MOT Abroad ... Just a thought (1 Viewer)

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
What an idea .... While we are still in Europe , a Europe wide MOT test or at least a UK licenced MOT garage abroad .....

Discussion welcome

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not sure what there is to discuss, you can't do it anywhere but in the UK.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
There is absolutely NO REASON AT ALL that the DVLA cannot arrange and authorise an MOT station or more than one, to be allowed to operate in Spain and Portugal.. They have to comply with the rules and equipment laid down and be able, and be open to visit to ensure the compliance. Same as every other one in this country. Just a matter of shipping an inspector out for a RyanAir flight for a couple of days. Mind you when the UK officialdom does trip it is ALWAYS the dearest way possible. 1st class both ways.
There are quite a few garages in other European countries that are manned by UK mechanics. and some of those are bound to be Tester ticketed. Might be worth an enquiry to the DVLA.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I fear..... red tape ... would "discourage" any such "logic and sensible" activity...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What an idea .... While we are still in Europe , a Europe wide MOT test or at least a UK licenced MOT garage abroad .....

Discussion welcome

The EU Etc; have been talking about standardised mot tests as long as I have lived here.

You must know someone that could start the business

He means " No" as in you can get one only for a Gib registered vehicle.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
whats an mot ?
get an exempt vehicle .
as for gibralter its difficult buying vehicles there and trying to register them there if you dont live in gib. they wont transfer ownership to you at the vehicle reg office in gib.
never mind been there done it.
mot?????????????

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
In Portugal the mot stations will do a UK mot exactly according to UK specs but they are not recognised by the UK. Expats who missed mots used to get thes certificates and usually the the police would let them of if they had just arrived back if they got an mot immediately. Now it is all automated you are probably picked up by an ANPR camera as you leave the ferry terminal.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there as been a few so called uk mot stations in spain over the years .
most have been closed.
never mind soon many of the expats in the eu that havnt followed the rules will be coming back ,or being kicked out of spain .
hopefully illegals in uk will be kicked out as well.
there must be thousands that havnt registered or become residents of spain. met loads over the years many this year have said they havnt done this or that but it does seem many are going to come a cropper.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
In Portugal the mot stations will do a UK mot exactly according to UK specs but they are not recognised by the UK. Expats who missed mots used to get thes certificates and usually the the police would let them of if they had just arrived back if they got an mot immediately. Now it is all automated you are probably picked up by an ANPR camera as you leave the ferry terminal.
there was a time were itv stations in spain would give an mot for 6 months ,after that you needed to register the vehicle in spain.
yes on return to uk you had to get a uk mot as close to the port as possible. in uk.
before sorn was set up you didnt sort of needed to worry anyway . tax in the window was enough. now tax insurance ,mot all available to the world.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Husks at Lydden on the A2 coming out of Dover, will do UK mot s for you 5 miles from the gate and no ANPR between the docks and garage.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
there was a time were itv stations in spain would give an mot for 6 months ,after that you needed to register the vehicle in spain.
yes on return to uk you had to get a uk mot as close to the port as possible. in uk.
before sorn was set up you didnt sort of needed to worry anyway . tax in the window was enough. now tax insurance ,mot all available to the world.

Sorry; I disagree.
ITV stations in Spain have never been able to supply a valid MOT test certificate for a British registered vehicle.

They can only administer the Spanish ITV (Inspección Técnica de Vehículos) test and certificate, which is utterly irrelevant and meaningless for anything except a Spanish matriculated vehicle.
(The only exception is a pre-importation ITV/engineers certificate examination, which is part of the process of replating a vehicle from some other EU country onto Spanish plates, and is only valid as part of that paperwork process)

In fact the Spanish ITV test is very different to the British MOT anyway - it tests fewer items, some different items, and to different technical standards.

British registered vehicles must by law have (if of an age that requires it) a current MOT test certificate to be used on any public roads, whether in the Britain or anywhere else.....and they can only be obtained from a registered MOT testing centre which only exist in Britain.

