Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Yesterday the Wagon (Iveco 35/12 self-(semi)built passed yet another MOT test at Locksbrook Garage in Bath.

They let me park up outside the night before...

The bill as follows-

Carry out MOT Test.
Replace O/S track rod end.
Repair fault on Lights.
Change engine oil and filter.
Change g/box oil.
Flush water system and renew anti-freeze.
Change brake fluid.
Adjust fan belt.
Check brake pads.
Adjust h/brake.

Parts £40.50
Oil £50.00
Mot £56.75
Labour £180
Vat £40.57

Total. £367.82

In the old days I would have put it in for the test and then done all the necessary repairs and servicing myself. Dirty hands, aching back, ripped clothes. Yesterday I strolled into town, had a bite to eat, a beer with some friends and by 5pm it was all done and dusted.

What do you people think?

JJ

Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
Just done a similar thing myself. Iveco full service and MOT (needed £40 labour to make the horn work yet I hadn't noticed it wasn't working) Total cost £293. Included was the MOT cost at £54 - why is it that everyone charges differently for the MOT????

One interesting and positive thing was that I was issued with a weight certificate giving total weight, fron and rear axle weights - very useful. The workshop foreman said it was the new Iveco servicing schedule that had introduced the weight certificate. Hadn't come across that before but that may be because for the first time I took the MH to a commercial dealer and not a MH dealer

Finally I was well pleased with the £40 labour for fixing the horn as this also fixed the cruise control that had not worked for over a year and I had spent some £600 on various parts to make it work without success.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Good news re cruise control... I love them.

I also love those Flairs... if only, if only... now where is that lottery form to fill in...

JJ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just done a similar thing myself. Iveco full service and MOT (needed £40 labour to make the horn work yet I hadn't noticed it wasn't working) Total cost £293. Included was the MOT cost at £54 - why is it that everyone charges differently for the MOT????

One interesting and positive thing was that I was issued with a weight certificate giving total weight, fron and rear axle weights - very useful. The workshop foreman said it was the new Iveco servicing schedule that had introduced the weight certificate. Hadn't come across that before but that may be because for the first time I took the MH to a commercial dealer and not a MH dealer

Finally I was well pleased with the £40 labour for fixing the horn as this also fixed the cruise control that had not worked for over a year and I had spent some £600 on various parts to make it work without success.
Because they can up to the max of £54.00 (class4) £57.70 (class7)
The trade has asked for years for a fixed fee, based on the fact you can not shop around for a tax disc so why an MOT, if we all got our heads together and said we will all charge the max then that would break trading laws (cartel agreements)
Vosa say if they fixed the Mot Fee (they cant)it's government decision then garages would introduce other freebies instead to get business IE full price and a crate of beer with every test etc, so the decision is it's to remain a free market based on customer demand and satisfaction we charge £49 as do most of the independents around here ,main agents and MOT test only places (no repairs) charge full fee
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back