Motor Caravanners' Guide to Banff and Macduff

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by GJH, Dec 21, 2013.

1. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I've just had an e-mail from Banff and Macduff Community Council to tell me about the guide they have produced.

Details Here under Aberdeenshire Council/Banff and Macduff Community Council.

• Like Like x 8
  2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

A good guide, but the rest of the link about parking in Scotland makes grim reading. Best summarised as: don't know, not interested or go away.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. philw111

philw111 Funster

When we moved up here in 2004 we stayed on the campsite at Banff Links for a couple of months while house hunting. Fairly basic campsite but absolutely fabulous beach :thumb:

Phil

• Like Like x 1
  4. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

If you are in touch with them again, thank them from me as I for one will be visiting them as part of researching my roots. :thumb:

Got my eye on that golf course too, Yippee.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. WillH

WillH Funster

Brilliant. My wife's uncle lives in Whitehills. a fishing village a few miles from Banff. We shall certainly use the leaflet when we next visit him.

Rgds
    Bill

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nethernut

Nethernut Read Only Funster

We live in Whitehills and know that motorhomes are very welcome here. Our harbour master will happily let visitors use the showers (for a donation) and also fill up with water. We also have he best fish processor in the area near the harbour with some of the freshest fish you could taste. Plus they do some superb fish pies and take away Cullen Skink. We have two pubs, one with a very good restaurant and live music (folk type usually) on a Thursday night, plus a cafe down at the harbour. We have loads of Germany and Dutch motorhomes staying in the village. We also have a C&CC CS on the edge of the village, you can sit and watch dolphins swimming by while eating your breakfast!!!

• Like Like x 8
  7. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

You don't have a membership at the golf club ? If you do, you may become a very wanted man ! :thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I thought for one moment you'd taken to reading Shakespeare:Doh:

• Like Like x 3
  9. bryandh

bryandh Funster

Bit early to be positive, but all being well we plan on an extended "homeland" tour in June/July 2014 taking in the Commonwealth Games and all points north. Many thanks for a very useful link, will hopefully put it to good use.

Regards, Bryan

10. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

As an Englishman living in Scotland who has just finished a 3 month tour of France……….

It just confirms why I'll be touring Europe next year and NOT Scotland……..

In their defence I suppose it is no different to the rest of the UK really, the councils are not really interested in Motorhomes.

As Hilldweller has often said (and to me!)….why go North when everything South is warmer, cheaper and more welcoming?

Hmm……just pondering over which way to get to Portugal in January :Smile::Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  11. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Hmmm I see nobody has mentioned the elephant in the room yet :Eeek: if you don't like a landscape filled with huge industrial wind turbines, Banff is not for you......If you do then Banff is the place for you because they tower over that town and around:thumb: that may go some way to explaining why MH's do drive through Banff without stopping? If they do stop its probably to wonder how a community council could let this landscape destruction happen to their once scenic town.......

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  12. philw111

philw111 Funster

This is another marmite moment. I don't mind wind turbines. IMO they are a lot better looking than the electricity pylons.

Each to their own, I suppose

13. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

Can you pm me the details of your contact on the community council. I am on my local one and I am putting a case forward to angus council to be more motorhome friendly. :Smile:

• Like Like x 3
  14. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Pretty sure most peoples positive attitudes change when a landowner wants to erect a giant one next to their house and scottish planning law allows an 100 meter turbine to be erected without neighbour notification unless the neighbour is within 20 meters of the turbine which is never going to happen ....As for Banff I have seen it quoted as an example of the turbine town many people don't want to happen to them.

15. Bridie

Bridie Read Only Funster

Would be interesting to see how you get on.
    Here in Broughty Ferry the council put up "No Overnight Parking" signs on the parking spots from the harbour east.

16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We are talking about daytime parking not overnighting. They are two different subjects and need to be approached differently.

Car parks in general are not designed for overnighting, for various reasons. That situation will only change if convincing arguments are put forward, not just because some of us might find it convenient.

17. maz

maz Funster

I had no idea about this. I lived at King Edward (about 3 miles inland from Banff) from 1991 to 2005. Pleasant rolling farmland but certainly very windy! Can see why Banffshire would be a prime target for wind turbines. However I was amazed to see the number of them as per this map: http://www.cawt.co.uk/index.php?page=map . Everyone's at it, including three of my ex-neighbours. :Eeek:

18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I've just had an update from Ian Williams at Banff and Macduff Community Council.

They have updated, and expanded, their leaflet for 2014, now including some tourist information. Banffshire Coast Tourism Partnership will be updating the copy on their website - should be with the same url - in the next few days, so details still Here under Aberdeenshire Council/Banff and Macduff Community Council.

19. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

A droll literary connection there Phil... :thumb:

Most unlike you... :Blush::Wink::BigGrin:

20. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Scanning down on Graham's Banff page it's interesting to see JJ has opened a cafe near Fort William. A bit closer to the Etihad but he won't get the weather.

• Like Like x 1