Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
We took our Burstner Viseo 2009 in for its MOT. It passed fine but the mechanic mentioned that 2.3 engines needed a fan belt change from this October. new ruling. He said he couldn't do it and didn't know who could and reckoned it could cost around £1000.

Any help or advice from funsters?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Fan belt or cam belt?

Should be service item not MOT.

Martin

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I think you need to get the facts correct as nothing you said makes sense.

My advice would be use a different garage

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think you need to get the facts correct as nothing you said makes sense.

My advice would be use a different garage

Agreed, why would it be compulsory to change an item in October which may easily see 100000 miles.
And £1000 to change a belt.....but he cant replace it and knows of nobody who can.....he's avin a larrf.

Ah, just worked it out.....you were talking to the tea boy.

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
As part of a diesel MoT test its our responsability to check and ask question about the vehicles service history especialy Cam Belt changes and if done on time
It would show up on the system its registration date and I suggest he pointed out that it was it,s 5th birthday coming up and your Cam Belt would be due then, he seems way out on cost unless he was a main agent fitter in previous life.
Dont panick get a quote or two and ask for water pump check if its also driven by the cambelt
I have no link to my data at the mo as im mobile, I dont even know if this reply will get through as web is very hit and miss here
Geo

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
I may have got some of the facts wrong. I'll ask my partner to dictate the truth! It's a good garage and a good mechanic. I'm sure it was a new ruling on our particular model.

But thanks all.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As part of a diesel MoT test its our responsability to check and ask question about the vehicles service history especialy Cam Belt changes and if done on time
It would show up on the system its registration date and I suggest he pointed out that it was it,s 5th birthday coming up and your Cam Belt would be due then, he seems way out on cost unless he was a main agent fitter in previous life.
Dont panick get a quote or two and ask for water pump check if its also driven by the cambelt
I have no link to my data at the mo as im mobile, I dont even know if this reply will get through as web is very hit and miss here
Geo

very true Geo.....but he knows about a NEW RULING that nobody else knows about

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
If your van is Fiat/ Peugeot based, the 2009 vehicle would have a chain drive camshaft.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Or in Nottinghamshire, 2 sheep, 4 goats, a gross of ducks eggs and a quart of Cider, a lot less in Derbyshire...

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
If your van is Fiat/ Peugeot based, the 2009 vehicle would have a chain drive camshaft.

Shoot me if I'm wrong but I believe only the 3 litre has a chain

Im shooting from the Hip,,,,

The 2.3 has a cam belt although some do have chain 2.2 and the 3.0 is chain.

just because it's registered in 2009 doesn't mean it was built then quite possibly a 2007-8 van. June says she trusts her garage, perhaps she just misunderstood what was said. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Im shooting from the Hip,,,,

The 2.3 has a cam belt although some do have chain 2.2 and the 3.0 is chain.

just because it's registered in 2009 doesn't mean it was built then quite possibly a 2007-8 van. [HI]June says she trusts her garage, [/HI]perhaps she just misunderstood what was said. :thumb:

would you trust a mechanic who said he cant change it and knows nobody who can.

I changed mine in our drive :RollEyes:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Shoot me if I'm wrong but I believe only the 3 litre has a chain
2.3 near the bottom!
CA_06081418212394-X2.jpg

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Geo

So if my van is over 5 years old and I came to you for its MOT and you asked for cam belt change evidence and I replied yes mate I did 2 months ago myself
Your reply would be ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have a 07 peugot based van 2.2 but it is the 06 model engine when we got it I wanted to change the cambelt but went to various garages to get a quote and they all said it was a chain by getting on the computer to peugot so couldn't quote and none of them would believe it was a belt till I showed them, so in the end we did it ourselves for about 30 quid for the belt , if they don't even know what it's got how can you trust them to do anything about it:Doh:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We have a 07 peugot based van 2.2 but it is the 06 model engine when we got it I wanted to change the cambelt but went to various garages to get a quote and they all said it was a chain by getting on the computer to peugot so couldn't quote and none of them would believe it was a belt till I showed them, so in the end we did it ourselves for about 30 quid for the belt , if they don't even know what it's got how can you trust them to do anything about it:Doh:

Looking at your cab it is a pre x250 2.2 which is as you know a belt.As Paul pointed out the later 2.2 does have a chain drive like the 3 litre :thumb:
The 2.3 has a chain drive between the double overhead cams but the main drive is a belt.

EDIT 06 is the year the x250 was introduced but they should have known from the chassis number that yours was not a 250

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes that is what the service schedule says
Capture%202.3-L.png

It also says replace every 5 yrs regardless of mileage.
Like Geo said it's not PANIC STATIONS get a couple of quotes

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Looking at your cab it is a pre x250 2.2 which is as you know a belt.As Paul pointed out the later 2.2 does have a chain drive like the 3 litre :thumb:
The 2.3 has a chain drive between the double overhead cams but the main drive is a belt.

