MOT expiring before returning to UK

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by alanalmoff, Oct 15, 2016.

1. alanalmoff

alanalmoff Funster

We were expecting to return to the UK a week before the MOT runs out April 12th, but change of plan and won't be getting back until end of April, I can renew the tax and insurance 1st April, how do I stand about the MOT, should I book it in now for a test at my local garage? Hellllllllp

Attached Files:

2. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

• Like Like x 1
  3. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Get the MOT done now?

• Like Like x 3
  4. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

I would tax and insure April 1 and book MOT for the first day possible

5. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

It won't be a problem just enjoy your changed plans,
    However if you have a prang and need to claim don't moan if your insurance spots that you have no MOT and decide not to pay out .
    Life is full of choices,you decide .

Vlad

• Like Like x 2
  6. lorger

lorger Funster

Watching one of the police programmes on to a couple of weeks ago and they stopped a young couple in a camper who's MOT had ran out. The officer who I thought was rather nice asked them if they could call a garage and book it in for that day, they did so and even though the garage was in their home town over 200 miles away.

• Like Like x 1
  7. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Where are you now? UK or abroad?

Testing abroad doesn't appear to be an option - it has to be done in the UK, so if you're still here, why not just re-test early and change the test renewal date?

According to the official website at https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/when-to-get-an-mot

"Earliest date you can get an MOT

An MOT lasts for a year. The date it runs out is printed on the last pass certificate.

You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.

Example
    If your MOT runs out on 15 May, the earliest you can get an MOT to keep the same renewal date for next year is 16 April.

You can get an MOT earlier, but the MOT renewal date for the following year will be different."

8. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

As a footnote I had an odd situation with my last MH MoT in that it passed the test but the centre forgot to issue the paperwork and I didn't check when I picked it up. It didn't go on the VoSA computer so technically I had no MoT and was uninsured for four weeks or so until I discovered their error. Fortunately the MH was in storage the whole time.

• Like Like x 2
  9. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Also, adding to the above, once you have the test booked you are permitted to drive it to the test and back home again if it fails.

This is within reason. You cannot use it as justification to drive hundreds of miles.

To stay completely within the law you should book the test at a garage in whatever port you arrive at.

Of course the likelihood of getting caught might be pretty slim so it's your choice if you want to risk it. Lots of ANPR cameras about these days though. :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I assume you are in the UK so just get it done early before you go abroad, okay you'll lose some 'MOT' months but that's better than not being insured/legal etc.

EDIT:

If, as I now suspect having just seen your 'On our way to Benni' thread, you are already abroad you really ought to contact your insurance company and ask them what they advise you to do - you are supposed to be legal abroad as if you were in your own country so that means valid MOT, tax and insurance so not being MOTed might cause you problems. Better to see how your insurance stands with them then make an informed decision.

• Like Like x 2
  11. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    No Mot......no insurance?

I think the wording on policies is along the lines of 'roadworthy' no mention of MOT!

• Like Like x 2
  12. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

It's assumed to be not roadworthy if it doesn't have a current MOT.

Yes, I know the MOT doesn't guarantee that it is roadworthy. I didn't write the rules. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  13. TerryL

TerryL Funster

When the MoT runs out and you continue to drive, you will be illegal, whatever country you're in. To be legal when driving abroad your vehicle must comply with all the home country laws.

Had this situation a few years ago so had the MoT done at a date that would not clash with our touring plans, November. Lost 6 months but better that for peace of mind.

And with respect, please stay well away from me with your MoT-less vehicle - just in case..........

• Like Like x 2
  14. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Insurance companies are good at at selling a policy ,but great at not paying out on one !
    If they find out you don't have a current mot the chances are they will use it in their favour to avoid paying up .

Vlad

15. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    [QUOTE="NickNic, post: 2056697, member: 29692"]It's assumed to be not roadworthy if it doesn't have a current MOT.

Yes, I know the MOT doesn't guarantee that it is roadworthy. I didn't write the rules. (y)[/QUOTE]

If you say so:)

PS....thought you didn't like rules:)............conformist!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. vwalan

vwalan Funster

many vehicles dont need an mot . pre 1960,s +at least 40,000 others are exempt. never mind upto 3 year old ones .
    my insurance says if regulations require an mot .
    not sure what an mot is .

17. Badknee

Badknee Funster

We decided to move our MOT date to August because we are most likely to be home as the schools will be shut and the whole of Europe is flooded with kids.

Just sayin............:imoutahere:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Bart

Bart Funster

@alanalmoff if the pic in your avatar is you mh . I know I would not drive it without mot / insurance as 1 it's to lovely and expensive
    2. Way to many ANPR cameras in the UK now..

19. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

20. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Same happened to my nephew. Had his car done in september 2013. It wasn't until He went to re tax it in April 2014 that it came to light. He driven all over in the UK & came down here to house sit for me in February Until early april. Anpr isn't a lot of use in the UK is it ? :LOL: Nor a lot of use when you live on top of the Essex interceptors base.:D

• Informative Informative x 1