LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
OK thanks for that! Had a read of the link which refers to attacks in 2003/ 2004 but nothing after ?
I.M.O. to make such an alarmist claim on the basis of one individual's (terrorist on French Train) nationality is unjustified. Especially when one knows a lot of people will be following this thread and contemplating travelling to Morocco for the first time and may be put off from travelling.
Would you have said do not travel to the U.S.A. if this person was American ?
My advice is simple, if you are contemplating travelling to Morocco or any other country for that matter is to follow the advice from the Foreign Office.
sorry it doesnt fit with your agenda and that the page hasnt been updated recently. 11 years ago there were known terror cells in morroco. now there are a great many more and plenty who sympathise with Islamic State's agenda.

if my post makes a few people think of possible consequences of their naievity then that has got to be a good thing. too many people in the west are so arrogant about how they seek pleasure in a poor country. most morrocans could never in 10 lifetimes afford to buy a motorhome. holidaying over there and rubbing their noses in your obvious trappings of wealth is just so wrong on too many levels.

you carry on kidding yourself that it was just one random disaffected youth. what of the ones that throw stones as you pass? give them access to guns from neighbouring countries and it wont just be stones next time.

and are you that selfish that you dont consider the risks that others will have to make to save you if anything happens? insurance policies are void in cases of war, insurrection and terrorism. or are you going to say that you knew that already?

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
sorry it doesnt fit with your agenda and that the page hasnt been updated recently. 11 years ago there were known terror cells in morroco. now there are a great many more and plenty who sympathise with Islamic State's agenda.

if my post makes a few people think of possible consequences of their naievity then that has got to be a good thing. too many people in the west are so arrogant about how they seek pleasure in a poor country. most morrocans could never in 10 lifetimes afford to buy a motorhome. holidaying over there and rubbing their noses in your obvious trappings of wealth is just so wrong on too many levels.

you carry on kidding yourself that it was just one random disaffected youth. what of the ones that throw stones as you pass? give them access to guns from neighbouring countries and it wont just be stones next time.

and are you that selfish that you dont consider the risks that others will have to make to save you if anything happens? insurance policies are void in cases of war, insurrection and terrorism. or are you going to say that you knew that already?
What a load of condescending shite

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
no point trying to reason with some folk....just don't want to hear it. and any other opinion is condescending bullshit:mad::mad:

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
no point trying to reason with some folk....just don't want to hear it. and any other opinion is condescending bullshit:mad::mad:
To be honest I found your post pathetic and alarmist, I will be going again (4th time)with a loved one and to surgest that I am selfish naive and kidding myself
and don't want to hear anything negative Is way off the mark. I stick with my original statement.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
good for you, hope you enjoy the experience again

OP
OP
horshamjack
Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
There's not many countries in Europe that haven't experienced terrorist attacks, there are cells operating everywhere, if we all worried like yourself we wouldn't open our front doors let alone use our vans and explore:D
See you all in Jan, (y)

May 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2006
Pah @TheBig1 I think the Funsters who are going to Morocco have been around long enough to know what they are doing. @TerryL @CherryPirate & other Funsters talked about their previous experiences in Morocco & and provided a wealth of interesting information about it at Malvern. Go and enjoy yourselves all Funsters who are going, we wish we could go ourselves but unfortunately can't next year.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I think it's a shame that people can't have opposing views without it resorting to taunts and mild insults.

Maybe the 'current' situation is somewhere in the middle of these views. Morocco isn't what is was a year or two ago and yet will never as bad as the press would have us believe. There is obviously a new political and religious movement around from the Middle East across to and down from Morocco and in our experience this was always going to happen after spending many many evenings sitting in internet cafes talking with young people of all ages and types, they were, under the surface very angry about the life their rulers/politicians had promised them but didn't deliver.

We found people in North Africa were always unfailingly open, generous and extremely helpful and never ever felt threatened except in a minor way occasionally from officialdom in it's varying forms, but there was an underlying ground swell of discontent from young people.

Can also say that we often read Foreign Office advice on a country we were to visit and understand they have to err on the side of caution, but usually made the decision as to whether or not to go somewhere based on people who were coming out of that country, so the people with the most up to date on the ground experiences.

