TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Philippft - dates aren't set in stone yet, we'll see what others would like to do. Couple of days either way isn't going to matter, although I'd like to avoid crossing at the weekend.

CherryPirate - would be great to see you again and for everybody, attendance at Bella Vista (or wherever) again isn't compulsory!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Don't you mean swmbo? Lol

No I don't mean swmbo. She does as she's told - and I have her permission to say so!:tounge:

For those who've asked for the notes, I've started a "Conversation" - as pm's don't seem to be here anymore. Hope it works.

I'll have another go at getting it onto Resources.

Latest list

1 TerryL
2 TucanoTwo
3 Abforfun
4 Philippft
5 Champers
6 Canopus
7 Busman
8 Timetraveller
9 Eamless
10 Theonlysue
11 dabhand
12 CherryPirate

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Simon if you are going to take the ferry to Santander or Bilbao send me a PM and I can let you have a discount code
Mike
Thanks Mike, PM sent (I think, if that's what a "conversation" is)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
For those who've asked for the notes, I've started a "Conversation" - as pm's don't seem to be here anymore. Hope it works.
Got them, very good, cheers

Simon

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Hi Terry could I have the notes as well please
Thanks

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Okay, seem now to have got the file sorted and it's available on Miscellaneous Resources. It's a Word document ('cos it's got some Arabic in it) but I'll sort out a text version if you can't read it. PM (or should I say conversation) me.

Anybody reading this thread who has very recently crossed to or from -Med, would appreciate it if you would have a look and let me know of any changes I should make.

The Moroccan authorities have recently issued a warning that they are expecting a terrorist attack organized by returning jihad fighters

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/morocco

You'll find that the same warning is given for most countries, including Europe. Not deriding it of course, just providing a balanced view.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Okay, seem now to have got the file sorted and it's available on Miscellaneous Resources. It's a Word document ('cos it's got some Arabic in it) but I'll sort out a text version if you can't read it. PM (or should I say conversation) me.

Anybody reading this thread who has very recently crossed to or from -Med, would appreciate it if you would have a look and let me know of any changes I should make.

You'll find that the same warning is given for most countries, including Europe. Not deriding it of course, just providing a balanced view.

Agreed but this was quite specific

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Ordered my green card today, 1st jan 120 days £17.50 comfort insurance. Will make main decision nearer time.
Thanks TerryL

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
Ours in the post also :cool: Same as Comfort 8th Jan 120 days
Leaving next Wed 12th meander down coming back to the UK next May/June

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have a couple of questions for Moroc and no doubt more later on.
1. Does it get cold at night like it does in Spain. I do see a lot of fleeces being worn in pictures so assume it does but how far down ! Marrakesh ?
2. How easy is it to get hold of a Propane bottle that will take a Spanish adapter/connection. (not a refill but an actual bottle).

Thanks in advance.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
My bloody insurer (Chaucer) don't do Morocco, policy cancelled £30 cancellation fee, took out new one with Axa, green card in post! Now whose doing the best ferry price?

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Has anyone done Santander or Bilbao in one journey, how long does it take and which port is best? cheers Simon

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I have a couple of questions for Moroc and no doubt more later on.
1. Does it get cold at night like it does in Spain. I do see a lot of fleeces being worn in pictures so assume it does but how far down ! Marrakesh ?
2. How easy is it to get hold of a Propane bottle that will take a Spanish adapter/connection. (not a refill but an actual bottle).

Thanks in advance.
1. Yes it gets very cold at noght due to the (normall) clear skies. And yes all the way down to the desert is cold at night.
2. All the gas bottles in Morocco will have a French fitting. Its the same as Gaslow bottles, so if you have Gaslow, your hoses will go straight on Moroccan bottles. If you haven,t got Gslow, just get a hose with a French fitting from fleabay. Gas bottles in Morocco are incredilbly cheap, so dont worry about having to buy one - you can keep it for the next time you go back!
Propane is very difficult to find in Morocco - its 99% butane. I did find a chap in Agadir who can supply propane but its differnt bottles (same fitting though) and a LOT more money.
My advice is just go with the flow and buy a Moroccan butane bottle.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Has anyone done Santander or Bilbao in one journey, how long does it take and which port is best? cheers Simon
My preference is Bilbao as when you exit the port you are straight on the motorway whereas in Santander you have to drive through the city centre. Also you can stay on the dockside overnight at Bilbao if the ferry arrives late evening or the night before departure. Its free and there is free wifi.

