Dan The motorhome man

Free Member
Nov 9, 2015
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 208d autotrail
Exp
Good morning people, after living in my motor home for 2 months now and travelling Europe I fancy a bit of a bigger and more up to date mh. So I was wondering how I would go about getting my mh valued?
It's a Mercedes 208d auto trail cherokee l 1990 with 46k miles on the clock. Ive installed solar and havent yet had to connect to the mains since ive owned it. Its also been updated inside and i fitted a new kitchen from scratch. Originally it was a 5 birth with an overcab double, a pull out sofa and a single but ive built a tv unit in place of the single bed so its now just a 4 birth.
If anyone has any idea what shes worth or how i would go about finding out it would be much appriciated.
Regards
Dan

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Phone up one of the we buy any motorhome type people. That will give you an idea. Bear in mind that this will be a cash offer on the low side. You would get a bit more on a trade in and higher again if you sold privately. But it would give you a guide.

On my previous van I was offered £40k by one of these companies. Could have got £50k privately but settled on £47.5 trade in.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hi Dan...If you have only had it only a few months more or less what you paid for it if it was a private purchase..worth less if from a dealer.(just guessing that's all). put it in the classifieds on here but guess you really need a PX if full timing?

you can remove the goodies and move to next van.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We did the same, rang a couple of the ads from MMM, also a dealer for the van make we were selling, checked out autotrader, and also got a couple of trade in prices.

Most of the prices are based on the book price, with extras of little value.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
If you google the make and model, etc I expect that vehicles for sale will come up - you'd be able to get an idea based on that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dan The motorhome man

Dan The motorhome man

Free Member
Nov 9, 2015
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 208d autotrail
Exp
So far ive had the mh for a year but only been full timing for a couple months. When i bought the mh it wasnt until i had driven it home that i realised the whole kitchen was rotten and had to rip the whole lot out, back to the shell which i spent about 10 months doing while working. I wont necessarily need a px as I can find accommodation over Christmas with family. But I definitely want to continue the full timing as I have fallen in love with it! Cant beat the freedom! If I leave the extras in such as the new inverter, tv, ps3, boiler, solar system, extra batteries, safe ect would it increase the value by much or is it worth taking it with me to the next mh?
Ill get my google foo skills out and start search :) thanks everybody!

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
As far as I understand it, extras you have added are financially worthless when it comes to selling on, but they might make your van more saleable.
However, taking out things you've added, like a solar system, could have a negative effect on price if they leave "gaps" where they used to be.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'd look at EBay to research what your MH is likely to be worth as a private sale.
We sold our last MH on EBay - it was only 12 months old, and we sold it for considerably more than we were offered as a trade in

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
So far ive had the mh for a year but only been full timing for a couple months. When i bought the mh it wasnt until i had driven it home that i realised the whole kitchen was rotten and had to rip the whole lot out, back to the shell which i spent about 10 months doing while working. I wont necessarily need a px as I can find accommodation over Christmas with family. But I definitely want to continue the full timing as I have fallen in love with it! Cant beat the freedom! If I leave the extras in such as the new inverter, tv, ps3, boiler, solar system, extra batteries, safe ect would it increase the value by much or is it worth taking it with me to the next mh?
Ill get my google foo skills out and start search :) thanks everybody!

with such an old van take what you need as will never get the value back....can mention this in advert. "Sold as is, but lower offers I will remove such and such" :)

your buying experience a perfect example as to why best to either pay for survey/advice or take someone with you..please don't repeat this?

OP
OP
Dan The motorhome man

Dan The motorhome man

Free Member
Nov 9, 2015
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 208d autotrail
Exp
with such an old van take what you need as will never get the value back....can mention this in advert. "Sold as is, but lower offers I will remove such and such" :)

your buying experience a perfect example as to why best to either pay for survey/advice or take someone with you..please don't repeat this?
I hope to never repeat this! And definitely will learn from my mistake. I do tend to jump in with two feet when I see something I like but this time will only be dipping a toe! Im just happy I was working at the time otherwise I would have been up the creak without a paddle. If I find one im interested in buying ill ask on here and see if anyone is in the area and fancies a few beers for a look!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It is very difficult to value your MH, even based on similar models, because it isn't original any more, doing a few odd mods is one thing but you seem to have had to do more than that. Did you solve the problem of why the kitchen was rotten? Was it to do with water coming in from outside or just the unit itself?

Some photos of it showing work might help us to give you a better idea.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi Dan...If you have only had it only a few months more or less what you paid for it if it was a private purchase..worth less if from a dealer.(just guessing that's all). put it in the classifieds on here but guess you really need a PX if full timing?

you can remove the goodies and move to next van.
But judge he could have bought it for nowt or been robbed far King blind when he bought it ?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I hope to never repeat this! And definitely will learn from my mistake. I do tend to jump in with two feet when I see something I like but this time will only be dipping a toe! Im just happy I was working at the time otherwise I would have been up the creak without a paddle. If I find one im interested in buying ill ask on here and see if anyone is in the area and fancies a few beers for a look!

Put it on classified section on here. Gumtree, preloved. If that don't work ebay classified.. Always a market for cheap starter vans and Merc's have their fans

OP
OP
Dan The motorhome man

Dan The motorhome man

Free Member
Nov 9, 2015
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 208d autotrail
Exp
But judge he could have bought it for nowt or been robbed far King blind when he bought it ?
Id say I was robbed far king blind! :LOL:
Ill try and upload some pics this afternoon. I aslo have all the rebuild pics that show the extent of the work. It was rotten because of where the roof rack attaches it hadn't been sealed, it had rotten the wood into dust and looked like it was rotting for a good few years

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
It sounds to me like this is exactly the type of van people want as a first venture into motorhoming and you will get a good price for that reason with or without faults. As a private sale to some extent you can base the value on age, 1990 is quite old but it is a Mercedes, my guess is you can expect between £8-10,000 privatley, a dealer may retail it around £14,000 regardless of condition.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Having bought a few of that age ( for other people ) I would suggest the same as BBM above.. £8-£10k

As you fitted all the goodies your self and are pretty darned good with the tools, I would suggest you remove the sat system, tv, and the solar panels before selling

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
  • 'Mercedes 508d appreciation group' on Facebook. Free to join. Not just for 508s but all classic Merc MHs. You will have the attention of over 2300 MB MH owners/enthusiasts in UK and Europe.... ;)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
It sounds to me like this is exactly the type of van people want as a first venture into motorhoming and you will get a good price for that reason with or without faults. As a private sale to some extent you can base the value on age, 1990 is quite old but it is a Mercedes, my guess is you can expect between £8-10,000 privatley, a dealer may retail it around £14,000 regardless of condition.

I'm buggered if I'd have wanted to buy a van and found it rotten first time or not !!
Be enough to put many off !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back