Morrisons Blanket Ban On Refilling All Lpg Tanks And Bottles (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have a local gas centre (Flogas) they come out and fill for you as well, might be a few pennies more per litre, but then they also adjust the VAT, so far filling before we leave has always given us enough, but we do have 2 x 12kg

Long live the independents (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think you will find you are breaking the contract between you and Calor gas. Which you took out when you 'rented' their cylinder, and they specifically state only Calor can refill.

I also believe you can only legally fill a cylinder on a forecourt to 80% so how you are going to acurately measure that is an issue.

I am assuming the 80% limit is there to protect the cylinder from being stressed from regular 100% fillings which may cause structural issues on the cylinder itself.
I hane gasit but if I were going to refill a calor cylinder its easy to clculate it wight it take off the empty wight (shown on the tag) work out how much gas its short of (specofic gravity 0.5ish) and put in that less a bit to allow for safety.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
"We" are the victims of the people who use dodgy ebay adaptors to illegally fill Calor cylinders. What they are saying is quite reasonable.

Indeedy......how do they tell if its been installed properly and tested or if its a dodgy DIY install!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
I hane gasit but if I were going to refill a calor cylinder its easy to clculate it wight it take off the empty wight (shown on the tag) work out how much gas its short of (specofic gravity 0.5ish) and put in that less a bit to allow for safety.
Simply take a angle grinder and cut a 10mm wide line down full length of the bottle, now get a 2litre empty plastic pop bottle and cut a 30mm strip again the full length of the bottle. Now go back to the gas bottle and use 10mm double sided sticky tape either side of the cut made earlier now use the plastic strip and attach to bottle pressing firmly to achieve a seal.
Voila you can now see the gas level and no more guessing !!
Sounds dangerous ? So is refilling a calor bottle
easier way don't refill calor bottles !

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I am currently stuck with using Calor Gas so I don't and never have used LPG fuel pumps on garage forecourts. I am however interested in having such a system so I can enjoy the fuel saving.

If you have a vehicle powered by LPG then it is presumably turned off when you fill up.

This might not be the case with a motorhome where the gas could be on and lights up the pilot light for the fridge when the engine is turned off on the forecourt if the fridge was set to auto?

Does the act of refilling your tanks mean than the tank supply is shut off automatically so that the fridge pilot light goes out.

Perhaps someone has seen the potential risk of motorhomes having naked flames on their forecourts though in that case they would probably ban us altogether rather than just for gas?

Fridge on when driving? You supposed to turn bottles off when filling with LPG. And yes I'm aware that you can drive with gas on if using a securemotion valve (with correct pigtails) but would never have one of those again as so unreliable...

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
Indeedy......how do they tell if its been installed properly and tested or if its a dodgy DIY install!
The first way is to see if the filler point is fixed outside, second if in doubt ask to see documentation I always keep mine to hand. Also been a newer van it is gas safe checked every year during habitation check.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The first way is to see if the filler point is fixed outside, second if in doubt ask to see documentation I always keep mine to hand. Also been a newer van it is gas safe checked every year during habitation check.

Your getting ridiculous now even though I agree with much of what you say. Camper van lpg installs are not covered by Gas Safe regs so no obligation there..... so Morrisons have recognised this and placed a blanket ban..they will not be interested in your documents as staff not qualified to make a decision....just go elsewhere

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I did read that some BP service stations are removing Autogas pumps cos they not profitable.
I fill mine at the Shell garage on the Ollerton roundabout on the A614

Probably to make way for the electric car plug in points :eek:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I thought Shell were removing all LPG pumps from garage forecourts......that's me stuffed in London!:(

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I wish I could afford to shop at Morrisons but being an old age pensioner I have to shop at Lidles, Aldi and Iceland. As for this gas crisis, it may mean driving a couple of extra miles to the next Autogas point that are motorhome friendly. It does intrigue me that some people have a specific loyalty towards an Autogas supplier, we fill up wherever we happen to be, when we need to.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If finding LPG in London is a problem, perhaps this app may help (not tried it myself)
Broken Link Removed
Alan

Thanks I have an LPG app. But being lazy the two very convenient Shell garages will no longer be an option...there are others :)

@DavidG58 European LPG a mix of propane and butane. UK propane... Have euro gas in there now but prefer propane

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks I have an LPG app. But being lazy the two very convenient Shell garages will no longer be an option...there are others :)

@DavidG58 European LPG a mix of propane and butane. UK propane... Have euro gas in there now but prefer propane

Another school day, where am I supposed to store all the data I keep on learning :)

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
To me it sounds like either filling point was inside locker (big no no) or using an adaptor. Interesting point from fire service!

