Rally Chat More rally's and meets needed? (1 Viewer)

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Been giving this a lot of thought especially now the winter is nearly upon us . Luckily for some they will be venturing of to warmer climates . For those of us left at home it can get a bit boring to say the least sooo . Ideas thoughts needed .We have been to some meets with Fun & MCC were schools colleges etc have been used a warm room usually provided .could be a risk for initial layout costs for the person wanting to do it is there any way round it ? MCC seem to have worked there way round such meets . Have any of you been thinking of doing anything similar . We loved Kens soul weekend and Hagnaps meets in the past so for those interested let's all put our thinking caps on and see if we could come up with ideas etc .

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Kate, the meet of Haganap's at the Knutsford hall was really good... Limited number of vans but so what ... It was the No Meat Meet ... don't know why called that as there was definitely meat there. :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Double click on first photo and then single click on that and you will get a run through.

Broken Link Removed

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Winter meets usually get a coald reception tried to raise interest a few times like raising the dead
Bill

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Yes think there needs to be a really good evening event to encourage people to venture out on a cold evening
A couple of suggestions are the Bridgewater carnival (absolutely brilliant) and on a smaller scale Matlock illuminations

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
The C & CC Folk Song & Dance section have regular meets involving village halls with carparks large enough to accommodate quite a few MHs.

Ones we've been to include Lower Brailes in Warwickshire and Beckford in Worcestershire. Local ones coming up are Hanbury and Shatterford, Worcs,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We manage to get off just as much in the winter as the summer.
Usually by ourselves to various favourite CL'S or with CCC . And the MCC section . If you want to go to the social rooms or marquee's they ( very nearly always ) provide , you can.
In fact I remember going to Hawes one winter. When we were walking past the little stone built room they use , for social gatherings, ( to the pub!) we heard our very own Suggs singing " and it's hey ho never........." !
Granted they aren't funsters rallies, but a few of you could arrange to go , and have a meet within a rally ??
Plus they are a cheaper way of getting out , rather than using campsites.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
The best 'closed' season venue I've been to in recent years with a club is Cheltenham race course. The caravan club site is utilised after it closes in mid October, all hardstanding and hookups available (at additional cost if wanted). The hardstanding in front of the 'Best Mate' stand is a bit sloping but gives a great view. The town 'Park & Ride' is in the main car park, a few minutes walk and the Gloucestershire Warwickshire railway runs steam trains over many weekends from the station in the racecourse (10 minute walk)Link RemovedSevern Valley MCC used to book it for the fireworks display every year, but that stopped a few years ago and a couple of railway groups. Sorry, never been involved in setting anything up at this location, so no contacts.
Very similar venue to @haganap wonderful New Years meet at Uttoxeter.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We tend to use Mcc up till Xmas then we park it up for the next 2 or 3 months depending on how wet and windy it gets.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
The simple thing to do is look in your caravan club meets or ccc meetdo that they do.
You then see which village halls they use and you then contact and book it having gone first to view is suitability..

I can never understand that 120 plus vans want to go to a show yet none of those want to arrange a simple get together at a village hall which is often more personal and more fun.

Nikki and I have done plenty over the years despite both having full time jobs and for the most part a young family..

Think we are awaiting the retired to step up to the mark now. .

Winter is the best time to be out in your van imo

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
the fix it meet is probably on for next year venue and date to be confirmed
bill

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We attended the Bridgwater carnival meet that Daventry from Motorhometoday forum arranged. Unfortunately none have been organised since, which is a shame as it was a great venue close to the carnival route and a hall to use in the evening. Maybe somebody from Bridgwater can resurect for 2017?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have just had a meet with the N+B owners club at Worksop, why Worksop? you might ask, well there is a small campsite a few hundred yards from the town centre, a cricket club house who made us welcome at their bar. We managed 13 vans which was all the site could take at the time but it's a great number to get to know people, you can arrange a meal out or just all go to wetherspoons etc etc.

