MOT and 3.5T plus motorhomes with garage (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Practical answers seem to be :_

1 Empty the lockers/garages

OR

2 Go to a VOSA station - I assume they cannot lose their authorisation for 'testing out of class'. And if they test in the wrong class it would seem the owner has a cast-iron defence if stopped on the road by a VOSA inspector.

Do VOSA even check their own Testing Stations?

Geoff

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Practical answers seem to be :_

1 Empty the lockers/garages

Practical maybe but perpetuates the wrongness in the first place....stupidity such as this needs nipping in the bud NOT ignoring.

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
wireman, a very good quetion,i will do my very best to get a positive answer from vosa on monday ,if the relevant person or persons are available to speek to.i hope they will be able to tell me that black is black.white is white .and there isn't a grey somewhere in the middle,i will ask your question and see what they say,i will let you know how i get on .:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
hi all, to anyone that may be interested,i spent over an hour on the phone to various vosa people today asking many questions from previous posts,i finally got to speek to someone who apeered to know all about what i was asking of him, the jist of this 30min+conversation was that if a motor home /camper etc over 3.5 tonnes gvw is presented for test with a motor scooter/bike in it or parts/tools etc ie motor crossers van with no bike but say a presure washer,spare parts etc then we must refuse to test it as it is classed as a goods vehichle(even if all owned by a private individual for private use ).if the exact same vehichle is presented for test with an empty garage/locker,or just containing items related to living ie chairs/table/bbq/windbreaks etc then we can test it as a class 4.if all of those items where in/on a trailer then it would still be a class 4 as we are not involved in testing the trailer(only the towbar from april 09).:thumb:he then whent on to say that if the garage /locker was" locked "and we consider that there are no prescribed areas or any other testable items contained within, and it only contains items related to living and the vehichle presenter assures us and signs a short decleration to that efect , we then may test as a class 4.he also went on to say these are only the rules relating to testing ,and if the driver was unlucky enough to get a pull from plod or a vosa roadside test and be found to be carrying any of the previously mentioned (goods) items then they could be prosecuted for USING a vehicle with the wrong class of test(DRIVERS RESPONSIBILITY).the only trully safe answer is dont carry anything that may be construed as goods ,or have it tested as a goods vehichle ,at a vosa hgv testing station,then PROBLEM SOLVED. hope this may be of use .:thumb:steve.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well thanks for that
Thats the same consistent info from 3 different sources that in itself desevers a:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
hi all, to anyone that may be interested,i spent over an hour on the phone to various vosa people today asking many questions from previous posts,i finally got to speek to someone who apeered to know all about what i was asking of him, the jist of this 30min+conversation was that if a motor home /camper etc over 3.5 tonnes gvw is presented for test with a motor scooter/bike in it or parts/tools etc ie motor crossers van with no bike but say a presure washer,spare parts etc then we must refuse to test it as it is classed as a goods vehichle(even if all owned by a private individual for private use ).if the exact same vehichle is presented for test with an empty garage/locker,or just containing items related to living ie chairs/table/bbq/windbreaks etc then we can test it as a class 4.if all of those items where in/on a trailer then it would still be a class 4 as we are not involved in testing the trailer(only the towbar from april 09).:thumb:he then whent on to say that if the garage /locker was" locked "and we consider that there are no prescribed areas or any other testable items contained within, and it only contains items related to living and the vehichle presenter assures us and signs a short decleration to that efect , we then may test as a class 4.he also went on to say these are only the rules relating to testing ,and if the driver was unlucky enough to get a pull from plod or a vosa roadside test and be found to be carrying any of the previously mentioned (goods) items then they could be prosecuted for USING a vehicle with the wrong class of test(DRIVERS RESPONSIBILITY).the only trully safe answer is dont carry anything that may be construed as goods ,or have it tested as a goods vehichle ,at a vosa hgv testing station,then PROBLEM SOLVED. hope this may be of use .:thumb:steve.

Steve you don't mention 3000kg up to 3500 kg which Dave mentioned in an earlier post which he stated that at that weight if carrying cycles etc would also be tested in the next class.
I cannot believe that our PCs in their battenburgs will stop every mhome with bikes on the back , they would never have time to catch real criminals.
Is the answer to stick your accessories on a trailer???

