Moto-Trek delivery schedule - a word of warning for any prospective purchasers

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by fastpat, Aug 28, 2014.

1. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

Having spent the last two years deliberating the purchase of a van, all the usual debates CB vs panel van old vs new. Following a visit to the NEC last October 0n 23rd November we finally took the plunge and paid our £2k deposit for a new Moto-Trek Leisure Treka with a custom backend to suit our needs, at this point delivery was to be late May. The paperwork comes through on the 3rd of December with a delivery date of the 9th June. I visit the factory on the 30th April to sort out some specific details and am informed that the 9th of June still the expected delivery date.

29th May whilst I am chasing up payment and registration details for insurance I am informed that I should have received a letter telling me that the build has been delayed and delivery should now be "mid/late July". Come the 3rd of June I finally receive a letter informing me that the completion date is now the 21st July. In the interim they are prepared to provide a loan vehicle for a weeks holiday we had booked but as that vehicle isn't fitted with a tracker I cannot get insurance for it - they agree to knock £420 of the price to cover the B&B costs.

Return from holiday to be informed that delivery has now slipped to w/c 4th August, this then slips to the 28th August at 3:30pm - ie today. We paid the balance and sorted out insurance more than two weeks ago.

12.10 today they phone to make sure we haven't left yet for the 3:30 handover meeting as the van is not going to be ready until next week, so we have lost a months tax and insurance and we could have had a September registration and delivery is a full three months later than we were originally informed - the summer has gone!

It strikes me that if Moto-Trek put as much attention into their production management as they do into their marketing / show attendance then they have a very good product, but if they treat all their customers like this then they will very quickly build up a reputation that no amount of marketing spend can correct.

Rant over!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Yotanka

Yotanka Read Only Funster

I would be spitting feathers by now and tempted to tell them where to put it (n) hopefully it will be ready soon.

• Like Like x 6
  3. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

If any dealer or manfacturer wants a deposit for an unbuilt MH, walk away!
    Its their licence to take the piss.

• Like Like x 3
  4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

But they just keep doing it, despite FUN's best efforts.

I suspect they use gas at these exhibitions.

Second take on this, look at these pictures, got to admit that's one beautiful interior. If they look as good in the flesh it would be easy to get to the deposit stage.

http://www.moto-trek.co.uk/catalogue/motorhomes/leisure-treka-range/leisure-treka-rl.php

• Like Like x 3
  5. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Has it arrived yet? If not I think you have a case for breach of contract and a talk with a solicitor is called for.

It is 4 months overdue and that just isn't good enough.

Trading Standards might be able to help as well. At least notify them so they have correspondence in their files.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I totally agree with this. What a bloody disgrace.
    I'd say if van not handed over today, with compensation for loss of tax & insurance it's a lawyer job. So sorry to hear you've had all this stress.

7. Phill D

Phill D

i think i would be spitting blood and feathers also... however, your van is in sight and just maybe you can get a few extras out of this. looks a beautiful van fit and you do need a relationship with the dealer for your warranty period, i would at the very least be making them feel they owe you and reminding them that " if any warranty work is needed on this van your after sales had better be on the ball after the poor pre delivery service"!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

What a beautiful van, I want one, of course I do and wait! My pension lump sum matures next month!

Apparently the salesman is called Christian-- he's not in today but will be there in the morning. I left a message that I would have loved to buy their beautiful shiny van but alas! They've let down a customer so badly I won't touch their company with a barge pole.
    Wonder what they'd do if they got a few more similar calls? Or am I just being nasty?

• Like Like x 8
  9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Sorry to hear of the delay.. that must be so annoying to say the least.. I do hope you take delivery soon.. I'm sure the wait will be worth it and all the frustration forgotten once you get away on your first trip.

We are going through the same process of researching and deciding on a new panel van conversion .. it's a daunting task and getting it right is not easy.. but that's one less convertor on my list.

just for info, I looked at their deliver terms.. I'm afraid they have the delay covered..

6.2 Any dates quoted for delivery of the Goods are approximate only and the Seller shall not be liable for any delay in delivery of the Goods however caused. Time for delivery shall not be of the essence of the Contract unless previously agreed by the Seller in Writing. The Goods may be delivered by the Seller in advance of the quoted delivery date on giving reasonable notice to the Buyer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

Yes I had already checked the T&C, I am exploring the issues relating to tax, insurance and a newer registration on which I may have a case.

In all honesty I just want the bloody van! I am sure when we get it and IF it is properly built and finished then these delays will be lost in the midst of time, but the whole delivery date fiasco has certainly taken some of the shine of the process.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I always try and buy the one I have seen at the show. Example. Years ago, we went to the NEC, and were very interested in the Hymer/Fendt Caravan. As the number of agents at that time in the UK was very limited, (still is), we got the old 'promise/build date routine'. and so, as the model we wanted was on show, we said 'how much for THAT one on Monday'.........
    We owned a brand new model, with a LARGE reduction in price, picked it up the following week. OK, a few thousand peeps had been in it, but so what, everything was brand new and unmarked. AND, most importantly, no waiting time.(y)

• Like Like x 11
  13. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

But did you know the T&Cs when you ordered? Were you given a copy and chance to study the before you signed? If not you still could have a case as it may have been an unfair clause.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Have you had a look at that Co in Penryn, buggered if I can find their name now, but they have a good reputation for not only delivery, but also after sales,
    they will even build a bespoke van just on your specifications, they use VW or Transits (?)

15. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Or Mill Garage in Duns? They have a good reputation and did a brilliant job on my van door. No other affiliation but I have seen a few of their conversions and been impressed.

16. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Come to think of it, we bought our Pilote at Peterborough after having looked at but not inside the moto trek there (Dawn didn't like the external colour much either). The deal was as Tootles said "that van there" and not one sometime in the future. A delivery delay was due to the Duck flying off to Panama but we picked it up the day after I got back.

As a postscript the new owner of our lovely AutoSleeper made contact today. He'll call back with some more questions, but you may be assured that they will be pointed in the direction of Fun if not already a member

• Like Like x 2
  17. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

There was a delay getting our new van, which was annoying at the time but I lived with it. It was partly due to an error by the local Fiat agent ordering the chassis and delays in Italy. It turned out in the end to my advantage as I was able to alter the spec of the basic chassis long after I could have done if it had all gone to the original timescale.

As for paying a deposit I had no problem with this as the vehicle was bespoke to my spec including the factory fitted Fiat options.
    For companies which produce standard models all the same then there might be a case for not paying a deposit but for small manufacturers where every order is different a deposit is very reasonable.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I bet your wings were sore after that.... (sorry, couldn't resist)
    I only cross salt water in a vehicle as I'm a puddleduck and we don't "do" salt water. Bad for our plumage.

• Like Like x 4
  19. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Oooooh..........posh girl ;)

• Like Like x 3
  20. Abacist

Abacist Funster

As a retired accountant I would urge caution and never pay such a large sum before delivery. The company could go bust between you paying and expecting delivery and you would lose your money and never get your van. If there is any money or assets these go first to secured creditors like banks for loans and overdrafts, then to preferred creditors like HMRC and unsecured creditors usually get nothing. If those who have supplied the company with goods with a good reservation of title in their terms they might recover their goods if they have not been built into a product.

• Like Like x 3