My guess is that if anybody puts something on the forum they would soon get some company.

Lots going on in Shrewsbury Kate @Ambilkate and there is always the chance of negotiating a room to use if the weather inclement.

Martin

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We have just had a meet with the N+B owners club at Worksop, why Worksop? you might ask, well there is a small campsite a few hundred yards from the town centre, a cricket club house who made us welcome at their bar. We managed 13 vans which was all the site could take at the time but it's a great number to get to know people, you can arrange a meal out or just all go to wetherspoons etc etc.

My guess is that if anybody puts something on the forum they would soon get some company.

Lots going on in Shrewsbury Kate @Ambilkate and there is always the chance of negotiating a room to use if the weather inclement.

Martin

Hi Martin I did have a long chat with the people at Shrewsbury and there is loads of stuff going on during the year . They are going to email me with events for the year. There is a carbooty's type market on there thought that would be good but was waiting to see the room at new year and see what the site itself is like before I jump in and arrange anything. The idea of this thread I was hoping was to see who else would be interested in doing or helping with meets .
X Kate

Deleted User
As it has been said, MCC and CCC hold winter rallies. The obvious is they have an annual membership fee. Therefore if cash for the organiser is the stumbling block, either a yearly fee, or 2 Fold Membership Card is a possible answer.
Not personally interested in regions, meetings, committees etc, the strangle hold and slow death knell of many organisations.BN included.
But their could be a holding National Treasurer using an escrow account, that organisers could loan from. Fund raising at the event could make up cash difference and pass on excess.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
As it has been said, MCC and CCC hold winter rallies. The obvious is they have an annual membership fee. Therefore if cash for the organiser is the stumbling block, either a yearly fee, or 2 Fold Membership Card is a possible answer.
Not personally interested in regions, meetings, committees etc, the strangle hold and slow death knell of many organisations.BN included.
But their could be a holding National Treasurer using an escrow account, that organisers could loan from. Fund raising at the event could make up cash difference and pass on excess.
I personally do not want MHF to end up like the CC or C&CC. It is mainly a forum devised and run by @Jim and the money we pay each year goes towards Jim's costs and so he can make some profit for all the time he devotes to the forum.

Meets and rallies we may organise in MHF's name are for fun as well, and any money they make has to go to charity and does not go back to either the organiser or Jim (Jim's rules). That is the way I like it, as do others I suspect. Those meets and rallies (aside form the ones for the shows) are run by volunteers.

The only way that CC and C&CC hold so many rallies is that they have lots of standing committees who are there to do this. I, like you, do not think that is the right way to go. So that means we are reliant upon ad hoc volunteers. I suspect that the reasons that there are few winter rallies is firstly that they are not particularly popular because of the weather risks and secondly because most of the people on the forum who would run or go to them are in sunnier places over the winter.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
For sure there are less Funsters either at home or interested in going out in their motorhome during the winter months and indeed I think any winter rallies/meets would need to be completely different formats as not many want to sit out in a field a freeze their bits off.

How much interest would there be? Don't know until somebody tests it I guess, yes New Year is popular but that is a special occasion.

Martin

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Someone "organised" a meet up at the Canterbury P+R some time ago, a venue like that, or a repeat, would be good at a time of year when it is not so busy. I think the group also organised a meal one evening.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Someone "organised" a meet up at the Canterbury P+R some time ago, a venue like that, or a repeat, would be good at a time of year when it is not so busy. I think the group also organised a meal one evening.
Canterbury park and ride is an Aire, if it starts to be a venue for meets it may not be a Aire for long, just an observation.;)

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Canterbury park and ride is an Aire, if it starts to be a venue for meets it may not be a Aire for long, just an observation.;)

You might be right if there were consistent complaints from people who could not get on the aired because some others had arranged to meet up there. I can't see there is anything wrong with an informal arrangement to meet up with others so long no-one blocked empty spaces to keep them for people arriving later.

