Morrisons Blanket Ban On Refilling All Lpg Tanks And Bottles (2 Viewers)

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
So just to clarify, I can or cannot fill my calor bottle at morrisons.

Have I wasted £30 on my eBay adapter?

Thanks in advance

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

Thanks in advance
I think you will find you are breaking the contract between you and Calor gas. Which you took out when you 'rented' their cylinder, and they specifically state only Calor can refill.

I also believe you can only legally fill a cylinder on a forecourt to 80% so how you are going to acurately measure that is an issue.

I am assuming the 80% limit is there to protect the cylinder from being stressed from regular 100% fillings which may cause structural issues on the cylinder itself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I am assuming the 80% limit is there to protect the cylinder from being stressed from regular 100% fillings which may cause structural issues on the cylinder itself.

The 80% limit is to prevent the liquid LPG from entering the regulator. The gap allows the gas to form. LPG expands 600 times from liquid to gas so if that gets in the pipelines it would flare beyond your control.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The 80% limit is to prevent the liquid LPG from entering the regulator. The gap allows the gas to form. LPG expands 600 times from liquid to gas so if that gets in the pipelines it would flare beyond your control.
Thanks for the clarification, certainly my experience with steel compressed air tanks is they are damaged and weakened by overfilling.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The 80% limit is to prevent the liquid LPG from entering the regulator.

But more important, fill to 100% and the liquid is naturally very cold and therefore "small". Now you drive along on the sunny day, the liquid heats up, it expands, it has nowhere to go apart from the safety vent valve, so liquid LPG is forced out of the vent and if there is anything nearby to ignite it you are in deep deep poo.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
But more important, fill to 100% and the liquid is naturally very cold and therefore "small". Now you drive along on the sunny day, the liquid heats up, it expands, it has nowhere to go apart from the safety vent valve, so liquid LPG is forced out of the vent and if there is anything nearby to ignite it you are in deep deep poo.
Spot on, Brian. Any liquid needs an ullage space for expansion and contraction. On ships we used to fill to 98% full; having seen a liquid gas ship tank overflow (despite the safety shut offs) it is neither a pretty nor safe sight.......

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I am currently stuck with using Calor Gas so I don't and never have used LPG fuel pumps on garage forecourts. I am however interested in having such a system so I can enjoy the fuel saving.

If you have a vehicle powered by LPG then it is presumably turned off when you fill up.

This might not be the case with a motorhome where the gas could be on and lights up the pilot light for the fridge when the engine is turned off on the forecourt if the fridge was set to auto?

Does the act of refilling your tanks mean than the tank supply is shut off automatically so that the fridge pilot light goes out.

Perhaps someone has seen the potential risk of motorhomes having naked flames on their forecourts though in that case they would probably ban us altogether rather than just for gas?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I assume if you go to Morrisons to fill your car with LPG after converting it at home yourself, they will certify your installation as conforming to the Industry Standard and allow you to fill up at the same time?

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I am currently stuck with using Calor Gas so I don't and never have used LPG fuel pumps on garage forecourts. I am however interested in having such a system so I can enjoy the fuel saving.

If you have a vehicle powered by LPG then it is presumably turned off when you fill up.

This might not be the case with a motorhome where the gas could be on and lights up the pilot light for the fridge when the engine is turned off on the forecourt if the fridge was set to auto?

Does the act of refilling your tanks mean than the tank supply is shut off automatically so that the fridge pilot light goes out.

Perhaps someone has seen the potential risk of motorhomes having naked flames on their forecourts though in that case they would probably ban us altogether rather than just for gas?

I think you will find that an Auto Fridge AES has a time delay before gas kicks in, for the very reason you stated.

:cooler:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

The gas for the fridge in my van is disabled for 15 minutes after I turn off the engine to allow for refuelling the LPG tank. There is a sticker in the van and the handbook that tells me this. It also says if I will be filling the tank for longer than 15 minutes after turning off the engine, to turn the main gas tap off first to stop the fridge burner igniting.
I don't buy petrol diesel or lpg or food fr Morrisons, so their well thought out logic won't effect me.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The time delay is an excellent idea. I had not realised that. Thanks for the responses. All sounds pretty safe to me other than those who are refilling calor or similar type bottles themselves.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We use the Wakefield one with no trouble, if you go anywhere near either Morley or Honley the first is autogas station and second a texaco station it's only 47.9p per litre
Wheres the LPG pump at asda Morley. Ive not noticed it?

