MOT expiring before returning to UK (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I know I wouldn't cut short a visit to a warm, sundrenched location to go back to miserable, cold, damp Blighty to get a new MOT just because if I didn't, I might have a crash and the insurance company might want to check my certificate's date (online or otherwise).

But then... I drive in Spain barefoot and that is illegal too.

Just saying

JJ :cool:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I know I wouldn't cut short a visit to a warm, sundrenched location to go back to miserable, cold, damp Blighty to get a new MOT just because if I didn't, I might have a crash and the insurance company might want to check my certificate's date (online or otherwise).
But then... I drive in Spain barefoot and that is illegal too.
Just saying

Oh dear I'd better confess, last month I drove to Spain and back without fitting beam deflectors:eek:

Reactions: JJ

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I live in the most camered city and went 4 months over on my mot. Despite being in and out of the city and canry wharf no one picked it up
Rest assured it would have been picked up by every anpr camera you passed. It's just not as high a priority as intelligence/crime/no insurance ..

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We were expecting to return to the UK a week before the MOT runs out April 12th, but change of plan and won't be getting back until end of April, I can renew the tax and insurance 1st April, how do I stand about the MOT, should I book it in now for a test at my local garage? Hellllllllp

been peeping on here over the last couple of days, I have no idea what your personal reasons are for not coming home when originally planned, but can you not just come home a week earlier than the new plan, or as suggested, just get it done before you go

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Just to make it clear that I am an honest upright citizen that follows all laws, rules and regulations wherever I am the vehicle that I now own has had 3 MOT tests in 12 months.

The first when it was due in Oct 15, again when I bought it(by the dealer) in Dec 15 and again in Aug this year in order to align the expiry date to my long visit to the UK, I think there is a good chance that it may also still be roadworthy:)
I also have black stickers on my headlight covers so now have beam deflectors on a vehicle for the first time in 25 years:)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As others have said.. Just get it done now.. So you loose a few months.. no biggy really :)
And if you get it done now ( start of the quiet season ) you will have no worries further down the years..

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
And you'll have the additional peace of mind that your vehicle has been checked and is okay for your trip.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
And you'll have the additional peace of mind that your vehicle has been checked and is okay for your trip.
To late he's already over there he's gonna have to come home earlier than he wants to.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
He's not posted since starting the thread bit embarrassed I expect

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
and Mr BB, I should confess I bank with Barclays... :(

So does my wife. They were able to open her an account without seeing her, knowing she didn't live in the Uk & using a postal address. :LOL:

& with the op it was plainly made clear in the opening post that he was already away & due to the change of plan was now not returning until over 2 weeks later than planned.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So does my wife. They were able to open her an account without seeing her, knowing she didn't live in the Uk & using a postal address. :LOL:

& with the op it was plainly made clear in the opening post that he was already away & due to the change of plan was now not returning until over 2 weeks later than planned.
... not totally ... it was a bit confusing when reference was made to getting it done at his local garage now ... it easily made it appear he was still IN the UK ... it was only when I searched out his old posting that I realised he definitely was already abroad.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Just had my mot done as we're not certain when we want to come back home.
Our van is only 2.5 years old.

A family friend was awarded just under two million £ wouldn't be worth not being legal in my opinion.

But that's my choice.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
There seems to be a simple answer - change your plans again and get back in time

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
well they might not today .
but in 2007 my truck was hit badly in quateria portugal. i could get it home and did . but mot etc had to be sent to insurers . saga it was . i couldnt as my truck is mot exempt . at first it was a problem , but as it moved up inside their office it was ok. they sorted every thing . a solicitor etyc in portugal ,the repairs here in uk and no problems for me .
but i did have several conversations with them . they jumped at first and many of their staff didnt know some vehicles are exempt . if i hadnt been exempt they would not have repaired my vehicle or helped sort the portugese trouble .
i was hit by a drunk driver who stopped then drove off .
while searching scrap yards on the algarve one of the scrapyard staff told me to go to the main dealers for mitsubishi in faro. i did . and found the cat that hit mine . with paint scars and ,i had the rear window of the vehicle that hit me . with its reg number etched on the glass .
the portugese police were very helpful and understood about mot exemptions .
i,m glad i was legal .
but no mot would have meant impounding my truck in portugal . fined and possibly trouble in uk.
best op gets an early mot and then be safe , better than sorry.
out of interest why is your motor exempt?

