Rally Chat More rally's and meets needed?

Discussion in 'Rally Planning Discussion and Chat' started by Ambilkate, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

Been giving this a lot of thought especially now the winter is nearly upon us . Luckily for some they will be venturing of to warmer climates . For those of us left at home it can get a bit boring to say the least sooo . Ideas thoughts needed .We have been to some meets with Fun & MCC were schools colleges etc have been used a warm room usually provided .could be a risk for initial layout costs for the person wanting to do it is there any way round it ? MCC seem to have worked there way round such meets . Have any of you been thinking of doing anything similar . We loved Kens soul weekend and Hagnaps meets in the past so for those interested let's all put our thinking caps on and see if we could come up with ideas etc .

• Like Like x 13
  2. rosierose

rosierose Funster

Good thread, Kate. My initial thoughts would be the possibility of hiring a village hall, if it has sufficient suitable parking for MH's.
    Obviously, if costs are incurred then deposits would have to be requested.

• Like Like x 4
  3. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

The local sections of the C&CC seem to use schools a lot for their weekend and holiday meets. Anybody here been involved in organising them and could give advice?

• Like Like x 1
  4. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Kate, the meet of Haganap's at the Knutsford hall was really good... Limited number of vans but so what ... It was the No Meat Meet ... don't know why called that as there was definitely meat there. :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. movan

movan Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

7. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Winter meets usually get a coald reception tried to raise interest a few times like raising the dead
    Bill

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife Read Only Funster

Yes think there needs to be a really good evening event to encourage people to venture out on a cold evening
    A couple of suggestions are the Bridgewater carnival (absolutely brilliant) and on a smaller scale Matlock illuminations

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

The C & CC Folk Song & Dance section have regular meets involving village halls with carparks large enough to accommodate quite a few MHs.

Ones we've been to include Lower Brailes in Warwickshire and Beckford in Worcestershire. Local ones coming up are Hanbury and Shatterford, Worcs,

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ambilkate

Thanks to those that replied . Out on travels at min . Will give it more thought and check out links when we have better internet x

• Like Like x 4
  11. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We manage to get off just as much in the winter as the summer.
    Usually by ourselves to various favourite CL'S or with CCC . And the MCC section . If you want to go to the social rooms or marquee's they ( very nearly always ) provide , you can.
    In fact I remember going to Hawes one winter. When we were walking past the little stone built room they use , for social gatherings, ( to the pub!) we heard our very own Suggs singing " and it's hey ho never........." !
    Granted they aren't funsters rallies, but a few of you could arrange to go , and have a meet within a rally ??
    Plus they are a cheaper way of getting out , rather than using campsites.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Detnor

Detnor Funster

The best 'closed' season venue I've been to in recent years with a club is Cheltenham race course. The caravan club site is utilised after it closes in mid October, all hardstanding and hookups available (at additional cost if wanted). The hardstanding in front of the 'Best Mate' stand is a bit sloping but gives a great view. The town 'Park & Ride' is in the main car park, a few minutes walk and the Gloucestershire Warwickshire railway runs steam trains over many weekends from the station in the racecourse (10 minute walk) Severn Valley MCC used to book it for the fireworks display every year, but that stopped a few years ago and a couple of railway groups. Sorry, never been involved in setting anything up at this location, so no contacts.
    Very similar venue to @haganap wonderful New Years meet at Uttoxeter.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

We tend to use Mcc up till Xmas then we park it up for the next 2 or 3 months depending on how wet and windy it gets.

14. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

The simple thing to do is look in your caravan club meets or ccc meetdo that they do.
    You then see which village halls they use and you then contact and book it having gone first to view is suitability..

I can never understand that 120 plus vans want to go to a show yet none of those want to arrange a simple get together at a village hall which is often more personal and more fun.

Nikki and I have done plenty over the years despite both having full time jobs and for the most part a young family..

Think we are awaiting the retired to step up to the mark now. .

Winter is the best time to be out in your van imo

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

16. FJmike

FJmike Funster

We attended the Bridgwater carnival meet that Daventry from Motorhometoday forum arranged. Unfortunately none have been organised since, which is a shame as it was a great venue close to the carnival route and a hall to use in the evening. Maybe somebody from Bridgwater can resurect for 2017?

17. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

We have just had a meet with the N+B owners club at Worksop, why Worksop? you might ask, well there is a small campsite a few hundred yards from the town centre, a cricket club house who made us welcome at their bar. We managed 13 vans which was all the site could take at the time but it's a great number to get to know people, you can arrange a meal out or just all go to wetherspoons etc etc.

My guess is that if anybody puts something on the forum they would soon get some company.

Lots going on in Shrewsbury Kate @Ambilkate and there is always the chance of negotiating a room to use if the weather inclement.

Martin

• Like Like x 4
  18. Ambilkate

Hi Martin I did have a long chat with the people at Shrewsbury and there is loads of stuff going on during the year . They are going to email me with events for the year. There is a carbooty's type market on there thought that would be good but was waiting to see the room at new year and see what the site itself is like before I jump in and arrange anything. The idea of this thread I was hoping was to see who else would be interested in doing or helping with meets .
    X Kate

• Like Like x 2
  19. RanC

RanC Funster

As it has been said, MCC and CCC hold winter rallies. The obvious is they have an annual membership fee. Therefore if cash for the organiser is the stumbling block, either a yearly fee, or 2 Fold Membership Card is a possible answer.
    Not personally interested in regions, meetings, committees etc, the strangle hold and slow death knell of many organisations.BN included.
    But their could be a holding National Treasurer using an escrow account, that organisers could loan from. Fund raising at the event could make up cash difference and pass on excess.

20. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

I personally do not want MHF to end up like the CC or C&CC. It is mainly a forum devised and run by @Jim and the money we pay each year goes towards Jim's costs and so he can make some profit for all the time he devotes to the forum.

Meets and rallies we may organise in MHF's name are for fun as well, and any money they make has to go to charity and does not go back to either the organiser or Jim (Jim's rules). That is the way I like it, as do others I suspect. Those meets and rallies (aside form the ones for the shows) are run by volunteers.

The only way that CC and C&CC hold so many rallies is that they have lots of standing committees who are there to do this. I, like you, do not think that is the right way to go. So that means we are reliant upon ad hoc volunteers. I suspect that the reasons that there are few winter rallies is firstly that they are not particularly popular because of the weather risks and secondly because most of the people on the forum who would run or go to them are in sunnier places over the winter.

• Like Like x 3