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
hi geo, lets just hope that there right and nobody comes up with another "right"answer .i think i'm going to stick to what iv'e been told ,regards,steve.:Doh:

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
hi larrynwin ,a goods vehicle between 3000 and 3500kgs would be a class7 so thats easy any class 7 station should be able to test unless it is unusualy large and will not fit the kit (doubtfull)..just remembered something else the vosa man said ,goods vehicles above 3500 kgs gvw may need a tacho +o licence +speed limiter.:Doh:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hope they don't try and enforce all of this it would cause chaos, still all the fines would be extra for the chancellor :Angry:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well I think that is pretty comprehensive..

Seems to me I wasted my money buying a van with a garage as has many hundred others.

Seems also to me that the rules MAY have been brought in retrospectively but would like that confirmed if possible ( Any chance Steve ? Sorry )

If the date the rules were brought in was after 2007 ( in my case ) I might just be willing to allow a case be taken up against VOSA as retospective rule changes are real hard to show precident ( :winky: ) as the govt found out when they tried to put a massive tax hike on 4x4 vehicles dating back 6 years

If the date is pre 2007 I will contact the London Gazette to confirm they played the game absolutely by the rules and it was announced in said tome as per the prescribed procedure, else, once again I might well be persuaded to ask family members to present the case on everyone's behalf.

Whatever, quite obviously the original info given by David was spot on, and Steve has taken a lot of time and trouble to get it all straight from the horses mouth, so we must thank both for bringing this to our attention.

Must admit getting very fed up with all this crap.. Took up motorhoming to get away from stress.. Nowadays it seems there is one thing after another.
30 grand buys an awful lot of hotel nights.. Could be time to walk away and leave all the sh!te to others

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
he did say you would have to be incredibly unlucky,but there is the posibility(drivers choice)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Appreciate that Steve, but over the years I have learned that while every one else can blithely go on without issue, I am always the soppy sod who gets the tug.. so as best as is humanly possible I try to stick to the rules and try not to give 'the man' my hard earned lolly in fines for something I can sort out.
Hence my recent suspension upgrade, retesting and VED..

As an aside, it does strike me that as one of the things stated was tools, does that mean the tool kit supplied my manufacturers must be left at home ?
And if not.. then who is to decide what tools you can carry and what you cannot ?
( and yes, I SHALL conitnue to carry my tools and hope and prey I do not end up with Mr Jobby Jobsworth doing the VOSA thing at the road side !

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
hi jaws ,when i tested my home built motor i was told to test it as a goods vehicle (12 tonne)that was in2002/3 so i don't think it is recent.sorry ,but can't be sure:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok Steve.. well that kinda put the kybosh on that too! :Blush: :Smile:

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I know you will think I am being arkward and I do appreciate all the trouble you are going to BUT.........what are they quoting from. If its the RTA then what portion? Too many times these people are making these things up or are reading them incoorectly. I want ot know where the information is that they are saying that a personalitem is a piece of goods?

Can you find out?

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I would also be interested in what the construction and use rules state in this case if anyone can point me to wards them. I suspect that some jobsworth has construed all this from an incorrect reading of something somewhere and every one is going back to them so although its coming from different people its actually emanating from one person or small group. I cannot see for the life of me how a privately owned scooter being used solely for the purpose of leisure can in any way be construed as 'goods'. If we are to use the term 'burden' then that will apply to anything that is not easily carriable (not necessarily heavy it may just be awkward). If they say the vehicle has been 'adapted to carry such items then they are on very shaky ground since my vehicle in particular has not been adapted in any way to carry anything, it is as it came out of the factory., There are no permanent fixtures such as hydraulic ramps (maybe unlike a disabled access vehicle) and nothing has been strengthened or altered in any way.

How does a scooter being carried in a locker in any way be different to a scooter being towed behind a vehicle? I think they have got their knockers in a twist about vehicles that have been modified so that work can be performed inside the vehicle on it like many club racers vehicle for motorcycle racing and have somehow transposed this kind of setup, incorrectly, to the carriage of scooters for getting about leisure purposes..