A while ago we really wanted to visit southern Algeria entering from Tunisia, the Foreign Office said no but we met quite a few German, Dutch and French travellers who were travelling there. At the time their government advised them to be cautious but didn't advise them not to go. We turned up at the southern most Tunisia / Algeria border but were refused entry as we didn't/ couldn't get a visa as we were British. We were happy to attempt to visit southern Algeria as from what we heard from fellow long distance travellers we felt the chances of a problem were negligible.

If you stay at home with the doors locked you may be safe you will never do anything, and 'safe' is relative too. Just look at the poor people on the train in France and those on the road near the air show last weekend...

My points are -

Everyone has their own point of view and makes their own decisions, but the decisions must be based on factual information, not media hype. The people who last winter were in Morocco have the most up to date information but that may or may not be out of date. But if we don't ever take the odd chance here and there we wouldn't cross a road again... but each must make their own decisions.

What most people in north Africa really want is their own version of what we in Europe have, a comfortable and pleasant life that they are prepared to work for given the chance.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Having done Morocco twice in the past 3 years, comments made by Moroccans include their anger at the loss of income from tourists due to exaggerated news to sell newspapers. They want the tourism, they need the tourism, and we do not rub their noses in what we own.
We spend money daily, from shopping in the markets to lunch in a one horse town.
The locals being the main benificaries from our spending.
Personally, I will see what happens over the next few months.
After all, 9/11 didn't stop tourists going to America.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
nice to hear that some intelligent members don't attack others with an opposing opinion to their own.

My attitude to managing terrorist risks may be different to others, but I spent part of my working life in Northern Ireland during the troubles. This was high risk in nature and before we travelled out each time a risk assessment had to be carried out. On numerous occasions I was in a situation where bombs went off locally and had loaded guns from both sides pointed at me. Let me say to anyone who has never had this experience, it really wakes you up to the consequences of your actions. In that situation we were told to keep our mouths shut, but if forced to talk avoid politics or religion. Whatever you do avoid provoking the locals especially if they are armed

That all carries through to my opinions of what is an obvious risk currently in North Africa and across the middle east. I believe its not a place for white western people, especially those with relative wealth on show. Yes the vast majority of Morrocans are peaceful and law abiding, and actively encourage tourism. However the fanatics, unlike here (at the moment anyway) have guns and explosives. The point is that you need to understand the risks you take when you decide to travel there

too many people are like sheep and just follow where others go without thinking. I will ask again, who realises that their insurances are void in warzones, civil unrest and acts of terrorism?

I am not trying to pick a fight or cause an argument on the forum. I would rather see reasoned debate respecting the opinions of others even where you disagree. This isnt a school playground where the bully who shouts loudest wins. We are all adults and most are educated so I see no need for insults

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We are all entitled to voice an opinion, it's just that some people are more forceful about it than others!

For everyone's information, at this time the UK government class France and Spain as High Risk of terrorism where as Morocco is classed as Average.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/morocco

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
nice to hear that some intelligent members don't attack others with an opposing opinion to their own.

My attitude to managing terrorist risks may be different to others, but I spent part of my working life in Northern Ireland during the troubles. This was high risk in nature and before we travelled out each time a risk assessment had to be carried out. On numerous occasions I was in a situation where bombs went off locally and had loaded guns from both sides pointed at me. Let me say to anyone who has never had this experience, it really wakes you up to the consequences of your actions. In that situation we were told to keep our mouths shut, but if forced to talk avoid politics or religion. Whatever you do avoid provoking the locals especially if they are armed

That all carries through to my opinions of what is an obvious risk currently in North Africa and across the middle east. I believe its not a place for white western people, especially those with relative wealth on show. Yes the vast majority of Morrocans are peaceful and law abiding, and actively encourage tourism. However the fanatics, unlike here (at the moment anyway) have guns and explosives. The point is that you need to understand the risks you take when you decide to travel there

too many people are like sheep and just follow where others go without thinking. I will ask again, who realises that their insurances are void in warzones, civil unrest and acts of terrorism?

