Morocco hit by flash floods.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Brisey, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

:doh:

I know some areas need rain but they are not geared up for that !!!!!!
    Definatly would not like to be caught up in that, would be bad enough here in Uk...

3. Jandek

Jandek Funster

How petrifying! Do we know if any funsters are down there yet? Praying they are safe

4. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Crikey - we went through Guelmim last year hope its dries up before people arrive there this year. I recall Makems were stuck at Tagazhoute Beach last year after heavy rain plus there had been a landslip on the main road. The wheels on their Burstner were well entrenched in mud which had all dried up by the time we got to Tagazhoute. However Mike dug round all the wheels and placed rocks under the wheels which enabled Gwen to slip out of their pitch unaided and with relative ease.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

WOW. Not the Morocco we know.

6. makems

makems Funster Life Member

It's wrong to like this but thanks for bringing to attention Brian.
    We got stuck because I thought the sand was firm but it just had a dry crust over some quite soft wet sand. We drove on it OK but when I put the ramps out and Gwen tried to drive on them the van just dug itself in up to the axles
    At this point we were nearly level so we just left it for two weeks by which time the sand was dry enough to get ourselves out.
    If you are going to Morocco make sure you have a shovel as you may need it to dig yourself out of a situation like that.
    We had a similar situation the previous year too when we were nearly cut off from civilisation (well Zagora to be be precise) by rising flood water and got stuck in soft mud. I had to deflate the tyres that time to dig us out.
    I'll never forget seeing a lake 5 miles long and two miles wide in the Sahara desert after the rains that year.
    If it rains in Morocco it absolutely pisses down and usually for hours at a time. In 2013 It rained heavily for 36 hours non stop hence the floods.

7. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Very scary indeed ... sad that lives were lost when their need for water is so great