Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just had an hr or two working out routes etc, calculated all milages and so far appear to be opting for the Portsmouth to Santander ferry, sound's expensive at £788 Return two adults, with Brittany inc two reclining seats
or £890 with P&O with double outside cabin
Based on a 10 mtr x 4 Mtr RV

The saving on fuel appears to be approx 1200 to 1300 miles both ways through France plus the toll charges both ways with an Rv doing 12 MPG it seems to pay for itself with the added bonus of saving a few ££s and less driving.

Have i got it right???? have you got a better option answers on a post card please:ROFLMAO:
Geo

Camperian

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Dorset - 6months, Spain - 6months
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
Hi Geo

IMHO, I think you got it right travelling by ferry. You were also right to choose the PLymouth run instead of the Portsmouth. I chose the latter as P'mouth is only about 1hr's drive from home. BIG MISTAKE :Doh:

The boat was full of round trip binge drinkers which P & O promote off-season:Angry::Angry:

Ian

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You may well save a few quid on the commute Geo, but for us, the France bit of a tour to anywhere else in Europe is normally the best bit!. If you are in a hurry, then get on the ferry, I have done it a few times and hated it, those 24 hours and the Mini-cruisers (drunks) make the last 4 hours before docking seem like an eternity.

If you have a few days spare, then take your time through France, it might turn out to be the best bit of the trip:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Geo

Your sums seem about right based on todays fuel cost, driving through France is a holiday in itself but if time is of the essence makes good sense.

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thank boys for the replies, done France last year, yes all of it in a fortnight:Eeek:
Honest !! ask Keith:ROFLMAO:
plan is to cut out france and take an idle stroll thro Spain to the Fiesta meet if it takes place ,if not, I will set up camp in Rays garden till the boat sails thanks for the input
Geo

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
hi geo im thinking of dover calais going down, and if i dont fancy the drive back book the santander ferry for the return. still unsure yet i also had a similar quote £850 return with outside cabin.:Smile

mark.

TinaGlenn

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Near King's Lynn
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
We are going to do the Morocco trip in April, and we have decided to make a long holiday out of it, so we are sailing from Dover to Calais, a slow drive down through France and Spain. Then on the way back we are going to drive through Portugal and then France and home. If we had a shorter time limit we would take the longer Ferry trip but we have got 8 weeks to play with so are taking the long way down :winky:
I love to cruise but the idea of being stuck on a boat for 24 hours with a load of drunken people isn't my idea of a relaxing start to the holiday.

Tina

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I envy you Tina,
I am restricted by Pammy,s Holiday limits imposed by her collage, she had to scream and shout to get a 5 week block, whole month holidays are not allowed, so tendering her resignation got her 5 weeks max , 20 days in Morocco only leaves a week each way to get there and back so time for us is important we too would like to cruise down slowly
Geo

TinaGlenn

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Near King's Lynn
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Hi Geo,

Glenn retired from the RAF last year and decided to have a "mid life gap year" :ROFLMAO: before looking for another job, and it is our 25th wedding anniversary this year :Eeek: so we decided to treat ourselves. My boss said I could only have 24 days off at one go so I told him I would resign, he still thinks I am bluffing. What he doesn't know is that after our holiday we are going to be looking to move back up to Norfolk from Wiltshire so I would have been leaving anyway. :Doh:

However we all get to Morocco I bet we are all going to have a great time.

Tina

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
We are going to do the Morocco trip in April, and we have decided to make a long holiday out of it, so we are sailing from Dover to Calais, a slow drive down through France and Spain. Then on the way back we are going to drive through Portugal and then France and home. If we had a shorter time limit we would take the longer Ferry trip but we have got 8 weeks to play with so are taking the long way down :winky:
I love to cruise but the idea of being stuck on a boat for 24 hours with a load of drunken people isn't my idea of a relaxing start to the holiday.

Tina
Gosh, I wish we could do that but we're both limited to 3 weeks leave. We've managed to get that up a little but it still looks as though we're going to have to do it in three goes. One weeks hols to deliver Gladys to Alheurian and fly home. Back a couple of weeks later for the September tour of Morocco and then fly home again. Finally go out again to bring the RV home again.
Look forward to hearing about your adventures before we go!

Regards
Doug 'n Bar

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back