MOT time (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Having had my first van for almost a year, its MOT and service time. Initial thought was to go back to the dealer, but it's a 60 mile round trip and they don't even do the MOT themselves anyway. So it occurred to me that as the base vehicle is a van, then any van servicing/MOT garage could do it. Is this so? Or are there arcane laws relating to 'motorcaravans' of which I am unaware?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well our local Fiat dealer (cars and commercials) do MOTs so obviously we rang them. We didn't speak to the guy who does our servicing because he's 'mobile' and doesn't do MOTs.

However they don't DO motorhome MOTs even though they DO work on em! (we had a warranty issue - the 'juddergate' thing - sorted there) and told us a local place that does in Nuneaton.

It might be a weight issue or something, I dunno really why - but anyway this other place was absolutely fine and all properly set up to do it with any make of base vehicle.

So yes basically as long as they are set up for it, anyone can do it. If you don't have anywhere in mind yourself, ask the base vehicle dealer and they should be able to suggest somewhere if they don't do em.

Last edited:

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Asuming its a Fiat, Ford and Slater on the Narborough Road are the Leicester Agents,We take ours there for the 2 year service, but use the VOSPA station in Cannock Street, who can handle up to 3.5 tonnes :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The MOT is a standard car one, Class 4..
BUT it comes down to the length and weight of your vehicle if the garage can lift it on their ramps. So just call around a few MOT garages.

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks all - now I realise I'm not tied to a motorhome dealer, I remembered going to Ausden Clark in the past, which is a coach company as well as garage, so can handle any size! They wanted £46 for the MOT and £180 for service, which seemed reasonable. I'll think about a habitation check separately...

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks all - now I realise I'm not tied to a motorhome dealer, I remembered going to Ausden Clark in the past, which is a coach company as well as garage, so can handle any size! They wanted £46 for the MOT and £180 for service, which seemed reasonable. I'll think about a habitation check separately...
Thats about the same as we pay, for your hab check try Central Leisure Services, in Nuneaton, they come to you full hab check £95 :thumb:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Did mine recently at the local council depot, they have the facilties for larger vehicles, mine is 25 foot.
That needed the length from middle of front wheel to middle of rear wheel which was 15 foot to make sure it fitted ramps, no problem and its the same as a car MOT.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our local bus depot used to do them, though mine is always done by our local mechanic who has done all our vehicles for years. Although he could cope with the 6m Dethleffs in his own workshop, the Rapido is too large so he does it at a local commercial workshop using their ramp etc.
I would not ever trust a vehicle to a main agent, I have only done so twice and on each occasion they did a great deal of damage (different dealers)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think the current price for an MOT is £56 but that isnt set in stone.
many garages charge as little as £30.

as previously posted, the MOT is the same as a standard car (class IV) but the weight and height are usually the main restrictions.

if you get stuck look for your local council depot workshop.
if they do their own MOT's they are obliged to offer the service to the public and as they don't do repairs they have no incentive to fail it just to get the remedial work

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back