MOT expiring before returning to UK (1 Viewer)

alanalmoff

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
March
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2001
We were expecting to return to the UK a week before the MOT runs out April 12th, but change of plan and won't be getting back until end of April, I can renew the tax and insurance 1st April, how do I stand about the MOT, should I book it in now for a test at my local garage? Hellllllllp

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    360.5 KB · Views: 55
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I suspect that your insurance might be invalid or at least cause complications in the unlikely event of an incident...
Broken Link Removed

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

I would tax and insure April 1 and book MOT for the first day possible

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
It won't be a problem just enjoy your changed plans,
However if you have a prang and need to claim don't moan if your insurance spots that you have no MOT and decide not to pay out .
Life is full of choices,you decide .

Vlad

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Watching one of the police programmes on to a couple of weeks ago and they stopped a young couple in a camper who's MOT had ran out. The officer who I thought was rather nice asked them if they could call a garage and book it in for that day, they did so and even though the garage was in their home town over 200 miles away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Where are you now? UK or abroad?

Testing abroad doesn't appear to be an option - it has to be done in the UK, so if you're still here, why not just re-test early and change the test renewal date?

According to the official website at https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/when-to-get-an-mot

"Earliest date you can get an MOT

An MOT lasts for a year. The date it runs out is printed on the last pass certificate.

You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.

Example
If your MOT runs out on 15 May, the earliest you can get an MOT to keep the same renewal date for next year is 16 April.

You can get an MOT earlier, but the MOT renewal date for the following year will be different."

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As a footnote I had an odd situation with my last MH MoT in that it passed the test but the centre forgot to issue the paperwork and I didn't check when I picked it up. It didn't go on the VoSA computer so technically I had no MoT and was uninsured for four weeks or so until I discovered their error. Fortunately the MH was in storage the whole time.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Also, adding to the above, once you have the test booked you are permitted to drive it to the test and back home again if it fails.

This is within reason. You cannot use it as justification to drive hundreds of miles.

To stay completely within the law you should book the test at a garage in whatever port you arrive at.

Of course the likelihood of getting caught might be pretty slim so it's your choice if you want to risk it. Lots of ANPR cameras about these days though. :whistle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We were expecting to return to the UK a week before the MOT runs out April 12th, but change of plan and won't be getting back until end of April, I can renew the tax and insurance 1st April, how do I stand about the MOT, should I book it in now for a test at my local garage? Hellllllllp
I assume you are in the UK so just get it done early before you go abroad, okay you'll lose some 'MOT' months but that's better than not being insured/legal etc.

EDIT:

If, as I now suspect having just seen your 'On our way to Benni' thread, you are already abroad you really ought to contact your insurance company and ask them what they advise you to do - you are supposed to be legal abroad as if you were in your own country so that means valid MOT, tax and insurance so not being MOTed might cause you problems. Better to see how your insurance stands with them then make an informed decision.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No Mot......no insurance?

I think the wording on policies is along the lines of 'roadworthy' no mention of MOT!

It's assumed to be not roadworthy if it doesn't have a current MOT.

Yes, I know the MOT doesn't guarantee that it is roadworthy. I didn't write the rules. (y)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
When the MoT runs out and you continue to drive, you will be illegal, whatever country you're in. To be legal when driving abroad your vehicle must comply with all the home country laws.

Had this situation a few years ago so had the MoT done at a date that would not clash with our touring plans, November. Lost 6 months but better that for peace of mind.

And with respect, please stay well away from me with your MoT-less vehicle - just in case..........

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
No Mot......no insurance?

I think the wording on policies is along the lines of 'roadworthy' no mention of MOT!

Insurance companies are good at at selling a policy ,but great at not paying out on one !
If they find out you don't have a current mot the chances are they will use it in their favour to avoid paying up .

Vlad

Deleted User
[QUOTE="NickNic, post: 2056697, member: 29692"]It's assumed to be not roadworthy if it doesn't have a current MOT.

Yes, I know the MOT doesn't guarantee that it is roadworthy. I didn't write the rules. (y)[/QUOTE]

If you say so:)

PS....thought you didn't like rules:)............conformist!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
many vehicles dont need an mot . pre 1960,s +at least 40,000 others are exempt. never mind upto 3 year old ones .
my insurance says if regulations require an mot .
not sure what an mot is .

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We decided to move our MOT date to August because we are most likely to be home as the schools will be shut and the whole of Europe is flooded with kids.

Just sayin............:imoutahere:

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@alanalmoff if the pic in your avatar is you mh . I know I would not drive it without mot / insurance as 1 it's to lovely and expensive
2. Way to many ANPR cameras in the UK now..

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As a footnote I had an odd situation with my last MH MoT in that it passed the test but the centre forgot to issue the paperwork and I didn't check when I picked it up. It didn't go on the VoSA computer so technically I had no MoT and was uninsured for four weeks or so until I discovered their error. Fortunately the MH was in storage the whole time.

