Motor Caravanners' Guide to Banff and Macduff (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A good guide, but the rest of the link about parking in Scotland makes grim reading. Best summarised as: don't know, not interested or go away.

Last edited:

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
When we moved up here in 2004 we stayed on the campsite at Banff Links for a couple of months while house hunting. Fairly basic campsite but absolutely fabulous beach :thumb:

Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
If you are in touch with them again, thank them from me as I for one will be visiting them as part of researching my roots. :thumb:

Got my eye on that golf course too, Yippee.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Brilliant. My wife's uncle lives in Whitehills. a fishing village a few miles from Banff. We shall certainly use the leaflet when we next visit him.

Rgds
Bill

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
We live in Whitehills and know that motorhomes are very welcome here. Our harbour master will happily let visitors use the showers (for a donation) and also fill up with water. We also have he best fish processor in the area near the harbour with some of the freshest fish you could taste. Plus they do some superb fish pies and take away Cullen Skink. We have two pubs, one with a very good restaurant and live music (folk type usually) on a Thursday night, plus a cafe down at the harbour. We have loads of Germany and Dutch motorhomes staying in the village. We also have a C&CC CS on the edge of the village, you can sit and watch dolphins swimming by while eating your breakfast!!!

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
We live in Whitehills and know that motorhomes are very welcome here. Our harbour master will happily let visitors use the showers (for a donation) and also fill up with water. We also have he best fish processor in the area near the harbour with some of the freshest fish you could taste. Plus they do some superb fish pies and take away Cullen Skink. We have two pubs, one with a very good restaurant and live music (folk type usually) on a Thursday night, plus a cafe down at the harbour. We have loads of Germany and Dutch motorhomes staying in the village. We also have a C&CC CS on the edge of the village, you can sit and watch dolphins swimming by while eating your breakfast!!!

You don't have a membership at the golf club ? If you do, you may become a very wanted man ! :thumb::thumb:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Bit early to be positive, but all being well we plan on an extended "homeland" tour in June/July 2014 taking in the Commonwealth Games and all points north. Many thanks for a very useful link, will hopefully put it to good use.

Regards, Bryan

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
As an Englishman living in Scotland who has just finished a 3 month tour of France……….

It just confirms why I'll be touring Europe next year and NOT Scotland……..

In their defence I suppose it is no different to the rest of the UK really, the councils are not really interested in Motorhomes.

As Hilldweller has often said (and to me!)….why go North when everything South is warmer, cheaper and more welcoming?

Hmm……just pondering over which way to get to Portugal in January :Smile::Smile:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Hmmm I see nobody has mentioned the elephant in the room yet :Eeek: if you don't like a landscape filled with huge industrial wind turbines, Banff is not for you......If you do then Banff is the place for you because they tower over that town and around:thumb: that may go some way to explaining why MH's do drive through Banff without stopping? If they do stop its probably to wonder how a community council could let this landscape destruction happen to their once scenic town.......

Last edited:

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Hmmm I see nobody has mentioned the elephant in the room yet :Eeek: if you don't like a landscape filled with huge industrial wind turbines, Banff is not for you......If you do then Banff is the place for you because they tower over that town and around:thumb: that may go some way to explaining why MH's do drive through Banff without stopping? If they do stop its probably to wonder how a community council could let this landscape destruction happen to their once scenic town.......
This is another marmite moment. I don't mind wind turbines. IMO they are a lot better looking than the electricity pylons.

Each to their own, I suppose

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Can you pm me the details of your contact on the community council. I am on my local one and I am putting a case forward to angus council to be more motorhome friendly. :Smile:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
This is another marmite moment. I don't mind wind turbines. IMO they are a lot better looking than the electricity pylons.

Each to their own, I suppose
Pretty sure most peoples positive attitudes change when a landowner wants to erect a giant one next to their house and scottish planning law allows an 100 meter turbine to be erected without neighbour notification unless the neighbour is within 20 meters of the turbine which is never going to happen ....As for Banff I have seen it quoted as an example of the turbine town many people don't want to happen to them.

Bridie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2010
Bonnie Dundee
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since July 2013
Can you pm me the details of your contact on the community council. I am on my local one and I am putting a case forward to angus council to be more motorhome friendly. :Smile:

Would be interesting to see how you get on.
Here in Broughty Ferry the council put up "No Overnight Parking" signs on the parking spots from the harbour east.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Would be interesting to see how you get on.
Here in Broughty Ferry the council put up "No Overnight Parking" signs on the parking spots from the harbour east.

We are talking about daytime parking not overnighting. They are two different subjects and need to be approached differently.

Car parks in general are not designed for overnighting, for various reasons. That situation will only change if convincing arguments are put forward, not just because some of us might find it convenient.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

I had no idea about this. I lived at King Edward (about 3 miles inland from Banff) from 1991 to 2005. Pleasant rolling farmland but certainly very windy! Can see why Banffshire would be a prime target for wind turbines. However I was amazed to see the number of them as per this map: http://www.cawt.co.uk/index.php?page=map . Everyone's at it, including three of my ex-neighbours. :Eeek:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've just had an update from Ian Williams at Banff and Macduff Community Council.

They have updated, and expanded, their leaflet for 2014, now including some tourist information. Banffshire Coast Tourism Partnership will be updating the copy on their website - should be with the same url - in the next few days, so details still Here under Aberdeenshire Council/Banff and Macduff Community Council.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've just had an update from Ian Williams at Banff and Macduff Community Council with a copy of the updated 2015 leaflet. As Ian says "This is slowly expanding but of course does still include the updated map and list of car parks in our towns – even more of which are now free for cars and motorcaravans !".

The leaflet is downloadable from the Scotland page on my web site under Aberdeenshire/Banff and Macduff Community Council.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back