Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is what I'm thinking, I have been away for over a year and the MH has been parked on my Drive, Sorned but the MOT expired ,so I book the MOT do the Journey Southern Spain - Folkstone straight to MOT station I am then legal all the way through.
Basically if I understand this correctly, you appear to have 'broken' the UK and Spanish Law already by being away for over a year (I am assuming at your home in Spain) and not registering your vehicle there - I certainly would NOT like to try to submit an insurance claim if anything happened as you may find that you have invalidated it but that is between you and your insurers/the policy details/and what you've told them!

The point I am trying to get across is that the MH needs to arrive at the French boarder on the last day of the MOT. Entering the UK via channel the MH can drive straight to the MOT station booked as close to Folkstone even though the MOT has now expired so long as there was an appointment. Quite correctly the MH cannot be driven across the Europe with an expired MOT then get legal in the UK.

Pretty much what I've come up with above ... the ONLY choice is to tax the MH and come back to the UK BEFORE the MOT is due but I suspect this is NOT what the OP wants to hear.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
what you are proposing is certainly not legal. as the vehicle has been technically exported to Spain (over 6 months) then you should get a local registration and MOT test equivalent BEFORE travelling

vehicles driven without tax and MOT are routinely seized at the ferry ports. driving a vehicle that has been declared SORN on the road is a seperate offence. There used to be a garage in the costas that would do a uk MOT test and the certificate issued by their uk garage. this would allow you to tax the van and stay legalish

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
This is what I'm thinking, I have been away for over a year and the MH has been parked on my Drive, Sorned but the MOT expired ,so I book the MOT do the Journey Southern Spain - Folkstone straight to MOT station I am then legal all the way through.

If you have been away that long you have illegally sorn it. You should have exported it. The sorn is for vehicle off road in uk. BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Basically if I understand this correctly, you appear to have 'broken' the UK and Spanish Law already by being away for over a year (I am assuming at your home in Spain) and not registering your vehicle there - I certainly would NOT like to try to submit an insurance claim if anything happened as you may find that you have invalidated it but that is between you and your insurers/the policy details/and what you've told them!

Pretty much what I've come up with above ... the ONLY choice is to tax the MH and come back to the UK BEFORE the MOT is due but I suspect this is NOT what the OP wants to hear.

Would be cheaper to reg vehicle in Spain and ITV it...BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Cheaper ! :LOL::LOL::LOL: Not a chance !

It will be if he gets fined..About £400 to pay some one to do it for you. If he lives in Spain and vehicle is out of UK for over 6 months its a legality...BUSBY.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Having read this thread from start to finish (or the thread from thread??? to needle) I think I've now got a grasp of the situation.
Littlewheels has a 'van that was less than three years old and took it to Spain.
At some point he/she decided to SORN it so that he/she wasn't paying Tax on it.
After a while the vehicle needed an MOT
First offence SORN on a vehicle outside the UK
He has vehicle in Spain for more than 6mths
Offence 2. Not reregistering in Spain
He then needs to MOT vehicle because its three years old and in order to get tax on vehicle it has to be MOT'ed, so,
As soon as it leaves his house in Spain .
Offence No 3+No Insurance Spain then France? (Not up on French law)
No MOT
Offence 4+ No Mot Spain France (As above)
Gets off means of transport Channel
Offence 5 No UK Tax.
Offence 6 No MOT

If I've got the above right it may be that CWH's suggestion of throwing yourself on the mercy of ???? (I don't know) but I can tell you that no one in authority in the UK is going to give the green light to the commision of offences, either here or abroad.
The onl legal way of avoiding all the offences, with the exception of the failure to register a vehicle in Spain and the SORNing of a vehicle when the vehicle is outside the UK (and they are only avoided because the Authorities wouldn't find out unless they were told, is to put the 'van onto a low loader.
Any other way and it could end in tears.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
no one in authority in the UK is going to give the green light to the commision of offences
Absolutely!
Therefore surely someone somewhere in authority can tell Littlewheels what they need to do to avoid committing further offences (if this is what's happened).
As somebody who always gets caught if I do anything wrong - even nicking a bit of cream off the trifle - I believe that as soon as I've found that I've made a mistake it's best to tell all and ask for help.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And when he gets caught, (not if), Big Bucks No Mot, Big Bucks No VEL, Big Bucks when he has to declare all the above to Insurance Co. on renewal.(and the next year, and the next, and the next, and the next )total of five years
Big Bucks all round.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
@Littlewheels, with all this doom & gloom I hope you've got somebody to hold your hand at where-ever-you-are!
Fellow Funsters are getting quite concerned on your behalf, so it would be good if you could please let us know if your situation's been correctly understood.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
By now Littlewheels is wondering what he/she has done to deserve this.
I'm NOT advocating him breaking the law but this is the best option (other than selling his soul to a low loader Co.)
He breaks the law and drives his rig back through Spain and France. Yes I know it's illegal. He should not travel through Spain on a Sunday. Why? Every time I have done, I have been stopped by the Guardia Civil. He gets back to a channel port and gets back to the UK.
He goes immediately to the closest MOT station he can find (and I mean the closest) he gets his MOT and he immediately Taxes it before he leaves the MOT station.
If he is subsequently challenged re this he either coughs the lot or says nothing and leaves it to those in authority in the UK to try and find the evidence.

Yes, he has broken who knows how many laws in how many countries BUT he has done what could reasonably be asked of him.
I doubt the English authorities have the means to discover how he got to Calais/Portsmouth etc but it can be seen that as soon as he landed he tried to extracate himself from his self imposed stupidity.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Little wheels.

