mot and tax (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Question
My mot and road tax is up at the end of October i intend not to use the MH untill March next year my question is when i book for a mot next year how can i drive to the centre with no mot and no road tax untill i get a mot:Cool::Cool:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Question
My mot and road tax is up at the end of October i intend not to use the MH untill March next year my question is when i book for a mot next year how can i drive to the centre with no mot and no road tax untill i get a mot:Cool::Cool:
as long as you are insured and you are booked in for mot ,there should be no problem,if you take the MH off the road remember to SORN it:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
firstly the law allows you to drive it to an MOT centre without tax or MOT.
However NO motorhome should be laid up for weeks on end let alone months. They need driving around the block at least once a week to keep clutch, brakes and handbrake cables from seizing up. The slightest film of rust can affect brake cyl causing drag, premature brake wear, overheated and distorted brake drums. all need operating regularly to keep in good order or you will have a large service bill every year. how are you going to do that with no tax or MOT.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Chris is correct
However make sure the test centre has all your details logged into their system
Date and time of test
Name
Registration number
Make of vehicle
Only drive directly to and from the test station do not go via the paper shop:thumb:
Should it fail you are also entitled to drive it to and from a place of repair and back to Mot test centre
Where some folk have slipped up is after having it repaired at another garage they then drive home, for a test say next day, that journey home is not covered by the exemptions:Eeek:
Geo
Edit--- unless of course you are repairing it at home

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
firstly the law allows you to drive it to an MOT centre without tax or MOT.
However NO motorhome should be laid up for weeks on end let alone months. They need driving around the block at least once a week to keep clutch, brakes and handbrake cables from seizing up. The slightest film of rust can affect brake cyl causing drag, premature brake wear, overheated and distorted brake drums. all need operating regularly to keep in good order or you will have a large service bill every year. how are you going to do that with no tax or MOT.
So all those in the dealers sales yard are scrap then:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
if we are talking brownh............... then probablly

Bit rude to all those hundreds who have bought from Brownhill's and are happy with there purchase.

I am sure the majority of purchaser are:winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Buttons all you have to do is notify all the appropriate people IE sorn off road (tax)and tell insurers :thumb:Also tell the insurers that as vehicle is Sorn the MOT has expired.You may even get a reduction on the premium paid ::bigsmile:( but I doubt it :ROFLMAO:)after all you are not wanting road risk insurance.You may also be able to freeze the insurance for 6 months, all you have to do is ask :Smile: of course they may well tell you to stuff it :Doh:::bigsmile:
terry
PS my mate just insures his 4x4 for a month (short term ) to pull his van to his desired pitch early season and a month end of season to get it back home :thumb:The rest of the yr they use a Nissan note for economy :thumb: IT works for him ::bigsmile:He looked at changing the 4x4 for a newer model to pull the van but decided to save 20k plus and keep the old one and buy the Note.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I do like a chap with a sense of humour !! They are cowboys !!! :Angry:

But all their customers can't be unhappy, they are just to big to have this problem.

Though.......its obvious they do unfortunately rub a certain amount of their client up the wrong way like you sadly.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi Buttons all you have to do is notify all the appropriate people IE sorn off road (tax)and tell insurers :thumb:Also tell the insurers that as vehicle is Sorn the MOT has expired.You may even get a reduction on the premium paid ::bigsmile:( but I doubt it :ROFLMAO:)after all you are not wanting road risk insurance.You may also be able to freeze the insurance for 6 months, all you have to do is ask :Smile: of course they may well tell you to stuff it :Doh:::bigsmile:terry
PS my mate just insures his 4x4 for a month (short term ) to pull his van to his desired pitch early season and a month end of season to get it back home :thumb:The rest of the yr they use a Nissan note for economy :thumb: IT works for him ::bigsmile:He looked at changing the 4x4 for a newer model to pull the van but decided to save 20k plus and keep the old one and buy the Note.

Thanks Terry
Each to their own. Has your mate considered getting someone to deliver it and pick it up, it has got to be better than keeping the 4x4 just to deliver his van. I think a nice economical camper would cover all his needs.:winky:
As a mate I think you need to have a word with him. :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks Terry
Each to their own. Has your mate considered getting someone to deliver it and pick it up, it has got to be better than keeping the 4x4 just to deliver his van. I think a nice economical camper would cover all his needs.:winky:
As a mate I think you need to have a word with him. :Smile:

Already tried to get him to a camper from a tugger :Doh:::bigsmile: also running one car instead of two :winky: but he likes the idea of keeping the 4x4 just to tug with :Doh: It is not even a big caravan to warrant a big car ::bigsmile: each to there own :Doh::Eeek:
terry

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
This is a question not an answer. Is the insurance valid for a van parked up without tax or MOT?
This happened to friend of mine whose vehicle was stolen. Yes he was insured but the payout was a lot less because the vehicle did not have a current MOT and in the isurance peoples eyes was worth a lot less than a roadworthy one with a current MOT.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
listen to Geo....he knows what he's talking about :thumb:

dont forget to chock the wheels and leave the handbrake off....unless you want a siezed handbrake in march :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back