Same happened to my nephew. Had his car done in september 2013. It wasn't until He went to re tax it in April 2014 that it came to light. He driven all over in the UK & came down here to house sit for me in February Until early april. Anpr isn't a lot of use in the UK is it ? :LOL: Nor a lot of use when you live on top of the Essex interceptors base.:D

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I live in the most camered city and went 4 months over on my mot. Despite being in and out of the city and canry wharf no one picked it up

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I notice you e gone very quiet since your post and I'm not surprised since some of the responses offer Doom and Gloom.
I wouldn't worry unduly it happened to me and I was hung out to dry on here, I'm sure you could find it if you took the time.

I hadn't had a vehicle tested in decades as I never had any vehicle in excess of 3 years so it didn't even occur to me, the MOT ran out whilst on a long stay away, whilst it ran out I got pulled over by the " Policia Trafico" in Spain!! They checked my Documents took my V5 and made the checks it didn't flag up that the MOT had ran out, they sent me on my way. I myself at the time didn't even realize it had ran out.

My outward journey finished and my MH was off the road garaged, I had it Sorned, unfortunately I got ill and didn't recover for many months, then I advised my family in the U.K. to Tax the MH, at this point I couldn't Tax it as it had no MOT!! I was a victim of circumstances.

Like your goodself I asked on this Forum for guidance and wish I hadn't bothered I was hung out to dry.

I was still insured ( do they ask for your MOT when you claim? No) I booked the MH in for an MOT in the U.K. And guess what? I passed all the Cameras and made it to the MOT centre, it passed,I taxed it online at the Centre.

Get on with it, book it in for an MOT and stop worrying you've done all you can.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I notice you e gone very quiet since your post and I'm not surprised since some of the responses offer Doom and Gloom.
My outward journey finished and my MH was off the road garaged, I had it Sorned, unfortunately I got ill and didn't recover for many months, then I advised my family in the U.K. to Tax the MH, at this point I couldn't Tax it as it had no MOT!! I was a victim of circumstances.
Like your goodself I asked on this Forum for guidance and wish I hadn't bothered I was hung out to dry.
I was still insured ( do they ask for your MOT when you claim? No) I booked the MH in for an MOT in the U.K. And guess what? I passed all the Cameras and made it to the MOT centre, it passed,I taxed it online at the Centre.
Get on with it, book it in for an MOT and stop worrying you've done all you can.

I agree, sometimes you can worry too much, and it's the law-abiding that worry most.

There is a small problem with MOTs these days - anyone can check MOT status with the DVLA, you only need reg no and make of vehicle...........

Not giving advice but if I was in the same position I would book the MOT for the first date I was back in the UK. You've got to be really unlucky to have an accident in the missing week, I would not tell the insurance company, they'll only tell you to have your vehicle transported back to the UK......... which is an (expensive) option.........

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
All very well people saying don't worry about it the local od unlikely to notice or pull up. What if you write it off and your insurance refuse to pay any you are 50k up the swany. Is it worth the risk.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
( do they ask for your MOT when you claim? No)

That would depend on the value of the claim.

If it's £500 they probably won't bother.

If you managed to write off your 70 grand motorhome and someone elses 60 grand car then they will be doing all they can to wriggle out of paying out so in that situation then yes, they certainly would ask for it.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Some people get their knickers in a twist abiding by every single rule and regulation made by the powers to be who do all they can to control the masses... others don't.

There must be lots of folk on this forum who have made insurance claims.

Is it REALLY true that the insurance companies wanted to see your MOT certificate before dealing with your claim?

Just asking

JJ :cool:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Is it REALLY true that the insurance companies wanted to see your MOT certificate before dealing with your claim?

Just asking

I had to send it to them with all the rest of the documents, including the service history. It was a not my fault accident. When they got the documents I had a cheque within a week.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Some people get their knickers in a twist abiding by every single rule and regulation made by the powers to be who do all they can to control the masses... others don't.

There must be lots of folk on this forum who have made insurance claims.

Just asking

well they might not today .
but in 2007 my truck was hit badly in quateria portugal. i could get it home and did . but mot etc had to be sent to insurers . saga it was . i couldnt as my truck is mot exempt . at first it was a problem , but as it moved up inside their office it was ok. they sorted every thing . a solicitor etyc in portugal ,the repairs here in uk and no problems for me .
but i did have several conversations with them . they jumped at first and many of their staff didnt know some vehicles are exempt . if i hadnt been exempt they would not have repaired my vehicle or helped sort the portugese trouble .
i was hit by a drunk driver who stopped then drove off .
while searching scrap yards on the algarve one of the scrapyard staff told me to go to the main dealers for mitsubishi in faro. i did . and found the cat that hit mine . with paint scars and ,i had the rear window of the vehicle that hit me . with its reg number etched on the glass .
the portugese police were very helpful and understood about mot exemptions .
i,m glad i was legal .
but no mot would have meant impounding my truck in portugal . fined and possibly trouble in uk.
best op gets an early mot and then be safe , better than sorry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back