skinnyhead

Free Member
Jul 24, 2011
waterlooville
Funster No
MH
aclass
Exp
Boris has just failed his MOT on left hand idler arm joint lift among other odds and s..ds.Can anyone confirm that a small amount of play is permissible on this joint?It is a 2005 workhose chassis.:Sad:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
The amount of play, unfortunatly, is more or less decided by the tester, if you dissagree, you obviously have the right to appeal, or you could just take it to another garage, maybe for a "pre MOT" to see if they would fail the joint, but, IMHO, if someone has pointed out that you have a safety critical part on your vehicle that is in a suspect state, I would err on the side of caution, and change it...probably the quickest and cheapest option anyway:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I agree with you on that

The amount of play, unfortunatly, is more or less decided by the tester, if you dissagree, you obviously have the right to appeal, or you could just take it to another garage, maybe for a "pre MOT" to see if they would fail the joint, but, IMHO, if someone has pointed out that you have a safety critical part on your vehicle that is in a suspect state, I would err on the side of caution, and change it...probably the quickest and cheapest option anyway:thumb:

If I ever have a part that is slightly iffy then it is changed... never had an advisory.. I have a pre MOT and make sure it is going to pass. Down in Kent I use a main Renault Truck garage, they put the RV through a buy in test and that is 8 pages of checked items.. then it goes to a Mercedes main truck repair and service workshop in Eastbourne for the MOT proper. I know the vehicle is safe then to drive.. not worth the risk... just get the new part and fit it and re MOT.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Your tester should be working within the testers manual very little opinion is reqd
without hands on, no one can give you a valid answer

Relative movement due to excessive wear MUST be distinguished from relative movement due to built-in clearance or spring loading of a joint.

Play in ball joints or pivot points must not be regarded as excessive unless it is clear that replacement, repair or adjustment of the component is necessary.
Geo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry cant really help with your question but....

the testers decision is final, unless you appeal and get lucky, and it is now on the MOT database as a fail.

as an aside, my Ford F53 chassis passed last year with a little lateral play in the N/S kingpin...the tester said it was no where near a fail condition but it was listed as an advisory so is now on record.

Last edited:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Chevy Idler arms have play in them from the factory.....however aftermarket replacements don't......I found this out when I complained to a chevy dealer in the states that my six month old truck that I had from had excessive play in the steering idler :Blush: I was very red faced when he put a new truck on the lift and it had the same play in the idler.

That truck was a 96.

In answer to your question you may well be best just changing it for an aftermarket one.

All the best Rick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back