Nov 8, 2010
France 86
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
Since 2010
Ordered my green card today, 1st jan 120 days £17.50 comfort insurance. Will make main decision nearer time.
Thanks TerryL

:eek:
Just got our green card, 365 days, free from Safeguard (y)
Downloaded notes Terry, very useful, thanks.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
1. Yes it gets very cold at noght due to the (normall) clear skies. And yes all the way down to the desert is cold at night.
2. All the gas bottles in Morocco will have a French fitting. Its the same as Gaslow bottles, so if you have Gaslow, your hoses will go straight on Moroccan bottles. If you haven,t got Gslow, just get a hose with a French fitting from fleabay. Gas bottles in Morocco are incredilbly cheap, so dont worry about having to buy one - you can keep it for the next time you go back!
Propane is very difficult to find in Morocco - its 99% butane. I did find a chap in Agadir who can supply propane but its differnt bottles (same fitting though) and a LOT more money.

Thank you, this is helpful.
I have a Gaslow system fitted but do not want to disconnect any of the factory fitted hoses. However, this year in Spain I used a Gaslow hose with a spanish bottle conector at one end and a thread at the other which screwed into the Gaslow external filling point and this worked a treat. I should be able to get one for a French Bottle so that will solve that. Another question, can I connect a butane bottle to my Gaslow system when one of the bottles still has some propane in it. In other words, will they mix OK. I assume butane is OK for the 3 way fridge providing the outside temp does not fall to far.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Another question, can I connect a butane bottle to my Gaslow system when one of the bottles still has some propane in it. In other words, will they mix OK. I assume butane is OK for the 3 way fridge providing the outside temp does not fall to far.

As long as you only have the tap open on one bottle the gases aren't really mixed are they except for the first few minutes?
I had no problems, I just uncoupled the Gaslow number 1 bottle, put it in the garage and put a Moroccan cylinder in its place. Everything worked OK for me. Saves faffing about with external bottles every time you want to move on. On some guardian parking spots you probably don't want a bottle outside anyway although you would be fine at places like Tagazhoute and Tafraoute.
Although it gets cold at night in Morocco it is unlikely to get cold enough to freeze your butane (unless you are high up in the mountains). If it does, just switch to a Gaslow propane bottle.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We lasted nearly 60 days on 2 bottles
When we first left tagazout I bought one of the small dumpys for cooking out side a boiling water to try keep down our main gas use
We ran out about 4 days from Tangers so I fed the dumpy back in though barby point using a regulator and that got us back into portugul to re fill gaslows
Knowing what I know now learning of others I think I could survive for well over 60 days on our own bottles if I use local dumpys for boiling water and cooking where possible
Plus I have a plan to run fridge of invertor during day for as long as I dare using solar panels to keep things topped up

But this is for jan 2016 as we can't go this winter (dam)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks again. I only have two 6 kg Gaslow bottles and unable to get a larger bottle in the gas locker. From past experience I know that I can last for 22 day's using gas for Fridge & Cooking. (heating & hot water is diesel), This year (Jan.) in Spain I managed a whole month on a 13 KG Bottle. I've ordered French adapter and will fit this to my external fill point hose. Just don't fancy lugging a 13 KG gas bottle around Moroc but will manage I'm sure. I also have a small Camping Gaz bottle & hob as a reserve so will not starve.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Have you got a link for the hose with French fitting Mike? I have two propane bottles on an auto change over, do I cut in to this and put a T connector in? Cheers Simon

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I also have a small Camping Gaz bottle & hob as a reserve so will not starve.
We use the Moroccan equivalent of camping Gaz for cooking outside all the time. The bottles are unbelievably cheap - about 70p.
Yes you read that right - 70p!
If you've got diesel for heating and hot water AND use camping Gaz you might manage with the 2x6 kg bottles. And at the worst if you've got a hose with a French fitting you can but a local bottle.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Have you got a link for the hose with French fitting Mike? I have two propane bottles on an auto change over, do I cut in to this and put a T connector in? Cheers Simon
Just buy a Gaslow hose they will fit (no need to get the stainless steel version unless you plan to convert at some time in the future).
Remove one of the existing bottles and the hose from the changeover valve and replace them with the Moroccan bottle and Gaslow hose. Simples!
It goes without saying you need to turn the bottles off first and don't smoke while you're doing this!

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Simon, do you have a refillable system? If you do you connect the hose to your filler point. Dave

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
Are GasIt and Gaslow the same fittings ? I have 2 x 6kg bottles with auto changeover

IMG_1127.JPG

If not what would I need
Thanks in advance

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back