MOT for large van South Cumbria

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by barrywi, Jun 25, 2014.

1. barrywi

barrywi Read Only Funster

Looking for an MOT station near Grange over Sands that can cope with our Autocruise Gleneagle , 7.5 metres long and 4000 plus Kg. Under 3 metres high.

2. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Have you tried garages operated by public bodies? Fire,Ambulance,local authorities Water companies and BT. Or a contract garage that does minbuses and coaches.

3. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Sorry, not answering your request directly but if you fancy a trip to Carlisle, Howatt’s garage, about a mile from the M6 Jct’s 42 or 43 do our mot’s/servicing. They have room for American RV’s and the owner has a converted library van. No connection other than a satisfied customer.

4. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

One I use in Kendal is Ullswater Road Garage:

http://www.yell.com/biz/ullswater-road-garage-kendal-2400462/

Nice friendly people & can usually fit you in quickly if needed. My MH is only just over 6M but they take large commercials.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Just noticed your dogs - we share interests and pets: I have Greyhound boy & Whippet girl :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. barrywi

barrywi Read Only Funster

That looks close enough thanks, I will give them a ring tomorrow when we get home. All the locals i have tried cant cope with either the wheelbase or height. I need some advice from them also before the test re the condition of the tyres on our van. Usual micro cracks on sidewalls. I think I may get away with buying just two tyres soon.
    Thanks again everybody

7. Serendipitous

Serendipitous Funster

Well worth seeking out your local council test station. I've used the local council highways test station the last 2 years.

No vested interest in doing any work so assured of a fair MOT (no offence but not all garages are saints)

only charged £40 for the test they also have useful opening hours. Last MOT was done at 07:30 in the morning done and dusted on the way to work (well almost)

They tend to be well hidden on the council websites but would expect most of the local taxi firms to know where the nearest is.

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i too use the council depot for my RV.......unfortunately Scarborough council are too tight to have their own MOT workshop so i have to travel 42 miles to Beverley.

If a public body (council etc) do MOT their own fleet they are obliged by law to provide the service to the public and as they dont undertake private repair work there is no incentive to fail something in the hope of getting work.

9. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Try "mile road garage", Moor lane, Flookburgh. Its the first one on the left.
    Its about a mile from me and can handle a van that big no problem.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014