Morocco 2016 - Any changed minds? (1 Viewer)

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Given the events in Sharm el Sheik, Fez, Turkey and the horror in France this week, is anybody planning a trip to Morocco this winter having second thoughts?
Have been to Morocco on 3 visits in past years, only 1 by MH, and always had a fabulous, incident free time, but have a growing reluctance to go ahead this year. Our plan is only embryonic in anycase depending on Christmas visitors etc., and would not happen until mid January.
Guess it is wait and see time, given where we live a last minute dash is easily arranged.

Bryan

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I wouldn't go to Morocco by Motorhome before these recent events BUT we did go trekking in May in the anti Atlas and had a wonderful time. This introduced us to a great guide - Mohammed - who we bonded with really well, enough to invite him to stay with us if he visits Spain and this invitation would still stand. It's a real shame that recent events in other parts of the world impact on people's lives everywhere.

I don't know whether this answers your question or not but felt the need to respond!

20150528_153709.jpg

Mohammed on the trek (fantastic guy)

20150526_080557.jpg

Me and Mohammed sharing a few minutes of contemplation!

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Probably best asking this on the Morocco 2016 thread if you want answers. I don't see why any members will change there minds unless the threat levels change for the worse in Moroc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Probably best asking this on the Morocco 2016 thread if you want answers. I don't see why any members will change there minds unless the threat levels change for the worse in Moroc.

Didn't want to jinx 2016 thread with my negative vibes!;)

Bryan

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
In a more serious mode in answer to your question no we will not be going now or anytime soon. The threat level is just too high for us, so we won't be going.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
No, but a security spokesman used the word for London status.

Bryan
yes.. but that is a domestic threat level.. as per the link in my first post

clearly there is a greater threat in Syria than Morocco..

but the FCO don't give a scale other than Low, Med, & High for foreign travel .. hence my question..

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I suppose the same question could be asked about France.
Is anybody deciding not to go to France because of the clear and present danger of terrorism there?

Deleted User
Is anybody deciding not to go to France because of the clear and present danger of terrorism there?

I think there is a clear and present danger in any major European city from terrorism.

Having said that rural France (and rural Europe) are as safe as you can get anywhere in today's political climate.

So I wouldn't change my European plans.

I think the danger (perceived or not) in Arab countries is higher and for that reason will be giving them all a wide berth.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We will be going to France next year but will shy away from big cities as we don't like them. Rural France is lovely and I would imagine a safer place to be.

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Be interesting to know/see how many French vans will be Morocco bound this winter.

Bryan

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Would the insurance company cover bullet holes on the van i wonder. We are not in the process of stopping our trips to France.lol

Serious question beyond the humour in your post. Anybody aware of increased premiums for health insurance, breakdown, recovery or indeed, any insurance requests rejected?

Bryan

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Be interesting to know/see how many French vans will be Morocco bound this winter.

Bryan

It was already tending towards zero before this. Allegedly 50,000 last year. Many of them upsetting FUNsters. So from this point of view, a good year to visit.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Eliane and I have had a very serious discussion this weekend over going to Morroco and I must admit the jury is still out
Our January plans will not change down into Spain for new year then it's going to be play it by ear any sign of trouble and we will be wintering in Portugal or Spain
I must admit we are under a lot of pressure from family to give Morocco a miss this time
But where do you find winter sun what are the alternatives
3 month in goa ?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
No doubt the French will advise their citizens not to travel to Morocco in 2016 as they did for 2015 after the attack last year. We estimated the number was down by about 60% so about 40% went and we certainly did not feel at risk. Before this atrocity in Paris on Friday Morocco was regarded as being no higher risk than Spain and France and I now suspect France will have a higher risk rating than other European countries.
We see no justifiable reason for not travelling to Morocco in several weeks time unless the terrorist risk rises.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
In a more serious mode in answer to your question no we will not be going now or anytime soon. The threat level is just too high for us, so we won't be going.
I would not be too alarmed at this, much of Europe is rated at a high risk with UK rated severe. Providing you use a bit of common sense and vigilant you will be fine. There will be thousands of motorhomes heading down to Spain, Portugal and Morocco this winter and they will be fine. How many motorhomes do you know or have heard off who have been attacked by terrorists in the last 5 years. I know of none. Also, there are members in this forum who are quick to condem Morocco and in my view have a bias aginst the country and/or perhaps Funsters who choose to go there.
The alternative is to sell your motorhome, lock your windows and dors and never leave your home.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
there are plenty of alternatives without selling your van... it doesn't need to be 'Morocco or Bust ' there is no shame in saying you wouldn't go.. or changing your mind.. each has to weight up the risks with the available information and make their own decision ..

when members say they wouldn't go, calling them 'doom merchants' or suggesting they have a bias against a country or the funsters going won't change the current threat level, perceived or otherwise .. it's also rude.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
there are plenty of alternatives without selling your van... it doesn't need to be 'Morocco or Bust ' there is no shame in saying you wouldn't go.. or changing your mind.. each has to weight up the risks with the available information and make their own decision ..

when members say they wouldn't go, calling them 'doom merchants' or suggesting they have a bias against a country or the funsters going won't change the current threat level, perceived or otherwise .. it's also rude.
I stand by what I say. There are members on here who repeatedly join a thread which has been started by others,with regard to Morocco and fundimentaly post negative comments.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Don't want to sound flippant but you can blow yourself up with a shitty boiler, but certain precautions, as with travel, should be taken, even then you never know, life is a risk but we still take chances don't we!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back