I did hear of a group arranging to meet at the Canterbury CCC site and having a meal at Polo Farm (that is a nearby sports centre for those who do not know the area, @kevan and I being local).

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
I haven't considered the ' who would attend question' just thought about what sort of place. Main thing must be hard standing followed by water supply and grey/black disposal. Livestock auction sites seem to fit the bill and are rarely used more than once a week, often only once a month. Many country towns have them and not all run car boot sales at weekends.
Perhaps those living in such places and who are interested could put out feelers.
Not me, as you know I favour warmer climes. ( Even if we have had several thunder storms over the past few days).

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I haven't considered the ' who would attend question' just thought about what sort of place. Main thing must be hard standing followed by water supply and grey/black disposal. Livestock auction sites seem to fit the bill and are rarely used more than once a week, often only once a month. Many country towns have them and not all run car boot sales at weekends.
Perhaps those living in such places and who are interested could put out feelers.
Not me, as you know I favour warmer climes. ( Even if we have had several thunder storms over the past few days).
One more thing to add to your "must have" is a place for everybody to sit in the warm and have a chat. No point in arranging a meeting if people just sit in their motorhomes because it is too cold to go out.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Ive organised over 30 meets for fun in all seasons in all weathers..we have never worried about who would come or how many or what people want to do when they get there.
We have had people come and stay in their vans all weekend and never come out and leave the best reviews ever..
We have arranged meets where we have had to do nothing more than turn up and every one else has mucked in and taken over.
Many many funsters have joined as a result of the meets we and others have put on over the years..

We have taken the decision to probably make new years the last for us. We have done all these meets whilst both working full time and for many of the early meets raising a young family.
Organising meets is one of the most rewarding things you can do and a great way to get too meet people.
So stop talking about it-find a venue like your local village hall-grab a theme and stick it up..go on your retired with plenty of time on your hands... ;-)

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
One more thing to add to your "must have" is a place for everybody to sit in the warm and have a chat. No point in arranging a meeting if people just sit in their motorhomes because it is too cold to go out.

Indeed, I haven't made any enquries but livestock auction sites often areas indoors. The sale ring for one and there is often a cafe.

Just thoughts I'm sure others will know of other venue types.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ive organised over 30 meets for fun in all seasons in all weathers..we have never worried about who would come or how many or what people want to do when they get there.
We have had people come and stay in their vans all weekend and never come out and leave the best reviews ever..
We have arranged meets where we have had to do nothing more than turn up and every one else has mucked in and taken over.
Many many funsters have joined as a result of the meets we and others have put on over the years..

We have taken the decision to probably make new years the last for us. We have done all these meets whilst both working full time and for many of the early meets raising a young family.
Organising meets is one of the most rewarding things you can do and a great way to get too meet people.
So stop talking about it-find a venue like your local village hall-grab a theme and stick it up..go on your retired with plenty of time on your hands... ;-)

Wow 30+ meets Paul "respect" but I reckon you still have a few more in you as well, you are right though that it is also time for others to take up the challenge and yes it is rewarding to put on a meet and see everybody enjoy themselves and ultimately go home happy.

Martin

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp

Hi
Never been to one of your meets as only joined last Year and have enjoyed all the ones we could fit in. I posted this because I sense frustration from you which I can understand. We used to organise, change of subject, football, home and away tickets including transport, flights,hotels ect and had enormous pleasure when it all came off. If, in the future I can do something to help this wonderful, club ? association? as I seen debates on here about this,then I will. My problem at the moment and am sure with lots on here is, although being retired we have elderly parent problems and recently daughter's marriage,with three children, breaking up.
We don't know each other and I sincerely hope from what I read from other funsters that we do in the future. So,at the end of that,what more can I ramble on ( sounds a bit like E. Clapton. GOD ) about, please stick with it and hope to meet up sometime next year.
Ray

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back