MOT and 3.5T plus motorhomes with garage

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by dave newell lvs, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Hi guys, I was told today by our local MOT tester (they're on the same estate as us and do just about all our testing) to make sure that any motorhomes being submitted for test that are over 3500KGs MAM and have a garage are not carrying anything in the garage other than either clothes or items necessary for the day to day use of the motorhome, particularly no bikes or scooters/motorbikes. The reason was that VOSA have advised that such a setup would be construed as a commercial vehicle carrying goods and would therefore be subject to testing at a VOSA station only.

Not sure if this is accurate information, maybe GEO can throw some light on it but its something to bear in mind if you have a +3.5T motorhome with a garage that is due for an MOT. Shouldn't be too difficult to remove everything from the garage just in case:thumb:.

D.

2. johnnerontheroad

johnnerontheroad Read Only Funster

Just had mine MOT today a local council test centre never even looked in garage its 4.5t.

Dave

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

it appears the different gov departments cant get their act together on this subject.

over 3500kg and it will be taxed as a PRIVATE HEAVY GOODS which to me means it is a private GOODS vehicle...PRIVATE being for personal use and GOODS being the carriage of personal goods.

carry goods for reward and it becomes a goods vehicle in every sense of the word..

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I've certainly seen this stated before, a good while ago, maybe during my year on the dark side. The implication was that if "pulled" with a bike in the garage you would not be insured or your licence would be invalid or some such.

I think it also implied bikes in the living area.

Effing ridiculous.

5. dave newell lvs

6. buyer

buyer Funster - Life Member Life Member

hello all, a few years ago i built a *motor home* out of an ex army troop carying coach with rear doors .I built a garage into the rear of the coach with access through the rear doors,as it was unregistered when i got it i had to mot it before it was registered, i took it to the local hgv test centre to get it classified as it was not yet a motor home at that point in time ,i didn't want to spend months of work and thousands of £ to then find i could not register it for some reason.well that bit was easy, my options where to test it as it was (as a lorry)because i had removed all rear seating,put the seats back in and test it as a bus.Or to fit it out as a motor home and test it as a LIVING VAN which is basicly a motor home with space to carry goods,or remove the garage and test as a motor home .Itested it as a lorry as it was easier.my point here is if you have a garage i think you will find you have a LIVING VAN and not a motor home and if it is over 3500kg then a ministry plate is the only legal way of getting it tested. this was 8 years ago thing s may have changed since then but I don't they have .I am old enough to know that i do not know everything and am quite prepaired to learn if anyone has an absolute answer,as i am an mot tester and told a customer recently i could not test his 7.5 tonne LIVING VAN , i have not checked with vosa ,I was only telling him what they told me when i had mine tested .Ilook forward to any further comments.bye all steve.:thumb:

7. cronkle

cronkle Funster

8. ginge61

ginge61 Read Only Funster

they even cofuse themselves :Rofl1::Rofl1:

9. buyer

buyer Funster - Life Member Life Member

thanks cronkle,that was a very interesting read, it is now as clear as mud, Ithink its definately time for another vodka and pepsimax(a big 1) cheers. steve.:thumb:

10. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

It specifically says 'NOT MOTOR CARAVANS' so no problem :thumb:

11. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

A few years ago the MOT station that I used at the time told me the same thing.
    I changed MOT stations and no problems since.Like most testing stations its down to the examiner.One will pull you up on one thing and another on somthing else.
    The problem is that they get the same money for testing a mini as they do for testing a 40 foot RV,and the RV blocks the whole garage up.

12. dave newell lvs

Seems pretty clear to me, the DfT and VOSA both consider a bike or car as not being necessary for the purpose of living in the vehicle and therefore constitute goods or burden and as such the carriage of said bike or car would render the vehicle a "living van" as opposed to a motor caravan and therefore sub 3500KG MAM vehicles (but over 3000KGs MAM) would be subject to class 7 test and over 3500KGs MAM would be subject to a HGV test at a VOSA testing station.

D. And breathe:BigGrin:

13. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Correct in every detail dave
    I covered this on the dark side a couple of years ago now
    The implications for the tester are quite serious, Vosa may just send one in with a bike in the back and the tester is struck off (testing out of class)
    there are far more serious implications for the vehicle owner incorrect licence and or insurance
    If you want to see the really scary bit look closely at the regs and you will see it clearly states
    Any vehicle manufactured or adapted to carry etc:Doh:
    Is not a rear cycle/motorcycle rack----------- an adaption:Eek!:
    so it's not just garage types is it
    Geo

14. robnchris

robnchris Funster

bike rack

All very interesting and Dave is spot on from reading the e mails it would appear that if a motorhome carries a bike or car then it`s a goods vehicle, one question as my motorhome is under 3500kg then i`m out of it but what if I`m over 3500kg and I carry a motorbike on a rack. ?
    Is the bike still classed as goods.

Christ don`t they have anything better to do than come up with these rules and regs, who in their right mind would buy a large motorhome to carry goods.
    Surely if you want to carry goods you would at least buy a vehicle with some carrying capacity, not a small garage under he bed in a 28 foot motorhome.

Still if the police can pull a guy over for blowing his nose whilst stopped in a traffic queue and the appeal being over ruled so the case went to court I`m not surprised at anything.
    By the way did anyone hear how that poor bloke got on.

15. IrasciBill

IrasciBill Funster

Nose Blower

Case was dropped - eventually! Common sense can be even slower than our MH!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8539682.stm

Regards
    Bill :RollEyes:

16. ginge61

ginge61 Read Only Funster

well in that respect most folks who carry push bikes are flouting thev law ????? or are they not goods ohh and roof boxes etc etc lol anything other than standard is breaking the law ??? i still cary my m/c on the back at certian times so thats me done ahh welll rules are made to be broken thats the french idea and a good one

17. robnchris

robnchris Funster

can of worms

Oh dear this could indeed be a large can of worms.

18. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

Handy for fishing :Rofl1:

19. wireman

wireman Read Only Funster

I'm disabled and the scooter (twist and go) is neccasery for 'living' as its the only way I can get about any distance without taking the van.So.....

20. bungy

bungy Funster

what about fitting an awning, sat dish, solar panel etc - where does the line get drawn on neccesary stuff for living!!
    :Eeek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.