Moselle Valley

Discussion in 'Germany' started by ****, Jan 23, 2016.

1. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Looking for recommendation sites up the Moselle Valley. North of Trier but not Cochem as i have done that twice. Looking for site that has a bar/restaurant or walking distance to town. Allow dogs and prefer somewhere Cochem size as we will be there two nights. May spit between two sites if recommended a few nice ones.

BTW the Cochem camp sight i can recommend. If you have not been i hired a van last year for €90 for two nights for the wife and myself. Caravan had an awning, cooker and TV. Power was in the price and wash rooms were all clean, warm and free hot water/showers.

2. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Bernkastel-Kues is wonderful. Not sure about a camp site as we stay in the car park on the other side of the river. Easy walk into town

upload_2016-1-23_21-28-52.png

• Like Like x 2
  3. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Also while you are in the area take a look at Monschau, unforgettable. Maybe an hour north.

upload_2016-1-23_21-55-40.png

4. ****

**** Read Only Funster

That looks stunning and right up out street. Quick google says 20 min walk from camp sight. As it happens i would be going up that way to visit friends south Holland (Linne) so i think i will be visiting Monschau.

Thank you

5. Jo662

Jo662 Funster

6. orridge

orridge Funster

We stayed at http://www.campingpark-zell.de/en in Zell,right on the river front. Both camping and stellplatze available and highly recommended. There is a large hypermarket at the top of the hill with beer and wine store to stock up .

7. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Lol. You got Scottish blood? That was what i liked about the Cochem site. Aldi was a few minute walk and you got six 500ml Belgian beers for €1.60. Yes i tood advantage :)

Anyone recommend anywhere further north up the valley heading towards Koblenz? May do a night at each end.

8. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

There are so many good sites either side of the river that we found the best thing to do was to enjoy driving up the river and finding what feels good for you. That's what we will be doing come June / July. Having said that, it's nice to get some recommendations before heading off...:smiley:

9. orridge

orridge Funster

Some, it was more that the hypermarket was really good and had a getrankemarkt attached which is a beer, wine, water shop so perfect for crates of beer when in Germany.

10. ****

**** Read Only Funster

My first night this year is south east Belgum at this site

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...18f89dd3d663:0xb91412b7b635170a!6m1!1e1?hl=en

The blue shop on the right is a beer type cash and carry (Ardenne Boissons) what i will take advantage of. Across the road is a C&A what the wife is also happy about and further up the road is Aldi :D Not seen a local McDonalds yet.

11. davanne

davanne Funster

Watching this thread with interest as we plan to travel along the Moselle and Rhine in May. Know the Rhine but not been along the Moselle as much.

12. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Dont look at staying at Trier. Its a bit of a dump. Nice and clean enough site but a trek into town what would be either up a dark river bank or through an industrial area what is also full of Knocking shops. Anything north looks fantastic, Im just after recommendations as to places with a bit of night life.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. orridge

orridge Funster

Just make sure it's not a public holiday like last time we were in Bastogne and the beer shop was closed (looked good through the window). The new WWII museum by the US Memorial is well worth a visit.

14. ****

**** Read Only Funster

I am crossing at Zeebrugge and just down the road is this for cheap beer and tobacco

http://www.realtobacco.be/en/real-tobacco/shop-info

However if you are a smoker Luxembourg is the place. Yet to find cheaper than rout66

http://www.route66-tobacco-lux.com/index.html

Quit smoking myself but i can double my money from that shop and the wife still smokes so we get her years worth while we are over.

15. ****

**** Read Only Funster

So were you at that camp site Orridge? It looks quite nice. Was there eatery's inside the site or do i need to go out?

16. Dogeared

Dogeared Funster

Higher, planning ourselves to do the same in early May, might be nice to touch base nearer the time.

Baz

17. orridge

orridge Funster

No the first time we stayed at the Aire in Bastogne which is just a car park but handy for the town. At Christmas we stayed 30 mins away in Luxembourg at Camping Fuussekaul which is a great site in the Ardennes but the roads are a little windy.

18. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

We stayed on the stellplaze in Trier, it's a barrier and ticket job and there is a machine there to top up your card if you want ehu or a shower. We met a Welsh couple who missed the turning for it, so overnighted in McDonald's car park, about 300 yards away. They said there was a bit of activity with cars turning up through the night, then flashing their headlights at one another and then a different kind of flashing happened :eek:
    Not a lot going on in Trier, but it was a convenient stop over for us.

19. davanne

davanne Funster

Yes we are going early May as well and I notice you arn't far from us have you any fixed plans yet?

20. davanne

davanne Funster

We stayed at Trier years ago on the aire and weren't very impressed either