Normandy and get a hankering for some good old English Ale the Famous Knight in Couptrain is an English pub serving English beer brewed by an English brewer in France. Well worth a visit :ROFLMAO:

D

DM14742

Deleted User
We went to France for the first time in September & loved it. Used a combo of Aires and Sites & both have their merits. Only thing with many of the Aires is you can't really sit/spread outside & use the BBQ, it is a parking spot when all said & done however they are generally within walking distance of a town or Village and some are more like Campsites than Aires.
The ACSI card other than July / August is great value, we stayed on many 12 Euro sites & they were super.
I would agree with other posters regards All the Aires France book & ACSI book, we used the map co-ordinates with the sat nav which took us straight to the front entrance.
We didn't use toll roads at all, most of the National roads are 55 mph other than through Towns and Villages which for me was quite quick enough to take in the sights and we got down to the Dordogne in two and half days and you can stop whenever the fancy takes you. There are of course toll free motorways & we made the most of these to make progress.
WiFi is becoming more common now on sites so you can make use of this, the signal is usually best at the reception / bar area.
We needed the 2 pin EHU adapter just once & I agree that you don't really need Electric (we have Solar power) but if you use the ACSI card then it is in with the price so we made use of it.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Most things seem to have been covered except one which I do not think will affect you Vlad...

France can be a very dangerous place for a single man...

Sometimes innocent men find themselves single on entering France but spoken for when they leave.

You single blokes beware... :winky:

JJ :Cool:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We didn't use toll roads at all, most of the National roads are 55 mph other than through Towns and Villages which for me was quite quick enough .....

Not sure what weight your motorhome is Vlad, but if it is plated at more than 3.5 tonnes the speed limit on single carriageway roads is 80 kph / 50 mph - not that the local truckers seem to stick to it.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi most has already been covered on here but just a reminder ,an E111 card (EHIC) for all in your party just in case can be done on line and are free takes roughly 6 weeks to arrive <http://www.nhs-e111-ehic.org.uk/?gclid=CJPslO-s4LQCFWbKtAodNSgA0g>

The website above will charge you £17.99 for an EHIC card :Eeek:

Get one direct from NHS for free here:

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

Just thought I'd mention it :Smile:

May 10, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 months
france with dog

HI, my dog will be going with me to france. I live in liverpool which is great for public parks where the dog can be off lead and have a good run/ball chase. Just wondering what france is like for letting dog off lead, obviously I know he has to be on the lead in campsites etc but are there many places where dogs can be allowed to run free for a while?? I know when I take him to Wales there is very little opportunity to him to have a run off lead cos there are sheep or other livestock throughout most of the places for walks. Any one found this to be a problem in France??

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
HI, my dog will be going with me to france. I live in liverpool which is great for public parks where the dog can be off lead and have a good run/ball chase. Just wondering what france is like for letting dog off lead, obviously I know he has to be on the lead in campsites etc but are there many places where dogs can be allowed to run free for a while?? I know when I take him to Wales there is very little opportunity to him to have a run off lead cos there are sheep or other livestock throughout most of the places for walks. Any one found this to be a problem in France??
France is great for dogs its so big and sparsely populated most town beaches have no dogs on the beach from may till october but theres usually a beach less than a mile away with no restrictions
lots of open country to let the dog run free obviously you have to respect the normal rules regarding livestock but generally away from major cities youll be fine weve even eaten with our dog under the table in restaurants

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
enuf - We take our Border Collie and find ample places to let him run free.

Dogs are not allowed on beaches for most, sometimes all, of the year and as a visitor to France we should abide by the rules.

But very few French residents refrain from walking their dogs on the beach at any time of the day or year and you will see dogs running free on the beaches – as honest citizens we Brits usually stick to the rules – don't we?

We use cliff top paths and walks to give him exercise if we're on the Coast but inland you'll find places to walk the dog on or off the lead – the French have there own dogs and there is always somewhere close to Aires and Campsites if you look hard enough.

There hasn't been anywhere we've stayed in France that we've failed to find a place to let him safely run free.

If you use common sense, as you mentioned the dog must be on the lead on a Campsite or near animals, you'll be alright and if your dog is friendly and sociable you'll find the French will be just as happy to welcome him/her wherever you walk.