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Recently whilst reading a back issue of a motorhome magazine I came across an item which said Morrisons have introduced a blanket ban on motorhomes and caravans using the LPG pumps at their stations to fill up domestic gas. Now over the last few months I have filled up at their stations with no problems.
So I decided to call Morrisons head office to clarify the situation as UKLPG.ORG say it is fine to use autogas pumps to fill fixed tanks with external filling point as does the industry guidelines that I shared on another post.
I was on the phone for over an hour 10 days ago and no one could give me a answer however this morning I received an email from them confirming they had indeed a blanket ban in place.
Please read the following reply and leave constructive Response and I will reply to their idiotic blanket ban.
Good morning Mr Stancliffe

Thank you for contacting Morrisons

The safety of our customers and colleagues is our paramount concern. We take great care to
ensure that our petrol stations are safe environments and apply robust controls to reduce
the risk of fire and explosion and comply with all relevant health and safety legislation.

The LPG pumps on our forecourts are designed for use with automotive LPG tanks. For
safety reasons we do not allow the refuelling of other types of tank, such as portable
cylinders or fixed tanks used to power domestic appliances in caravans and motorhomes.

We are aware that some domestic tanks or portable cylinders are adapted or designed for
use with automotive LPG pumps. However, our forecourt operators are not in a position to
determine whether a system meets strict industry guidelines and can be considered safe.

We apologise if this causes any inconvenience, but believe that a blanket ban on the
refuelling of non-automotive LPG tanks is the best way to ensure the safety of our customers
and colleagues.

Many thanks

Daniel Wilkinson
Customer Services
Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC
I feel this knee-jerk re-action has been brought about by caravanners/motor caravanners who have been filling CYLINDERS,in some cases NON-REFILLABLE cylinders on forecourts using adaptors that have been obtained on the internet,and "guessing" what 80% is I have been told by many a caravanner/ m/caravanner that they have done this some even bragging that they take the cylinders to forcourts in the boot of their cars to fill using this method,a typical example of a minority spoiling it for the rest of us responsible m/caravanners,I've no doubt that this will eventually spread to others companies' forecourts,making our bona fide properly install
-ed refillable systems redundant,because they are too bloody tight to buy a proper system.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
As Morrisons state, their rules are for the safety of all their customers not just the half dozen motorhomes who are looking for a cheep refill.......;) Any retort will be seen by the masses as just another gripe by caravan dwellers.:)
Morrison's in Swansea has taken their LPG pump out,I wonder why.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I did read that some BP service stations are removing Autogas pumps cos they not profitable.
I fill mine at the Shell garage on the Ollerton roundabout on the A614

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's not stirring anything up!
We spend most of our time off grid in the wilds and sometimes we may have a 50 mile round trip to a LPG station and the last thing we want is to get there and be refused.
The fact of the matter is they are going against industry guidelines which state autogas pumps can be used by motorhomes if filling point is a permanent fixture on the outside of the van.
I did ask for constructive comments to send back to Morrisons ! ;-)
What you forget is they are within their legal rigjts to refuse serving anyone for any reason.

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
And now a problem thanks to you
What planet are you on?
The ban was already officially in place!
All I have done is clarify the situation! As mentioned in a previous post the same letter circulated on the site previously.
Do you normally fill up at Morrisons? Or are you just jumping on the band wagon?
I spent well over a grand for my LPG system to be fitted to industry standard not some £19.99 crackpot adaptor for illegally refilling calorgas bottles.
If you want to blame anyone for this becoming a problem blame the people using these adapters! They are the ones directly at fault for creating the problem Morrisons are trying to solve.
Using LPG saves money and for people like me gives extra capacity, people who use these illegal adapters save even more but at the same time put everyone who they drive passed or pitch up next life's at risk.
As previously mentioned my system cost over a grand, there are some cheaper and some dearer but with my usage they had paid for themself in just over a year.
So to sum it up next time you try to blame someone look at the big picture because in my eyes my friend it is those people and their £19.99 illegal refill adapters 100% at fault for creating the problem in the first place, end of![/QUOTE]

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Thanks in advance

You can't legally fill your Calor bottles yourself anywhere so yes, you've wasted your £30

The only bottles you should be filling yourself are ones designed for the purpose with proper filler points and safety devices e.g. Gaslow, Gasit, Alugas.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The ban was already officially in place!

But not being enforced. If they start enforcing it now as a result of you contacting them it really is your fault.

Forget their letter to you, there isn't a single instance anyone can come up with of someone being refused at Morrisons before you stirred them up.

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
But not being enforced. If they start enforcing it now as a result of you contacting them it really is your fault.

Not at all! It's the fault of the people who caused the problem in the first place illegally refilling bottle with adapters from eBay!.

I have just been reading the item that caused the problem have a read and draw your own conclusion.
To me it sounds like either filling point was inside locker (big no no) or using an adaptor. Interesting point from fire service!
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.../eccles-morrisons-petrol-station-fire-7154094

OP
OP
Andi968

Andi968

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
Fenay Bridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TributeT725
Exp
5 year
Give the guy a break! If I'd have seen the article in MMM, I would have written to Morrisons myself asking for clarification.
If you do see anything important and write to anyone, do yourself a favour and keep it to yourself and avoid a witch hunt ⚡⚡❄️

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries