Motor home valuation

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dan The motorhome man, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Dan The motorhome man

Dan The motorhome man

Good morning people, after living in my motor home for 2 months now and travelling Europe I fancy a bit of a bigger and more up to date mh. So I was wondering how I would go about getting my mh valued?
    It's a Mercedes 208d auto trail cherokee l 1990 with 46k miles on the clock. Ive installed solar and havent yet had to connect to the mains since ive owned it. Its also been updated inside and i fitted a new kitchen from scratch. Originally it was a 5 birth with an overcab double, a pull out sofa and a single but ive built a tv unit in place of the single bed so its now just a 4 birth.
    If anyone has any idea what shes worth or how i would go about finding out it would be much appriciated.
    Regards
    Dan

2. aldhp21

aldhp21 Funster

Phone up one of the we buy any motorhome type people. That will give you an idea. Bear in mind that this will be a cash offer on the low side. You would get a bit more on a trade in and higher again if you sold privately. But it would give you a guide.

On my previous van I was offered £40k by one of these companies. Could have got £50k privately but settled on £47.5 trade in.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Sound advice or you could take my offer of £1500 unseen and risk being robbed..........:wink:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Hi Dan...If you have only had it only a few months more or less what you paid for it if it was a private purchase..worth less if from a dealer.(just guessing that's all). put it in the classifieds on here but guess you really need a PX if full timing?

you can remove the goodies and move to next van.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

We did the same, rang a couple of the ads from MMM, also a dealer for the van make we were selling, checked out autotrader, and also got a couple of trade in prices.

Most of the prices are based on the book price, with extras of little value.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Oriel

Oriel

If you google the make and model, etc I expect that vehicles for sale will come up - you'd be able to get an idea based on that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dan The motorhome man

Dan The motorhome man

So far ive had the mh for a year but only been full timing for a couple months. When i bought the mh it wasnt until i had driven it home that i realised the whole kitchen was rotten and had to rip the whole lot out, back to the shell which i spent about 10 months doing while working. I wont necessarily need a px as I can find accommodation over Christmas with family. But I definitely want to continue the full timing as I have fallen in love with it! Cant beat the freedom! If I leave the extras in such as the new inverter, tv, ps3, boiler, solar system, extra batteries, safe ect would it increase the value by much or is it worth taking it with me to the next mh?
    Ill get my google foo skills out and start search :) thanks everybody!

8. Candapack

Candapack Funster

As far as I understand it, extras you have added are financially worthless when it comes to selling on, but they might make your van more saleable.
    However, taking out things you've added, like a solar system, could have a negative effect on price if they leave "gaps" where they used to be.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

I'd look at EBay to research what your MH is likely to be worth as a private sale.
    We sold our last MH on EBay - it was only 12 months old, and we sold it for considerably more than we were offered as a trade in

• Like Like x 1
  10. Judge Mental

with such an old van take what you need as will never get the value back....can mention this in advert. "Sold as is, but lower offers I will remove such and such" :)

your buying experience a perfect example as to why best to either pay for survey/advice or take someone with you..please don't repeat this?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dan The motorhome man

Dan The motorhome man

I hope to never repeat this! And definitely will learn from my mistake. I do tend to jump in with two feet when I see something I like but this time will only be dipping a toe! Im just happy I was working at the time otherwise I would have been up the creak without a paddle. If I find one im interested in buying ill ask on here and see if anyone is in the area and fancies a few beers for a look!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

It is very difficult to value your MH, even based on similar models, because it isn't original any more, doing a few odd mods is one thing but you seem to have had to do more than that. Did you solve the problem of why the kitchen was rotten? Was it to do with water coming in from outside or just the unit itself?

Some photos of it showing work might help us to give you a better idea.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Charlie

Charlie Funster

But judge he could have bought it for nowt or been robbed far King blind when he bought it ?

14. Judge Mental

Put it on classified section on here. Gumtree, preloved. If that don't work ebay classified.. Always a market for cheap starter vans and Merc's have their fans

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dan The motorhome man

Dan The motorhome man

Id say I was robbed far king blind! :LOL:
    Ill try and upload some pics this afternoon. I aslo have all the rebuild pics that show the extent of the work. It was rotten because of where the roof rack attaches it hadn't been sealed, it had rotten the wood into dust and looked like it was rotting for a good few years

16. Dan The motorhome man

Dan The motorhome man

17. Big bus man

Big bus man

It sounds to me like this is exactly the type of van people want as a first venture into motorhoming and you will get a good price for that reason with or without faults. As a private sale to some extent you can base the value on age, 1990 is quite old but it is a Mercedes, my guess is you can expect between £8-10,000 privatley, a dealer may retail it around £14,000 regardless of condition.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Judge Mental

19. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Having bought a few of that age ( for other people ) I would suggest the same as BBM above.. £8-£10k

As you fitted all the goodies your self and are pretty darned good with the tools, I would suggest you remove the sat system, tv, and the solar panels before selling

20. stcyr

stcyr Funster

• 'Mercedes 508d appreciation group' on Facebook. Free to join. Not just for 508s but all classic Merc MHs. You will have the attention of over 2300 MB MH owners/enthusiasts in UK and Europe.... ;)

• Like Like x 1