Morrisons Blanket Ban On Refilling All Lpg Tanks And Bottles

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Andi968, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Andi968

Andi968

Recently whilst reading a back issue of a motorhome[​IMG] magazine I came across an item which said Morrisons have introduced a blanket ban on motorhomes and caravans using the LPG pumps at their stations to fill up domestic gas. Now over the last few months I have filled up at their stations with no problems.
    So I decided to call Morrisons head office to clarify the situation as UKLPG.ORG say it is fine to use autogas pumps to fill fixed tanks with external filling point as does the industry guidelines that I shared[​IMG] on another post.
    I was on the phone for over an hour 10 days ago and no one could give me a answer however this morning I received an email from them confirming[​IMG] they had indeed a blanket ban in place.
    Please read the following reply and leave constructive Response and I will reply to their idiotic blanket ban.
    Good morning Mr Stancliffe

Thank you for contacting Morrisons

The safety of our customers and colleagues is our paramount concern. We take great care to
    ensure that our petrol stations are safe environments and apply robust controls to reduce
    the risk of fire and explosion and comply with all relevant health and safety legislation.

The LPG pumps on our forecourts are designed for use with automotive LPG tanks. For
    safety reasons we do not allow the refuelling of other types of tank, such as portable
    cylinders or fixed tanks used to power domestic appliances in caravans and motorhomes.

We are aware that some domestic tanks or portable cylinders are adapted or designed for
    use with automotive LPG pumps. However, our forecourt operators are not in a position to
    determine whether a system meets strict industry guidelines and can be considered safe.

We apologise if this causes any inconvenience, but believe that a blanket ban on the
    refuelling of non-automotive LPG tanks is the best way to ensure the safety of our customers
    and colleagues.

Many thanks

Daniel Wilkinson
    Customer Services
    Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC

2. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

And no doubt a copy of which, has gone to all branches with a view to possible enforcement, by staff.

I fear all you may have done is stir something up, that was best left unstirred.

If it 'aint broke don't fix it!

:cooler:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 15
  3. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

At present my local Shell self-serve station not only allows refilling of fixed outlet MH tanks, their attendant is more than happy to pump the gas for you.

However, on the pump is a sign saying it's for automotive fuel use only with duty paid. This may be one to watch.

4. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Yes I too regularly filled at Morrisons, but probably no more after that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Perhaps, but bear in mind that the ban was already in force. I believe that little can be done as Morrisons can hide behind the HSE card until the cows come home. Not a defeatist, but a realist

6. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

If you have an external filling point how will the staff know the gas is for powering domestic appliances and not for powering the vehicle? As said above if it aint broke don't fix it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We refueled at Morrisons at Spalding in May. The positioning of the pumps was such that we could fill the (Alugas) gas bottles and then the diesel without moving the van then pay for both together. The till operator didn't say anything about a ban and obviously authorised both pumps.

I recall that a week or two beforehand @Munchie posted that he had filled his has bottles at Morrisons Boroughbridge.

• Like Like x 1
  8. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Just pull on the pump so as the Kiosk cannot see you filling..

By the time they get wind you would have filled up.. :)

• Like Like x 6
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

this is a crap excuse..

if this is the case, the attendants need training.. or at least the person in charge of the forecourt

in saying that it is nothing new,, I was refused gas at a French station, reason given they do not sell for 'cooking' gas

10. mariner

The ban may well have been in place but obviously not enforced because I and many others have filled at Morrisons, but reminding them that staff are to ensure that the ban is enforced was probably not a good idea.
    It only takes a staff member to refuse to switch on the LPG pump until you prove that it is for motive use only, and that, as they say, is the end of that.

11. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

I believe this was a knee jerk reaction to the fire caused by a bad installation on a motorhome in manchester. was reported on here last year with links to news articles and photos

• Like Like x 3
  12. Andi968

Andi968

It's not stirring anything up!
    We spend most of our time off grid in the wilds and sometimes we may have a 50 mile round trip to a LPG station and the last thing we want is to get there and be refused.
    The fact of the matter is they are going against industry guidelines which state autogas pumps can be used by motorhomes if filling point is a permanent fixture on the outside of the van.
    I did ask for constructive comments to send back to Morrisons ! ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Sod morrisons I have told Elaine to go to Asda instead the yanks can have our money now
    We normally fill with gas a Wakefield so I will try next week to see what happens if they refuse a kind Asian gent half a mile will happily oblige and charge me a penny a litre more

• Like Like x 2
  14. Andi968

Andi968

We use the Wakefield one with no trouble, if you go anywhere near either Morley or Honley the first is autogas station and second a texaco station it's only 47.9p per litre

15. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Probably just tell them that they are: going against industry guidelines.

They need to take a pro active approach to staff training, I mean even a Morrisons worker can probably recognise the difference between an external filler and an illegal Ebay one directly attached to a gas cylinder.

They will lose custom from motorhomers!!!

Anyway thanks for the heads up I am definately fitting an external pipe on my new gas set up and no in locker filler inlet.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mariner

I was merely pointing out, that sometimes saying nowt, can be the best option!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I rarely practice what I preach either :rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Andi968

Andi968

This is part of the industry guidelines fact sheet found here
    http://www.uklpg.org/uploads/DOC4E7749E87E660.pdf

I have printed a copy out to produce as and when required
    August 2011
    Replaces UKLPG Information Sheet 24 – June 2007

FILLING OF USER OWNED, PORTABLE REFILLABLE LPG CYLINDERS AT AUTOGAS REFUELLING SITES

It is the advice from UKLPG that user owned, portable LPG cylinders should not be refilled at self service autogas refuelling sites.

Containers which are attached to a vehicle for heating or cooking (on camper vans or similar) present similar risks on filling to those for propulsion purposes and may be permitted to be re-filled at autogas refuelling sites provided they:

 are not removed for refilling; and are secured in a suitable enclosure; and are fitted with an internal device to physically prevent filling beyond 80%; and  are connected to a fixed filling connector which is not part of the container.

UK Health and Safety Regulations, made under the Health and Safety at Work Act, including the:

• Like Like x 5
  19. Tootles

Tootles Funster

That letter has been seen on here before, it has been their policy for years.

20. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

"We" are the victims of the people who use dodgy ebay adaptors to illegally fill Calor cylinders. What they are saying is quite reasonable.

• Like Like x 5