MOT too early (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just phoned VOSA, I have a choice of 1 day before the earliest I can book, so I can't preserve the anniversary, or 6 weeks after it runs out. :Doh:

Olley

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi olley .you dont have to use vosa if its for your camper you could try other places like council workshops etc.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Alan, council use VOSA as well, other places like the Merc lorry garage down the road can't do class 4, had this problem when I got the first MOT. but this is the first time I have had trouble booking it in.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i would have thought if you ask vosa for a list of private mot stations that can take rv,s it should be easy. all car stations can do campers so long as they have the right weight equipment. check at mot stations someone will know of a local class 4 station.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Mot

Hi Olley Know it sounds daft but have you tried doing a search on Google for CLASS 4 MOT in ipswich
I do this for whatever we are looking for and usually come up with a response -Sue

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i just tried that myself there over 200 class 4 mot stations around ipswich.its finding wich ones can do heavy rv.s is the prob. i think he will have to do some phone ringing. great minds think alike though cheers alan

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Guys, brother's a tester for a local garage for 20 odd years, and he doesn't know of any other class 4 station that can test a 9tonne RV, even if they still have a pit, and most don't nowadays, their brake rollers can't take the weight, I know you can stick a gauge in the RV, drive down the road and slap the brakes on, but is it worth the effort? VOSA is easy, just lose a month that's all, no big deal. but thanks for trying. :thumb:

Olley

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
we have several places around here and its only cornwall. i,m really suprised i would have thought there would have been loads round your area . sorry cant help. cheers alan.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Hi Olley - if we cannot get a lorry in @ Taunton MOT then we would usually arrange for South Molton or Exeter - did you specify a particular MOT station ?? if so may be worth looking at others away from your area. I know it is more expensive but some of the big lorry garages Block book MOT's and may have an unused slot they would let you use - Seems daft that there is nothing available - they are only too keen to jump up and down if you do not comply with the rules but dont seem to be doing anything to help people to comply.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi they did offer Norwich or Chelmsford, but I just thought, is it worth driving 45 miles there and back to save a month? anyway its paid for now.

When you phone the central number you're told you can book them online, tried that, mine doesn't exist according to the website :Doh: you have to wait and be put through to the test station itself, we're "Special vehicles" I was told, I thought "I know" :ROFLMAO:

I am classed as a small class 4 says the receptionist, don't know what the tester will say when he see's it.

Olley

Last edited:
OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi passed ok yesterday, so good for another year, he did notice a slight oil leak underneath, so when I got home I crawled under and had a look, its the oil filter, took it off, cleaned it and put it back, but still the same, and I don't have a spare, emailed Linda but of course there all at the show. :Doh:

Olley

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
It`s a nice feeling when they say every thing ok,,

Took mine up to Motorhome Medics, for a service and mot couple of weeks ago, relieved when they phoned up and said all done no problems,, especially when the truck of the 5th wheel I knew in side out and knew ther were no faults with that. so with the new rig it was always at the back of my mind "How much is this going to cost" ::bigsmile:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Sad: There is the other problem with some VOSA testing stations. The one I use at Carcroft near Doncaster has only 2 they deem qualified to test Large RV's. :RollEyes:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi John Ipswich VOSA have only 1, I got offered, yesterday or December. :Doh: Luckily he's a nice guy, not a jobsworth, he noticed that I have no visual conformation that the hazards are on when the ignition is off, said to get it fixed for next year. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Bigtrev8xl

Free Member
Mar 31, 2009
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
MOT in Great Blakenham

Hi.
I use this council run one in Great Blakenham Link Removed

Cheers Big Trev.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi John Ipswich VOSA have only 1, I got offered, yesterday or December. :Doh: Luckily he's a nice guy, not a jobsworth, he noticed that I have no visual conformation that the hazards are on when the ignition is off, said to get it fixed for next year. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Strange that,,, just been and checked my hazards,, ignition on haz flash on dashboard, turn ignition off and lights on dash go off,, but the ticking/clicking is enough to wake the dead..

Just had mine MOT`d and it went through ok. No mention of visual..

When you put your warning light in can you let me know what you wire it up to??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back