One place that might cause problems are in dense woodland and forests where the French love to go out shooting at anything that moves, not many places but just be careful, and if you see a sign 'Piége' in the woods do not let the dog off – 'Piége' means 'Trap' – and it's not for catching mice!

On your return to the UK you'll need to see a Vet to have the dogs Pet Passport stamped, signed and dated.

Could you please let me know which Vet you use, with as many details as possible, so that I can add the Vet to the recommended European Vets List.

PS – what kind of dog do you have?

:france::france::france:

Dave and Val

Free Member
Feb 8, 2013
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 100
Exp
just a year
Dave and Val

Joined today. Have read through all post because we are going through France on route to Spain. First time with a Motorhome. Just 1 point when using a sat nav, make sure you have the speed camera warning switched off in France. If you are stopped and the speed camera ID is on, you will be fined. But I think that most motorhome users are sensible and don't speed.

Dave

D

DM14742

Deleted User
enuf - We take our Border Collie and find ample places to let him run free.

Dogs are not allowed on beaches for most, sometimes all, of the year and as a visitor to France we should abide by the rules.

But very few French residents refrain from walking their dogs on the beach at any time of the day or year and you will see dogs running free on the beaches – as honest citizens we Brits usually stick to the rules – don't we?

We use cliff top paths and walks to give him exercise if we're on the Coast but inland you'll find places to walk the dog on or off the lead – the French have there own dogs and there is always somewhere close to Aires and Campsites if you look hard enough.

There hasn't been anywhere we've stayed in France that we've failed to find a place to let him safely run free.

If you use common sense, as you mentioned the dog must be on the lead on a Campsite or near animals, you'll be alright and if your dog is friendly and sociable you'll find the French will be just as happy to welcome him/her wherever you walk.

One place that might cause problems are in dense woodland and forests where the French love to go out shooting at anything that moves, not many places but just be careful, and if you see a sign 'Piége' in the woods do not let the dog off – 'Piége' means 'Trap' – and it's not for catching mice!

On your return to the UK you'll need to see a Vet to have the dogs Pet Passport stamped, signed and dated.

Could you please let me know which Vet you use, with as many details as possible, so that I can add the Vet to the recommended European Vets List.

PS – what kind of dog do you have?

:france::france::france:
I have one for you that we used in September & was really impressed.

CABINET VETERINAIRE DU BARRI
Z C La Carrette route de Souillac
46600 Martel
Tel: 0565373447 or Mobile: 06811495

Its in the Dordogne region, good for those travelling towards Brieve & on to Limoges & cost us 20 Euros

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Looking ahead to my first trip to France I'm wondering what I'll need over there that's different to what we use here? Or is there anything that you need for Touring abroad that you don't at home?
For example, do you use the same hook up lead? Or is there a continental one ?
All thoughts or recommendations welcomed.
Regards Vlad .

Your Motorhome....Yourself wife and family if you have one.....Diesel would be a good start...your money in euros/ or debit/credit card..Top up water when required.....suntan lotion....you may need an electric cable depending if you go on EHUP.....most of France will have the 16amp blue european socket or the two round pins and earth connection (French,Spain,Portugal style)...I carry as many others do a polarity tester and a reverse polarity socket & plug.(BUT many do not it is up to you)....water tap connections....1/2"..3/4"..1"....normal english hosepipe connectors...also a rubber push fit one with a jubilee screw tightening clip...your health card...always carry your passport, logbook, insurance, driving licence, MOT cert,(with while you driving)....high vist vest for all persons that are in the motorhome while in transit...the breath test ballons are on hold at the moment,( as I understand it)..... a first aid kit and a warning triangle...may be compulsory.....

then just enjoy yourselves and have a good holiday

Mel

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Although most French sites and Aires have the blue 16A socket, it doesn't mean it is a 16A supply. It may often only be 4A, fine for running the fridge and battery charger, even TV if mains but not enough for a domestic type electric kettle or heating.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Although most French sites and Aires have the blue 16A socket, it doesn't mean it is a 16A supply. It may often only be 4A, fine for running the fridge and battery charger, even TV if mains but not enough for a domestic type electric kettle or heating.

What Reallyretired has said is correct....I was just pointing out what type of connections are normaly used in france:thumb:.... not the amps they do vary....

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back