We are all trying to understand what your situation is, exactly. Are you resident in Spain? Are you travelling for an extended period but not resident?

Any additional information could lead to further and, perhaps, more pertinent suggestions to help.

Good luck.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
If little wheels is going to run the gauntlet through Spain and France, then the last thing he should do is tell everyone on here that he's going to do it.
Just saying

Neil

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If little wheels is going to run the gauntlet through Spain and France, then the last thing he should do is tell everyone on here that he's going to do it.
Just saying

Neil
Well he's gone very quiet so perhaps thinking the same

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The locals in This area with Polish or Lithuanian cars do this all the time and go for trips abroad every now and again to avoid being permanent residents.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Be cheaper to Spanish reg it. BUSBY.
But when he gets back to the UK , where he is obviously a resident, he will not be able to legally drive it as no Resident of any EU state can drive a foreign plated vehicle , with the exception of professional drivers & car hire employee's returning cross-boarder hired vehicles.
p.S. if he's a Spanish resident then he he can't be legally driving it here.
The locals in This area with Polish or Lithuanian cars do this all the time and go for trips abroad every now and again to avoid being permanent residents.

You can't as it is the vehicle that is subject to " cumulative" time & not the person. The person by leaving an EU state after 89 days & staying out for 1 day , effectively resets the clock as personal residency is consecutive( as opposed to fiscal residency which is cumulative)
A vehicle can only be used without replating in another EU state for 6 months in any calendar year. There are some exceptions but wouldn't apply to any other than students or someone doing cross-border work.

It will be if he gets fined..About £400 to pay some one to do it for you. If he lives in Spain and vehicle is out of UK for over 6 months its a legality...BUSBY.

It would only be about that amount if he has never registered on the 'padron' ( Equivalent to the electoral roll in UK )
You only get the vehicle 'import free' if the padron is the first registration & less than 30 days old. Otherwise it is taxed as a new vehicle & would be 4.1% tax on 56% of the new vehicle value ( that's spanish governments value , as adjusted yearly) .& also assuming there is a CoC . otherwise there's more expense.
Additionally he would struggle to get it re-plated as a non-resident, regardless of the rules stating that it is possible.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
also dont get into the trap of thinking you wont get caught, its a certainty. a police or customs officer dosent need to stop the vehicle for checks. the modern system of ANPR cameras everywhere will catch the offences within seconds. fines will be sent in the post.
if it happens at a port of entry/exit the vehicle is likely to be seized by the border force or hmrc. really it is an unwinnable situation to try and enter the uk with an illegal vehicle.

as already said, you need to make it legal local to where it is

i know its slightly different, but this is why you need temporary export plates to import a van from germany. @Littlewheels has certainly caused themselves a lot of hassle and expense by not knowing the relevant laws

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Where is Littlewheels,,,very quiet. BUSBY...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
also dont get into the trap of thinking you wont get caught, its a certainty. a police or customs officer dosent need to stop the vehicle for checks. the modern system of ANPR cameras everywhere will catch the offences within seconds. fines will be sent in the post.
if it happens at a port of entry/exit the vehicle is likely to be seized by the border force or hmrc. really it is an unwinnable situation to try and enter the uk with an illegal vehicle.

I know you say that about the apnr but as I posted on another thread my nephew had his car serviced & mot'd in september 2013.In february last year drove down to look after my house using the euro tunnel as he had the dog with him. saturday after Easter drove back using tunnel again & then ran around in Essex where he lives until the end of the month when he went on line to renew tax. Up popped " This vehicle has no mot " :LOL::LOL:

The tester at his friends garage had failed to enter the mot details when he did it. So theoretically he'd been running around without an mot for over 7 months. Not received a bloater, nothing. He even lives quite close to the Essex police interceptor depot.:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It 'believe' it is normally tax and insurance that they are interested in checking and the MOT status is possibly only looked at when a vehicle has already been stopped as AFAIK this doesn't incur any points on your licences etc as the others can. Not sure exactly what it checks for but I suspect this is the 'reality' of it. So the no-tax issue is the major one to get sorted I would think, but to be safe taxising it now whilst it is still under 3 years old and coming back to the UK BEFORE the MOT is due would be the best course of action - and legal for a UK registered vehicle!

The ONLY fly in this ointment is if the vehicle is already OVER 3 years old as we are all guessing at the moment with no further input from the OP!

... to quote a phrase from Dirty Harry ... "Do you feel lucky punk?" ...

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
They use their cars to go home for visits as it is cheaper and they probably need an MOT from Poland etc.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Absolutely!
Therefore surely someone somewhere in authority can tell Littlewheels what they need to do to avoid committing further offences (if this is what's happened).
As somebody who always gets caught if I do anything wrong - even nicking a bit of cream off the trifle - I believe that as soon as I've found that I've made a mistake it's best to tell all and ask for help.

Me too...err:pinocchio:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
:LOL::LOL::LOL:
... but if I don't, then get caught, it gets worse. I'm not a very good blagger. :(

Me neither CW, but I went on a course........................................:D

Reactions: CWH

ASel

Free Member
Oct 23, 2013
Gretna
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My friend who keeps his MH in the south of France for most of the year has twice had the MOT expire when abroad. He pre-booked an MOT in Surrey and got the ferry to Dover, no problems encountered.

I doubt that the French or Spanish police check MOT and Tax status and unless you do something stupid they are unlikely to stop you.

Continental cameras are not connected to DVLA database, they have to make manual requests for info so do not bother unless serious offence committed.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Bertie,
I've met loads of people who have done the course.
Trouble is, they never passed the test at the end of it:angel:.

You've obviously never met any of our current crop of MP's then, they blag every day............................. very successfully.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back