Another thought that crosses my mind is the enclosed type of box trailer; surely that will be for the carriage of goods in the same way and everyone who owns one will not be insured because most private insurances prohibit the carriage of goods.....this has far more wide ranging issues than at first apparent....

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Not realy, your now talking construction and use :Doh:
Nothing to do with Mot regs:Smile:

I agree with the sentiment though, there has been an awfull lot of misdirected intensions resulting in a complete farce:Doh:

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
OK Geo, but C&U aside what regs are VOSA quoting to support this edict....or are they just giving an 'opinion' based on their interpretation of the 'rules'? and if so what are the rules they are interpreting?

I think that is a very important point to try and clear up...yes, it means someone sticking their head above the parapet but surely we have a braveheart amongst us?

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
I have my MOT on Saturday morning.
I will be emptying the garage on Friday night as not to cause any hold ups on the day, i believe this helps with the handbrake test?
My reversing monitor is fixed where the rear view mirror goes. Is it only the dash mounted screens that are being picked up?

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
OK Geo, but C&U aside what regs are VOSA quoting to support this edict....or are they just giving an 'opinion' based on their interpretation of the 'rules'? and if so what are the rules they are interpreting?

I think that is a very important point to try and clear up...yes, it means someone sticking their head above the parapet but surely we have a braveheart amongst us?

Steve, with the greatest of respect why not phone VOSA yourself and ask them your questions. That way you will be able to ask exactly what you want and you will personally get the answers direct from VOSA.

Just a suggestion, D.

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
Have the testers actually GOT the authority to DEMAND and FORCE OPEN locked garage doors when a vehicle is undertaking a test ?

Rgds

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Have the testers actually GOT the authority to DEMAND and FORCE OPEN locked garage doors when a vehicle is undertaking a test ?

Rgds

No, I don't think they do but they do have the authority to refuse to testso its probably best not to antagonise them.

D.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
If a tester needs something opened and you refuse to open it, he can simply refuse to test it. ie. They have to ensure both front doors open, if you have locked one and refuse to unlock it, they can refuse to test it.

Don't know what's the matter with some of you, the tester is only doing his job, so give them a break, unload the scoot out of the blasted garage. If you don't like the regs. you get them changed, don't expect him to waste his time trying to get them changed just to suit you.

Olley

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I can only guess that Wireman has gone away in his 'van. If you do get any answers to your questions please post them here so we can all benefit, thanks.

D.

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
No wireman has not gone away, sorry to dissapoint you.

I would phone VOSA but I know they will not talk to me as a punter so its a waste of time.

I was kind of hoping that the MOT types on here (who have a ready way into VOSA (even if it takes a little time to get there:re the post from further up the thread) would clear this up for me and ask whoever is giving them the 'information' to actually quote from whence they are quoting. if I have access to that info I am quite happy to then research it.

But I think it needs a MOT tester to ask the question and get the info.

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
So you think that an MOT tester should spend their valuable time asking your questions rather than you pick up the phone and do some work for yourself? What makes you think they won't answer your questions? I've phoned VOSA before, just as a punter and not on business related enquiries and they have been nothing short of very helpful.

go on, put yourself out for once instead of asking busy people to do it for you so you can continue to argue with the results, I dare ya!

D.

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
as I stated I am happy to pursue the matter once I have the answer to my questions .....perhaps you'd like to phone VOSA then and help out?

All I require is the legislation they are allegedly quoting from.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
as I stated I am happy to pursue the matter once I have the answer to my questions .....perhaps you'd like to phone VOSA then and help out?

All I require is the legislation they are allegedly quoting from.

So phone them and ask! It is that simple! Why should I, or Geo, or anyone else spend our valuable time asking questions that (apparently) only you require the answers to? Here's my suggestion to you, nine AM tomorrow morning, pick up the phone and dial VOSA number, explain what you're enquiring about and ask to speak to someone who can help. When you're put through to the relevant person ask them your questions. Then when you've got your answers "straight from the horse's mouth" so to speak you can share them on here with the rest of us.

Is that too difficult?
D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back