MOT - where to go

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ninjayorkies, Mar 20, 2011.

1. ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies Read Only Funster

Van MOT is due in April and this is the first time I've had to get a motorhome tested. Can anyone recommend a garage? I will most likely be back in the Coventry/Nuneaton area by then and having read a few horror stories I don't want to get ripped off with problems that don't exist :thumb:

2. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I take our Hymer to Peter Haines Engineers in Banbury for all base vehicle work. Peter and his team are excellent and I feel a kind of confidence in being parked in his workshop next to 40 tonne artics. My logic being that if they can work on those, they can sort out my motorhome with ease.
    There is a Council MOT testing station next door to them and another testing station on the same industrial estate. Peter services the van and checks it for the MOT then takes it round and has the test done for me.
    Highly recommended.

If you are back around Harbury it is not far down to Banbury.

http://www.peterhainesengineers.co.uk/

Philip

3. sedge

sedge Funster

We haven't needed ours done yet! - but I think I've rather assumed it will go to the Fiat Dealers - Research Garage - virtually next door to the Geo Eliot Hospital on the A444 between Bedworth & Nuneaton when it needs to be done.

The council apparently have an MOT station at St Mary's Road Depot, it's on NBBC's website if you insert 'MOT Testing' in the Search box. No idea what they are like or even where St Mary's Road is LOL

Perhaps Mark, Alan or Ash will pipe up in a minute cos they will prolly know of somehwere?

4. ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies Read Only Funster

The Council MOT station is off Abbey Green. I took my car there a few years ago. It's more or less at the back of the Fire Station/Pets at Home/Asda etc.

5. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Council MOT centres do not have hidden agenda's about finding "work" that needs doing.

6. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

I always use our local council MOT station. As Wivvy says, they have no hidden aganda in finding bogus problems. On a recent test I was invited to look under the van to see that the exhaust was getting quite badly corroded but he nevertheless passed it. A week later the exhaust failed but I had had a week to check out the availabilty of a new one.

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

You should be reading this from where im sitting
    Its funny, really funny:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    The mot tester is out to get you right, making up stuff as he goes along:thumb:

Yet when youve just bought a car or van, he must have been blind,:Cool: he missed this missed that missed the other:Doh:
    :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Geo
    Blind Robber:RollEyes:

8. IanH

IanH Read Only Funster

Being recently added as a nominated tester i can certainly relate to what your saying Geo,we are damned if we do and damned if we don't:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

9. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Geo and IanH - one word

Kwikfit

10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

And others.. Geo, you really need to do a bit of research mate..

To the OP...
    If you are not within range of Geo or peter or Dave ( not sure if he does MOT's ) then as others have said, the 100% best places are council ones ( or forestry ones.. If you have forests close by check on the forestry main depot.
    Very thorough, very good, very fair