Deleted User

I am sure vwalan will be along shortly to explore the ins and outs but basically it is because his vehicle is registered as a 'Living Van''

He has explained how this is defined before but I do not fully understand why it is a living van......could be due to the amount of 'get me out of the **** equipment that he carries:)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the trailer is a living van . the truck forms part of an articulated combination and used only for drawing trailers in specified class.
also cannot be used for carrying a load on the back.
dont even need to fill in the exemption forn now to tax it . it comes up on the computer at the post office . i do fill one out and get it stamped as a kind of proof for abroad.
as to be kept up to scratch ,you dont get away with anything if stopped on the road checks etc .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I am sure vwalan will be along shortly to explore the ins and outs but basically it is because his vehicle is registered as a 'Living Van''

He has explained how this is defined before but I do not fully understand why it is a living van......could be due to the amount of 'get me out of the **** equipment that he carries:)
i have said before . if you carry m,bikes ,push bikes or other items not directly involved in the use of a caravan or motor home it changes the ctegory to living van .
i had to voluntary lower the gvw of my trailer to meet the required specs . my truck is a motor tractor .
luckily the trailer is articulated as it imposes at least 20%of its loaded weight onto the towing vehicle .actually it puts more than 50%of it weight .
many vehicles are running around with wrong mots ,insurance etc, one day it might be swoop day and lots could be in trouble .
carrying bikes etc on racks or platforms out the back dont make it a living van , its only if you have them inside . it comes back to having a load area etc . its not a new idea remember years ago stock car lads got stopped from carrying cars in converted coaches etc . all the same rules .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
the trailer is a living van . the truck forms part of an articulated combination and used only for drawing trailers in specified class.
also cannot be used for carrying a load on the back.
dont even need to fill in the exemption forn now to tax it . it comes up on the computer at the post office . i do fill one out and get it stamped as a kind of proof for abroad.
as to be kept up to scratch ,you dont get away with anything if stopped on the road checks etc .

Out of interest if you were stopped for a check and they found something wrong that would usually be an MOT failure what happens?

Is it just a fine or can they take the truck off the road?

I'm sure your truck is properly maintained so it wouldn't happen to you but just say they did find something?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
depends what they find . could be pg9,d . might be allowed to carry on or might not.
i hope i look after mine ok. dont think going where i take the truck would be wise if not maintained.
i have had a few vehicle checks over the years and so far they have been happy.
in portugal when it got hit by a drunk driver it went to the gnr workshops for a check and permission to drive home . was given a letter explaining why it had no front headlight on one side but only to be driven during day light hours .
mind even with an mot vehicles can be took off the road if they have faults at road side checks .

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You can be
Out of interest if you were stopped for a check and they found something wrong that would usually be an MOT failure what happens?

Is it just a fine or can they take the truck off the road?

I'm sure your truck is properly maintained so it wouldn't happen to you but just say they did find something?
Your question is very easy to answer Nick(y) Both:Eeek: here's a 197 page document of what they can PG9 you for, makes for good bed time reading :rolleyes:
Even a simple oil leak can get you prohibited and forced to re MoT your vehicle evn though oils leaks are not part of an MoT
Geo
Link Removed

OP
OP
alanalmoff

alanalmoff

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
March
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2001
Thanks for all your replys, I guess that the answer is to re turn to the UK, get the MOT and then back to Spain, or to take a chance, book the MH in for a MOT in Dover on the day of our return, I,am feeling throughly p---- d, it's all so the son and family can get a few days holiday with us in Benni, sorry for late replys but not on line much of the time, Alan
PS having read up all the replys, I did'nt think there was so many miserable b------s that belong to MHF, ( not all, they are a minority)) must spend hours trolling the net,

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back