Morrocco first timers

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by pkurzok, Jan 25, 2011.

1. pkurzok

pkurzok Read Only Funster

Hi guys,

We are going to head to Morrocco sometime in the next few weeks & were wondering about food over there. Is it a good idea to stock up on tinned & packaged food before we go. Both Hubby & I enjoy morroccon & arabic style food but just a bit worried we may get a little tired of it after a couple of weeks. We're not quite sure what sort of meat is available there & if we are allowed to take a few bottles of wine with us.

Thanks Ann

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You would not believe some meat in the souks. Whole animals hung up in the open air crawling with flies. So best left to the locals. Better if you stock up in the supermarkets and get your beer and wine there too. There is a huge French influence there, you'll not starve.

We were taken to one "different" eating place for lunch. Hotel in middle of nowhere. One side of the site was the butcher, you bought lovely meat as you fancied, we had a mince full of herbs and spices, minced before our eyes. They we take this to the hotel and they cook it. Very good too.

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

sorry havent been, but many on the forum have and someone will advise you.

lamb would be high on the list of available meat though. :Laughing:

i would think some basic 'english' tinned supplies might be a good idea but i dont think its quite as '3rd world' as some folks think.

4. Pammy

Pammy Read Only Funster

5. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Loperamide Hydrochloride-that's the answer :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Mike

6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Tried that gave me the S**Ts:Doh::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

7. bigfish

bigfish Read Only Funster

morroco is stunning, marrakesh is every thing you expect and more.
    only one thing wife didnt go much on was our first Tagine.

Took the lid off, to what looked like a veggy version, only to find
    a lambs head init:Eeek::Eeek: got to say after the first shook it tasted
    gorgeous, even better after seeing barbs look of horror:Rofl1:

But we never tired of thier food, same as here just be senciable,
    the night time is the only time to go out eating in marrakesh pure
    foody theatre.:thumb::thumb:

8. thefman

thefman Read Only Funster

hi plenty of good meat in morocco i asked the guy to give me his knife and i cut the piece i wanted myself (i am a butcher:BigGrin)

Attached Files:

9. bambi 2

bambi 2 Read Only Funster

We are in morocco now, having been before and learnt my lessons, I only brought 2 tinned meals with me and they are still tucked away under the seat, there's not much you cannot get here, you can even get pork at a certain butchers in Agadir, the large supermarkets here are Margane they even sell booze, but it's cheaper to bring your own, the fish is good and cheap and the veg is so fresh and lovely plus very cheap, (cherry tomatoes about 4 pence a kilo) lovely new potatoes and beans and peas, but best to bring some cash to change to dirhams Barclays charged us £10.75 to use the hole in the wall here for £300 worth of dirhams :Angry: it's lovely here though so glad we came :Smile: bambi 2

10. billkce

billkce Funster

The meat in the markets in Tangier were spotlessly clean & not an ounce of blood or a fly to be seen.

However, I didn't see what you might call a supermarket at all.

You are permitted to import duty free alc bought in Spain. Its not a dry country & has bars but they are very discrete.

Cheers

Billkce

11. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Morocco is an amazing place and we will go back some time, but I would defiantly take as much food as you can, in some of the markets the meat has flies all over it and no matter how much you may want to go native its hard to fancy it. Half the fun though is improvising and buying food in the markets that you do want and putting it with your own.
    Not to be missed the huge food market in the square at Marrakesh in the evening very very good.
    Be aware when traveling to have small change as when you stop in a town a guardian will come up to you to look after your motorhome, it is always advisable to pay and let them that way your van is always safe. We did venture into a large rural market on the Rose trail, that was a bit eerrrrrr different. Don't forget to take plenty of Stilo's (Biro's) with you if you dont you will wish you had.
    We also took a lot of our grandchildrens clothes and is some of the places we stopped they made a lot of difference.
    The one word that comes to mind when you are travelling the High Atlas or Erg Chebie is biblical, so very different.

• Like Like x 1