MOT every 2 Years!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Reading in the Sunday Times today, the government are considering changing the MOT intervals. 4 years for the first MOT then every 2 years. They say this reflects the reliability of modern vehicles and that technology has come a long way since the MOT regime was introduced. Arguments aside, I know a plenty of motorhomers who would appreciate not having to make the long and ever more expensive trip North to get an annual MOT:Smile:

• Like Like x 8
  2. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Its to get into line with Europe. They are trying to get a Euro MOT for all vehicles and you will be able to get an MOT in whichever country you are in that is accepted throughout Europe.

They are currently having UK vehicles tested in the Holland I believe and vive versa to compare the standards.

3. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

This has been kicking around for about 2 years now. Must be a bad news day for that paper.

I was asked to sign a petition regarding it a while ago when I took the van for an MOT. it appears its a Europe thing, but there is of course some grave concern from soe MOT inspectors that 2 years could potentially see a death trap on the road.

I am sure our own MOT inspector will have a comment and tell us what the latest is. :thumb:

4. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Just like us in France :BigGrin::Wink: Jim

Mel

5. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

I seem to remember "When I were a lad" that vehicles once they got to 10 years old had to be MOTd...Now 2 years on a 4 year old vehicle seems to be a easier option..so you wouldn't have to rush back from France/Spain every year to get it done...
    As for this EU type MOT didn't Geo post a thread on this a couple of months ago about going to a seminar to throw ideas ariund for this??

6. andi4x4

andi4x4 Read Only Funster

Here on the Isle of Man, we do not have annual MOT's - a vehicle has to have an Import Inspection at the islands only test centre when they are first brought onto the island - whether new and unregistered, or several years old, and then, so long as it is kept continuously taxed, it does not require testing ever again. However, if you let the road tax lapse for a period of more than 6 months, then you have to have the vehicle tested again. Comercials are subject to annual testing though. Not sure about M/H's - will need to check that out !

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Yes of course. It's obvious.

And nothing whatsoever about halving their income, oh no, not at all.

On the other hand, being "an EU improvement" the two year one will probably cost three times the one year one.

But seriously ( yes I can do it, but it hurts ) they must be more critical on the basis the vehicle will not be seen again for 2 years, probably more fails and many more advisories I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chas17

Chas17 Funster

Hazy memories here so I apologise if I've got it wrong. When I went to live in France in 2000 the first CT(MOT) was four years and thereafter every two years. However for Motorhomes and similar LGV,s you had to go every year for an emissions check. Just before we left, 2007 I think,certain LGV's including motorhomes and hearses were excluded from this requirement and were put on a straight every two years for everything.

• Like Like x 1