EDIT 06 is the year the x250 was introduced but they should have known from the chassis number that yours was not a 250

Yes I know this but couldn't get any garage to come up with a belt for my van even giving them the reg number and the vin number , they just wouldn't believe it had a belt even though you could see it and even peugot computer says it has a chain, if geo or someone else has access to the computer records I am quite willing to give you the number

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
So if my van is over 5 years old and I came to you for its MOT and you asked for cam belt change evidence and I replied yes mate I did 2 months ago myself
Your reply would be ?

It's not like that nor an MOT failure. It's a service for your benefit to protect your investment.

I imagine the new rule if at all refers to giving the customer this information.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes I know this but couldn't get any garage to come up with a belt for my van even giving them the reg number and the vin number , they just wouldn't believe it had a belt even though you could see it and even peugot computer says it has a chain, if geo or someone else has access to the computer records I am quite willing to give you the number

I've heard elsewhere that Peugeot have a very bad reputation for changing parts suppliers and specs regularly and that their computer systems just don't keep up making sourcing the right spares a regular nightmare.

Tim

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I've heard elsewhere that Peugeot have a very bad reputation for changing parts suppliers and specs regularly and that their computer systems just don't keep up making sourcing the right spares a regular nightmare.

Tim

If anyone has an 07 peugot based van and not very mechanical minded and have been told you don't need a cambelt change because you have a chain from a garage even a peugot one , I would strongly advise going to an independent and showing them under the bonnet and asking if it has a belt, don't trust computers.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Your reply would be ?

You are trying to say what:RollEyes:

I would be happy to test it on your say so
The s**t hits the fan if the belt breaks whilst being tested, and you claim damage is my fault I will then ask for written documented proof of all serving and cam belt changes during the life of the vehicle before telling you what to do with your claim if you cant produce it:winky:

Diy Servicing and repairs cant be proven, can they ??

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No they can't GEO
Anyone servicing their own vehicle should do so with knowledge it may impact on resale value. I keep all receipts for parts and a diary. The last van I sold only had 24k on the clock so the buyer was happy with sold as seen.
By the time I sell this van I won't care as I'll have worn it out :roflmto:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp

The s**t hits the fan if the belt breaks whilst being tested, and you claim damage is my fault I will then ask for written documented proof of all serving and cam belt changes during the life of the vehicle before telling you what to do with your claim if you cant produce it:winky:

Thanks I thought for a moment that if I did my own maintaince that it would be refused a mot

I can see in a few years time all home maintaince being banned
I am a fitter by trade but on heavy plant so I do know what I am doing but even now as things get more complicated on engines I tend to leave well alone too much to go wrong but such as belts and service no problem

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9

Thanks I thought for a moment that if I did my own maintaince that it would be refused a mot

I can see in a few years time all home maintaince being banned
I am a fitter by trade but on heavy plant so I do know what I am doing but even now as things get more complicated on engines I tend to leave well alone too much to go wrong but such as belts and service no problem

I think it's a reasonable question so let me put it another way and remove the personalisation...

If I took my van/car to the mot and the geezer said when was the belt changed on your 1986 cortina and I said, never Guv don't believe in all that crap, could I be refused an MOT?

When will it lead to the Merc with the 200000 miles without a clutch being changed. And also I've seen sales rep cars cover 150k plus before an MOT is due without a cambelt change are they now dangerous?

I think the MOT business is past it's sell by date and needs a massive overhaul :RollEyes:

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I think it's a reasonable question so let me put it another way and remove the personalisation...

If I took my van/car to the mot and the geezer said when was the belt changed on your 1986 cortina and I said, never Guv don't believe in all that crap, could I be refused an MOT?

When will it lead to the Merc with the 200000 miles without a clutch being changed. And also I've seen sales rep cars cover 150k plus before an MOT is due without a cambelt change are they now dangerous?

I think the MOT business is past it's sell by date and needs a massive overhaul :RollEyes:

I think it is also reasonable for a MOT inspector to ensure the vehicle is in a fit condition to be MOT 'ed if the manufacturers of the vehicle specify a mileage or time based period for the changing of a timing belt then most people would do that for their own safety and to safeguard their investment. If the owner states the belt is in a fit condition then the test would be carried out - if the belt then fails in test then it is the owner responsibility and if he wishes to try and make a claim it would be against the person who changed the belt not the MOT station.

As far as the MOT business being past its sell by date it is being overhauled on a very regular basis and more and more restrictions are being bought in for your safety. I only see a few of the many problems MOT testers see but if it were not for the MOT there would be some horrible avoidable accidents bought about by people who through ignorance or neglect allow their vehicle to get into a highly dangerous state.

If EEC were allowed to dictate what went on the MOT you would be changing your vehicle for a new one every 5 years and the old one would be scrap value only. Be careful what you wish for - you may just get it :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back