I am not trying to pick a fight or cause an argument on the forum. I would rather see reasoned debate respecting the opinions of others even where you disagree. This isnt a school playground where the bully who shouts loudest wins. We are all adults and most are educated so I see no need for insults

My brother had a 6 month working contract in NI during the Troubles and he made decisions on known facts, as obviously you did too. Both of you went ahead and worked there as that was your assessment at the time, no different to others deciding on to go or not to go to Morocco this winter providing they are doing it on known facts.

Can understand your views TheBig1, not sure how many of us have had guns pointed at them in anger (I haven't), but personally although I have also had the odd unpleasant situation it has helped me learn a little better when to take chances and when not.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I did 3 tours of Northern Ireland. However, that was 45 years ago and it's well and truly in the past. In all of my tours I never knew of anyone who was in a situation where he frequently had guns pointing at him from both sides. (and how would a person know this anyway!).
You indicate people are not capable of making an informed decision about travelling to Morocco and IMO add insult to injury by stating too many are like sheep. You are wrong! wrong! wrong!
Members on here are mostly mature educated intelligent people and can decide for them selves if it's safe to travel to a particular destination or not. I dont see the need for you to continue to repeat yourself about lack of Insurance cover other than scaremongering, Let members decide for themselves and move on .
Incidentally, and as an aside, this Moroccan terrorist you referred to earlier has not been in Morocco since 2007 and since then has spent all of his time in Spain and France. Perhaps he was a sleeper LOL

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I did 3 tours of Northern Ireland. However, that was 45 years ago and it's well and truly in the past. In all of my tours I never knew of anyone who was in a situation where he frequently had guns pointing at him from both sides. (and how would a person know this anyway!).
You indicate people are not capable of making an informed decision about travelling to Morocco and IMO add insult to injury by stating too many are like sheep. You are wrong! wrong! wrong!
Members on here are mostly mature educated intelligent people and can decide for them selves if it's safe to travel to a particular destination or not. I dont see the need for you to continue to repeat yourself about lack of Insurance cover other than scaremongering, Let members decide for themselves and move on .
Incidentally, and as an aside, this Moroccan terrorist you referred to earlier has not been in Morocco since 2007 and since then has spent all of his time in Spain and France. Perhaps he was a sleeper LOL
what on God's earth are you so scared of? Maybe me raising the issue has touched a nerve, sorry for that. Perhaps as you know so much about it, you would answer the questions this discussion has raised. or are you not able to do so without admitting inconvenient truths?

No I am not scaremongering as you are so insistent. I am raising genuine concerns that you appear to want hushed up

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
@TheBig1 We have been to Morocco twice in the last few years and would happily go again taking into consideration what was the situation at time of leaving UK . I think if you honestly think people who travel Europe and beyond are not capable of weighing up the dos and don'ts and making their own informed decisions quite naive .
I always think a point made once maybe twice worth merit but when it had to be repeated more than that then it just becomes pointless.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I always think a point made once maybe twice worth merit but when it had to be repeated more than that then it just becomes pointless
I agree but dont appreciate bullies who refuse to accept a different opinion

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I agree but dont appreciate bullies who refuse to accept a different opinion
I don't think anyone is being a bully, but your opinion is that anyone intending to go to Morocco is blind to the risks, like a sheep and foolish - your words. That sort of post is bound to get people's hackles up.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I

I was in Marrakech and Essaouira in late May and have to say Mr big one you are talking rubbish. FYI there are no armed marauding Moroccans waiting to be provoked, that I saw or heard about anyway. I particularly liked the relaxed nature of the Moroccans who unlike the Egyptians generally do business in an honest way. I saw plenty of people motorhoming without apparent problems. If it was say a border with Israel like the Sinai these people were going to then yes there may be some concern......and I can tell you that from in depth experience!!!

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
never mind if you look at itv you can see what its like in benidorm .
might even spot a few off fun before they got a m,home . ha ha .

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Look forward to seeing lots of funsters in Morocco again this year. You know who you are!
Also any new reckless motorhomers prepared to travel without insurance like us for the third year running.
We are all waiting for you to go first again, then if you get shot at we won't bother. (y):imoutahere:

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
We are all waiting for you to go first again, then if you get shot at we won't bother. (y):imoutahere:
Not crossing til after spanish new year this time.
Bit nervous, heard rumours on a forum thingy!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back