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
W,re in the process of buying a motorhome and then hope to go off touring for a while. It was our decision to buy new so that we would not be forced to return to the Uk after 12 months just to get a piece of paper. I can see no reason why garages abroad could not be licensed to carry out MOT's to UK standards and issue certificates.

For course if they need to be inspected it would be expensive, however perhaps as part of the licensing, they could be made to carry the inspection costs?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
W,re in the process of buying a motorhome and then hope to go off touring for a while. It was our decision to buy new so that we would not be forced to return to the Uk after 12 months just to get a piece of paper. I can see no reason why garages abroad could not be licensed to carry out MOT's to UK standards and issue certificates.

For course if they need to be inspected it would be expensive, however perhaps as part of the licensing, they could be made to carry the inspection costs?

I think that if your vehicle is out of UK over a certain period it has to be registered as exported,,Don't know how they would find out though, BUSBY,,

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
I think that after 6 months in another country you have to register your vehicle there, don't you? So real need for MOTs abroad IF you follow the rules?
In our instance we will be moving around and don't expect to spend more than say 4 months in one country

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there was a fairly famous garage on the costas that used to cheat the mot system. they inspected the vehicle in the spanish garage then sent the details to a partner mot station in the uk who posted out the certificate. vosa caught on and investigated and the uk mot station lost their licence

it was an excellent idea though and if it was made legal would work very well for all involved

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
In our instance we will be moving around and don't expect to spend more than say 4 months in one country
I would be very wary, as some interpret the rules as meaning if you are away from the country of registration for longer than 6 months, as opposed to being in any another single country for more than 6 months.

Technically you are required to be fully legal in the country of original registration whilst you are elsewhere, in other words, taxed, MOT'd and insured (to cover EU travel).

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
If you take a UK registered vehicle out of the UK for more than 12 months, DVLA regard it as permanently exported, and legally you are supposed to tell them that you have done that.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp

Whilst I would agree it is not beyond the wit ofman but with our current brexit obsessed government the chances are slim, andperhaps slimmer in the future

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Whilst I would agree it is not beyond the wit ofman but with our current brexit obsessed government the chances are slim, andperhaps slimmer in the future

The Government is not obsessed with Brexit they are carrying out the wishes of the electorate who by majority in a referendum voted to leave The EU..(Think the majority of MPs wanted to stay in,,Jobs for the boys) BUSBY:D:D:D

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

Definitely no ANPR cameras at Plymouth,Portsmouth and the Tunnel as I know of a number of people who have come back out of MOT including myself.

I know people will argue against this but they have booked a MOT Station 300 miles from U.K. Entry without problem.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I think that after 6 months in another country you have to register your vehicle there, don't you? So real need for MOTs abroad IF you follow the rules?

I believe this is applicable if you take up Residence, in the case of a Motorhome it's also not nessasarily parked on the highway and is very unlikely to draw attention anyway,however, if it was a Car and you work,commute,etc etc you are not a Tourist.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

As it is new it won't need one after a year anyway.
It is the list of other laws you would be breaking that are more likely to be of concern.
1) 12 months + out UK= Permanent export.
2) No vehicle in one EU state for in excess of 6 months being used on road.
3) You make the vehicle illegal once you have been in one state for 90 consecutive days as you become resident , whether you register or not, as a 'resident cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle. Leaving after 89 days exempts you & clock starts again. But unfortunately the vehicle will still fall foul of '2'.

90 days & you are a resident whether a tourist or not. Only way to ensure that you are not classed as one , here in Spain anyway, is to attend a National police station & get a certificate of non-residency.

I believe this is applicable if you take up Residence, in the case of a Motorhome it's also not nessasarily parked on the highway and is very unlikely to draw attention anyway,however, if it was a Car and you work,commute,etc etc you are not a Tourist.

Doesn't matter what you are doing 90 consecutive days makes you a 'resident'.
Not that anyone is likely to actually crackdown on you but there is always the possibility .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back