Can you please clarify why a filling point inside the locker is a big no.
I cant find any thing to back up your claim

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

I think it only opens up the potential that an adaptor is being incorrectly used

In theory I guess you could have an external fill point still connected to Calor or other bottles through such an unauthorised adaptor

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger

I maybe wrong, but I believe it's because the forecourt operator might think you're up to something doggy like using some illegal filling system. Mines in the locker and personally I thinks it's better as I can double check the valve is off and see what going on! I've never had any issue re-filling either at home or abroad but have been thinking about changing my current set up to an external filler. £80 ish from Gaslow, probably cheaper from ebay.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Anyone who bought the current market leader of LPG Cylinders, GasLow may have picked up their brochure and found this information on the third page:
' FILLING OF USER OWNED, PORTABLE REFILLABLE LPG CYLINDERS AT AUTOGAS REFUELLING SITES'...the French started this off late 2013

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I use this website to check out the price \ location for filling with diesel (don't have user refillable LPG fitted) www.petrolprices.com.
You can do the same for LPG on there.
Might be of benefit to those looking for this. Whether they accept motorhomes filling for habitation use though?????

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think it only opens up the potential that an adaptor is being incorrectly used

In theory I guess you could have an external fill point still connected to Calor or other bottles through such an unauthorised adaptor

Just thinking about my own post, we have Gaslo with external fill point, but the fitting to the cylinders is identical to our old Calor, a useful option we have is reverting back to Calor if we ever should run out

Not that I would ever dream of, or dare to do, I could by design or by accident refill a Calor bottle via my external fill point

Scary thought

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I use this website to check out the price \ location for filling with diesel (don't have user refillable LPG fitted) www.petrolprices.com.
You can do the same for LPG on there.
Might be of benefit to those looking for this. Whether they accept motorhomes filling for habitation use though?????

@MinxyGirl advises on another thread that this website may not be that good for LPG. Sorry for bum steer!:doh::blush:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
At ONE Morrisons,near a M/H. Builders.(Next street). You will often see brand new and returning customers filling with LPG.I witnessed one unit,reverse into the pump bay between the Diesel and LPG pumps and fill both diesel and LPG at the same time....NO Problem. Witness ? The company hand over chap,NO problem,however,i can now see that the forecourt staff have a problem..... Thanks.
Tea Bag
PS. I will still be in Morrisons in about a fortnight at,"X"... LOL even if i cannot refill the gas tank,to catch up with my,Liver and Bacon lunch in the cafe. Never say Never, oh and Wave? Only if i get a table near a window LOL!!!

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
What planet are you on?
The ban was already officially in place!
All I have done is clarify the situation! As mentioned in a previous post the same letter circulated on the site previously.
Do you normally fill up at Morrisons? Or are you just jumping on the band wagon?
I spent well over a grand for my LPG system to be fitted to industry standard not some £19.99 crackpot adaptor for illegally refilling calorgas bottles.
If you want to blame anyone for this becoming a problem blame the people using these adapters! They are the ones directly at fault for creating the problem Morrisons are trying to solve.
Using LPG saves money and for people like me gives extra capacity, people who use these illegal adapters save even more but at the same time put everyone who they drive passed or pitch up next life's at risk.
As previously mentioned my system cost over a grand, there are some cheaper and some dearer but with my usage they had paid for themself in just over a year.
So to sum it up next time you try to blame someone look at the big picture because in my eyes my friend it is those people and their £19.99 illegal refill adapters 100% at fault for creating the problem in the first place, end of!
[/QUOTE]
Yes i fill up at Morrisons(Cambourn) in case you want to drop them a line and i have a professionally fitted Gaslow with outside filler
Your right we are definately from different planets . There are numerous posts trying to justify your actions which have only resulted in future problems for us . I am not going any further with this discussion and i find the description MY FRIEND a little over the top but no doubt you will be back for the final word !!!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
This is FUN,so,following on eddievanbitz post Should we write to the DVLA/Police and ask what their policy is on going over,say,30?40?60? or 70 mph ?. I for one,will elect to "Apologise",for failing to proceed at the correct speed,nay,Grovel!!! LOL.
Tea Bag Devils....Advocaat ? Spelling...LOL

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Yes i fill up at Morrisons(Cambourn) in case you want to drop them a line and i have a professionally fitted Gaslow with outside filler
Your right we are definately from different planets . There are numerous posts trying to justify your actions which have only resulted in future problems for us . I am not going any further with this discussion and i find the description MY FRIEND a little over the top but no doubt you will be back for the final word !!![/QUOTE]

I often have a breakfast there(y) at Morrisons Cambourne , ill keep an eye out for MH,s refilling their LPG and duly report :)

Its all a bit like when I used to fill up two 25 liter containers with petrol for my boat , nobody really gave a hoot about it except one young lady who at a BP garage who scolded me for filling up my tanks as it was illegal to store that much petrol ,

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
Your right we are definately from different planets . There are numerous posts trying to justify your actions which have only resulted in future problems for us . I am not going any further with this discussion and i find the description MY FRIEND a little over the top but no doubt you will be back for the final word !!![/QUOTE]
Of course I will

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
What makes you think I have to justify my actions to you or anyone? You come across as arrogant self appointed master of all. There is a huge difference between justify and clarify !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back