MOT spain

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by parknride, Dec 20, 2015.

1. parknride

parknride Funster

Hoping to get on the road in Feb after delayed plans to Spain, thing is MOT is due Mid March. Is it possible to get a legit MOT in the Denia/benicassim/Guardamar area? Its a Peugeot Boxer. Thanks for any help.

2. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

There is no way to get a legit MOT in Spain. You can get a 'voluntary' ITV (Spanish MOT) but that is not recognised by VOSA in UK. Take your MH for an MOT before leaving UK. You might loose a month or so of the present MOT but you will continue to be 'legal' whilst abroad.

• Like Like x 5
  3. parknride

parknride Funster

Thanks @Flamenca thought this might be the case! Means losing about 5 weeks MOT or coming back early. We won't be coming back early.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

as Chris said..

also

An MOT can be carried out up to one calendar month prior to the expiry date of your existing MOT certificate, whilst still preserving the anniversary of the expiry date.

Earliest date you can get an MOT
    An MOT lasts for a year. The date it runs out is printed on the last pass certificate.

You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  5. TerryL

TerryL Funster

No brainer, get it done now - you've only lost £2.88! :)xeek:Unless of course it fails on something serious:xeek:)

• Like Like x 4
  6. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

BUT... !!!! If you do check the dates.. As per my previous thread, the MOT computer has a problem and if your van has a Cherished number plate it may throw a wobbly and may just end 12 months from when the MOT is done..
    As you say to loose 5 weeks is still better than delaying the trip..

Spanish MOT is only worth the cash given to MOT station / Spanish government has no legal standing at all..

• Like Like x 2
  7. maxi77

maxi77 Funster

I have been told that people have got away with having an MOT booked at a garage very close to the ferry terminal on their return, but I am not sure I would trust that. Our last van had an MOT date when we expected to be abroad and we just bit the bullet and did it before we left.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

If your MOT runs out whilst abroad, in the event of an accident, try telling your Insurance Company that you were going to get it done when you got home. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 11
  9. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Wondered when this old favourite would appear again, had my MOT done 5 months earlier than when it was due before we went to Spain. It's what I call a genuine no brainer.

• Like Like x 5
  10. jumartoo

jumartoo Funster

We bought Spanish vehicles and lost some months ITV (MOT equivalent) on all of them to be able to test them in the months we are in Spain. You only have to do it once, and lose weeks or months, and then you are back in sinc. It's definitely worth it to keep legal.

• Like Like x 2
  11. jonsea

jonsea Funster

Hi mikeco done mine the same as you no brainer john

• Like Like x 1
  12. barista

barista Funster

Yeah, can't quite see what the problem is here. Mine's due end of March but I'm having it done this week before I go. Simples.

• Like Like x 1
  13. parknride

parknride Funster

Thanks very much all. Didn't realise you could keep the original renewal date by having MOT done early. No special number plates so should be straightforward. Not envisaging any reason for it to fail, only 2nd MOT (oh god, hope i havent jinxed it) Now, just have to let MIL we are going.

• Like Like x 1
  14. parknride

parknride Funster

No problem here, its just never fallen due awkwardly and I must have dreamt it but thought I read somewhere that there were places you could them done while away. :)

15. Phill D

Phill D

early mot is simple answer as many have said above.

you only keep the original renewal date if the mot is carried out within 1 month of expiry..

A snipit of information off at a slight tangent but worth a mental note for future.
    I found out the other day ( taking sons car for mot early ) that since the mot system has gone " computorised"!!!! once you have a new mot inspection the old mot is no longer valid,
    e.g. say you had a month left on the old mot and the vehicle failed then the old mot is no longer valid and the vehicle has to be retested and pass to have a valid mot. you do not have a month left to drive around...

16. barista

barista Funster

The MOT is a British thing but I too have heard that they can be obtained for a couple of hundred euros. I suppose false documents of many types are available for the criminal fraternity though.

17. parknride

parknride Funster

Wouldn't knowingly waste time and money and whatever else on false docs and criminals :mask:

• Like Like x 1
  18. barista

barista Funster

I heard this recently too but I don't think it is correct. I took advice recently when my previous toad was failed incorrectly and actually had my fee reimbursed by the Merc dealer who had subcontracted the test.

19. barista

barista Funster

No and certainly wasn't suggesting that parknride

• Like Like x 1
  20. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

Nobody should go down that route. The documents are not forgeries but they are illegally produced, ie the people in Spain have contacts with dodgy MOT examiners in UK. I believe there is a proposal to require MOT stations to have video cameras to prevent fraudulent MOT's.

• Like Like x 2